My new album! James Deane & 11:57

What's Hot
jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
edited January 2015 in Making Music
I have just finished recording my new album, very happy with it! Inspired by The Bluesbreakers, Traffic, Cream, Fleetwood Mac etc etc I set about to make a record ...basically for me. It's me on all guitars and vocals and my mates Steve, Nick and Bill on drums, bass and hammond. Recorded mostly live with overdubbed vocals. Please let me know your thoughts! All tunes are originals except 'Shame Shame Shame' which is an old Jimmy Reed song.

https://jamesdeane1157.bandcamp.com/album/11-57
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Anyone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MatthewShredderyMatthewShreddery Frets: 861
    edited January 2015
    Really like this - so many old school vibes going on, keeping things real. Lovely guitar playing and tones. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6527
    edited January 2015
    Only got time to listen to Pretending for now, but wow! Definitely nailed the vibe you were after! Reminds me of the BBM album, if you know it? Basically a Cream feel but with Gary Moore's more muscular guitar work (as opposed to Clapton...but I'm no Clapton fan, so I'm a bit biased!)

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Listened to a couple of tunes and really like it, will definately come back for more listening. Your vocals are stronger than 90% of the modern guitar-totting Blues guys, and there is definately a Gary Moore vibe when he is on his quieter moments. Nicely done.
  • Thanks all!
  • Alibi is very steely dan meets jimi! I like!
  • guitarman;472435" said:
    Alibi is very steely dan meets jimi! I like!
    Yeah, I've never heard 'Crosstown Traffic' before.. Honest!!
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    edited January 2015
    It's not my type of music, but it's well done. Could do with more "balls" (effects wise-it sounds a little clipped to my ears) to some of the guitar bits for me-but that's probably more to do with my own personal preference. Singing is good-nice voice.

Great feeling to get a full album done.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Really liking it! Totally up my street. Good job! I enjoyed the guitar playing, but it's a big plus to get that good a singer in as well, certainly lifts the overall quality.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72620
    Definitely agree about the Gary Moore - but also slightly Jack Bruce - vocals… like RocknRollDave it reminds me a bit of BBM. Great guitar sounds too.

If there's a criticism it's that the bass and drums are nowhere near aggressive or punchy enough in the mix, and sound far too polite.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Will try to remember and listen!! Are you distributing this? 
  • Will try to remember and listen!! Are you distributing this? 

cheers! Yes, it will be officially released in the summer, this is an exclusive streaming for the fretboard.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Very good mate, very good indeed.

on the drums and bass - yeah, I'd maybe put a bit a bit more pucnh into them, bit more presence and attack, they are a bit yeah, polite is a good description, only slightly so though.

v cool though, top drawer singing too.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6165
    edited January 2015
    Bloody loved this! Right up my street. 

Very old school and you definitely got the vibe you were looking for. Great vocals buy the way, like Eric and Bruce mixed up. I like the guitar work as well, lots of bite and great classic soloing.

As @Snap says it might be worth trying to get more punch on the bass and drums... but then it might detract from the old-school type mix.

Will def buy the CD when it comes out

:)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    edited January 2015
    It's mixed and mastered and I'm not going to spend any more money on it so it's done! We got as much punch as possible out of the drums as the drummer is a light touch player which I prefer as the actual tone of the drums can be heard. We definitely approached the recording in an old school way. Live takes, no equipment changes, no change in personnel. I used a 1963 Hofner Verithin on the neck pickup through a treble booster into an EVA Marshall treble & bass clone 1x12 combo for the rhythm guitars and a '63 Gibson SG standard for the solos through the same amp but with a hint of slap-back delay. I also used my 73 les Paul deluxe for the solos on the mellower tunes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Jimmy - I like this!

I would like to see your next effort recorded with the budget that Joe Bonamassa had to make his last album. 
    :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    jimmy - like I said, not really a big deal, sounds great, got a real trad feel to it. Reminds me of all the good stuff, Rory Gallagher etc.
    edited January 2015
    Snap said:
    jimmy - like I said, not really a big deal, sounds great, got a real trad feel to it. Reminds me of all the good stuff, Rory Gallagher etc.

Thanks!!
    Now officially 'for sale' and in this week's best sellers list on Bandcamp! Thanks to everyone for your kind words and plays/downloads :)
  • Sounds great, vocals are spot on brilliant however as others have said all the instuments need a bit more balls to them but sounds great anyway.
    Old Is Gold