Nighthawks

What's Hot
BidleyBidley Frets: 2959

I've been lusting after these for years, but never had chance to play one.

On paper, they're a great guitar for me; the things I don't like about Les Pauls (massive body, 24.75" scale length, angled neck) are different with these. I love the plain weird pickup situation as well.

I realise, looks-wise, they're very much marmite, but what are people's thoughts, those that have played one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Never played one, but was interested for ages and heard a dude in a pub play one a couple of years ago. Sounded ace.

Not quite sure about the p/u selectr though, aesthetically speaking
    All practice and no theory
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    dafuzz said:
    Not quite sure about the p/u selectr though, aesthetically speaking

Agreed, but most things about it are aesthetically questionable, so it kind of fits in that respect, IMO.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Always had a thing for the Nighthawk, but think SG Juniors are just a bit better and more comfortable. The 90s nightawk I've played was a very similar neck to my 94 Les Paul Studio. Didn't get to use it through an amp unfortunately
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25095
    Never played one, but I've always been quite interested in them for some of the same reasons you mention - the compact size, the low profile bridge, the generally "different" look.  I must say I'm not sure about the slanted bridge pickup and I don't really like the ones with a middle pickup....

I'd like to know how the neck feels.  Descriptions vary but I've formed the impression it's a little narrower than usual but quite deep and rounded - which sounds quite appealing to me.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 660
    Love the look, thought seriously about getting one of the Epiphone ones a few years ago, but was put off by the unorthodox pickup arrangement (I like pickup swapping and it's hard to find ones to fit the slanted bridge and oddly mounted middle pups.)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28434
    I've got one.

It's one of the originals, had it from new (Peter Cook's sometime in the mid-90s).

Given that I've had it for something like 20 years, you can assume that I quite like it.

Although it's vaguely reminiscent of a LP (single cutaway) in shape, its really a completely different guitar.  

Clearly, no top carving and separate cap, its thinner than a LP, there's little neck angle, its a different body shape (and I think it's marmite because it's so unfamiliar and uncommon).  So it's a lot lighter and easier on the shoulder, and I think the arm angle is easier too.

But the biggest + for me is the tonal flexibility of it.  Simple switching, but that gives quick access to a wide range of sounds.  5-wat with a push/pull.  The bridge HB is a real rocker, the neck mini is a lot calmer.  I barely use the middle SC though, but it's nice to know that it's there and that it might "come in handy one day".

There was a reissue (it's Gibson, of course there was a reissue) a few years ago, and an Epi version too.  Don't see many of any of them around anywhere.  There was a semi-version - Blueshawk - which I'd grab if ever I stumbled across one.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    @TTony nice.

How many guitars u got man?
    blueskunk said:
    Are you my wife?

;)
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    I set one up for a relative of a friend of mine, in the late nineties.

It was a typical Gibson of the period - high nut, badly finished fingerboard and frets - but cool in an odd sort of way.

It was tonally flexible, though none of the tones were 'classically' Gibson-like.

It was the sort of guitar that I'd like to own if it were cheap enough....
    TTony;469512" said:
    blueskunk said:

Are you my wife?

;)
    U married?
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    We don't need a dating section adding do we :))
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I always imagined Big T as a Hugh Hefner type, strolling around palatial gardens surrounded by hot barely dressed women with hot guitars.

Damn!!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    blueskunk said:
    I always imagined Big T as a Hugh Hefner type, strolling around palatial gardens surrounded by hot barely dressed women with hot guitars.

Yup.

So did I ...

:(
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I was always intrigued by them. I missed the boat when they were being sold off cheap first time around. I liked the oddballness of them.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I had a quick spin on an Epiphone Nighthawk and thought it was unremarkable.

I've always hated the way they look as well.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We had an early 90's Sunburst one in the shop I used to work at, it was great. Still regret not buying it for the £300 it owed us.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • TTony;469512" said:
    blueskunk said:

Are you my wife?

;)
    I wish...

... Honey.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4971
    edited January 2015
    I've always liked them and at one time nearly bought one for £750 - brilliantly versatile tonally.  Prices now seem a bit high.  However, Epiphone do a Nighthawk Custom Reissue for £299.  Whilst I haven't played one it sounds pretty good in the spec with an ebony board, AAA maple top, all the right switching gear etc.  When I get a new job, maybe I'll treat myself if it plays nicely & sounds good:

Body & Bridge:

• Top: AAA Flamed Maple Veneer
    • Back: Mahogany
    • Binding: Cream and Black on Top
    • Bridge: Nighthawk fully-adjustable; String-Thru body - Nickel

Neck & Headstock:

• Neck: Mahogany - SlimTaper; D-shaped
    • Truss Rod: Traditional Adjustable
    • Headstock Logo: Epiphone
    • Headstock Inlay: Flower Pot
    • Truss Rod Cover: Black and White Antique Bell with engraved 'Nighthawk Custom Reissue'
    • Fingerboard: Ebony
    • Frets: 22
    • Radius: 12"
    • Scale Length: 25.5"
    • Binding: Cream Binding
    • Inlays: Mother-of-Pearl "Crown" Inlays
    • Nut Material: Synthetic Bone Substitute
    • Nut Width: 1.68"

Pickups & Hardware:

• Neck Pickups: NHR Mini-Humbucker; 4-wire - Alnico II
    • Middle Pickups: NSX Single-Coil - Alnico II
    • Bridge Pickups: Slant NHT Humbucker; 4-wire - Alnico II
    • Knobs: Gold Top Hat Knobs
    • Strap Buttons: Die-cast Steel and Nickel Plated.
    • Strings: .010 - .046, Swedish steel "hex" core
    • Tuners: Nickel Grover Tuners
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I always wanted a Blues hawk but have never tried one...