Deluxe Reverb Alnico??

What's Hot
strat84strat84 Frets: 328

Just wondered if any of you guys have ever tried an alnico speaker in a DR? I've tried a few ceramics but nothings really grabbed me so far..

The Weber 12f150 I tried was a little bright with this amp, maybe I didnt give it chance to fully break in.. Cannabis Rex did shave some off the high end but maybe its a little too smooth, great with an OD pedal though! Im thinking would an alnico be somewhere in the middle.. Not to bright, retain the Fender sparkle and twang, and also good with OD pedals. The Weber 12A150 sounds interesting, as does the WGS G12A but both would be quite an expensive experiment!! Any thoughts fellas?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    edited September 2013
    I haven't tried the Webers, but the Jensen P12N is pretty much the standard for this amp and sounds very good in it.

The P12Q might be OK if you're looking for something a bit less 'bold' sounding, but is less sensitive so the amp will seem quieter - which is either an advantage or not depending on how you want to use it.

I would avoid the P12R - they're even quieter (despite the same dB rating as the Q) and lack bottom end. I tried a P12R in a Deluxe once and it was so weedy I thought the amp wasn't working properly at first.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• strat84strat84 Frets: 328
     Great thanks! Are we talking Jensen reissue's or an original? 
    edited September 2013
    Reissue. They don't sound the same as the originals, but they're fine for what they are - a fairly affordable modern Alnico speaker. Although I've just seen that the price has gone up a lot since I last looked! Still cheaper than a Celestion Gold.

The P12Q is a lot cheaper though - not much more than half the price of the P12N, because it has a much smaller magnet - so if sensitivity isn't an issue it may be worth thinking about.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    I put a 10" Celestion Alnico speaker in a Princeton reissue.
    Sounded amazing.
    Yeah I have nothing against reissues, im sure they sound great just haven't tried one.

Well a little breakup at home would be great so the Q maybe a good option.. I know DR's are suppose to breakup early but mine is far to loud at home for any breakup, especially with SC pups.. Sounds nasty (in a good way) in a live setting on 7 though!! :)

Cheers guys ;)
  • Depending on your budget, have a look at the tayden ace 25 or the Alnico smooth. All made right here in the uk. The Alnico smooth could be right up your street. http://www.taydenspeakers.co.uk/tayden-smooth.html
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • got a celestion alnico gold in mine.  Sounds awesome.  had a cannabis rex previously which I did like as well. but the gold works great.
    Thanks guys! I'll look into these aswell.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Hey, someone is selling some golds on here... *self interest post*
  • Tayden ace 25 are the speaker choice of Jesse Hoff of lazy j amps. He puts them in for his J40's I think. Although some choose to replace them :)
    bandmaster188;45020" said:
    Depending on your budget, have a look at the tayden ace 25 or the Alnico smooth. All made right here in the uk.

The Alnico smooth could be right up your street.

http://www.taydenspeakers.co.uk/tayden-smooth.html
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    The Ace 25s are cool speakers. If you take the Blue as a starting point they've got a tiny bit less bass/ punch, the treble is smoother but brighter, and the midrange doesn't have quite the same bark - a little clearer and less coloured. Less crang!!!! / speaker breakup I guess. But they're still the closest speaker to the celestion blue I've heard, closer than the weber blue dog and celestion gold.
    Cirrus said:
    But they're still the closest speaker to the celestion blue I've heard, closer than the weber blue dog and celestion gold.
    According to Celestion, the Gold sounds exactly like a Blue but with higher power handling.

:)

It doesn't.

To me it sounds like a cross between a Blue and a V30.

To be honest, that's why for the most part I prefer the Golds.

Though I have had a hankering for some blues this last week, I think it might be an attack of GAS I can battle through.
    Cirrus said:
    To be honest, that's why for the most part I prefer the Golds.
    Same here, although I sold mine last week because it didn't sound different enough from a V30 - and how it did sound different did not like the 'modern high gain' mode on my Trem-o-verb, it had a sort of metallic overtone. It was great in my Blue Angel, but I sold that...

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716

ICBM said:
    Cirrus said:
    But they're still the closest speaker to the celestion blue I've heard, closer than the weber blue dog and celestion gold.
    According to Celestion, the Gold sounds exactly like a Blue but with higher power handling.

:)

It doesn't.

To me it sounds like a cross between a Blue and a V30.
    Would agree with this.  The Gold is harsher to my ears.

The Blue is conservatively rated at 15W. I believe that people have gotten away with putting them in Deluxe Reverbs.

For a DR an American voiced speaker might make sense.  It might be worth looking out for a Weber 12A150 on Ebay.  They are quite a lot cheaper second hand than new.

If you go the Jensen route I'd go for the P12N.  I've had a P12Q and it tended to flub out in the low end a lot.
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401
    edited September 2013
    Tayden ace 25 are the speaker choice of Jesse Hoff of lazy j amps. He puts them in for his J40's I think. Although some choose to replace them :)

bandmaster188;45020" said:
    Depending on your budget, have a look at the tayden ace 25 or the Alnico smooth. All made right here in the uk.

yep. i had the ace 25 in my j 20!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Yes I remember you having a J20. I think I have a Celestion blue in mine
    bandmaster188;45649" said:
    hotpickups said:

Tayden ace 25 are the speaker choice of Jesse Hoff of lazy j amps. He puts them in for his J40's I think. Although some choose to replace them :)

bandmaster188;45020" said:Depending on your budget, have a look at the tayden ace 25 or the Alnico smooth. All made right here in the uk.

yep. i had the ace 25 in my j 20!
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    My J20 has a Blue.  Jesse has used both.
    Im guessing the Tayden Ace is 25 watt?? Would that be safe to use in a DR?

I had to have one reconed when using a pair with an AC50, so I think they might not be as conservatively rated as blues. It didn't totally blow, it just had a bit of crackle around clean notes.