Any Fellow Chilli growers out there ?

What's Hot
xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
Just wondering if any of you guys/girls are fellow growers of the hot stuff?

Ive been growing various types of chilli's for the past 5 years or so & for me it all started when my sister bought home a "Ring Of Fire" chilli plant from a car boot sale! kinda got a bit out of hand since then & last year i had about 70-80 plants at one point,managed to thin that down to about 40 or so by giving them to family & friends

This year I have about 25 different varieties on the go mostly super hots (trin scorp/naga's/7pots/reapers) and hot habanero types (choc habs/trinity/bigsun/devil tongues)inc a few new varieties i haven't grown or tasted before as well as a few old favs im also re-trying some failed to rippen varieties i grew in 2012 (what a horrid light/heat level year that was for growing anything let a lone chilli's !) i always tend to over plant seeds having 3-5 of each types helps if i have any germination issues,problem comes from me not being able to force myself to cull any healthy seedlings ;)

Can't seems find my 2014 plant pics atm but here's a few from 2013

Red Naga's + 7 pot Brain Strains

devil tongues red

So any other growers here? if so what got you into it and what are you growing this year?

Laters
Gizmo

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited January 2015
    That's cool! What's the chance of a cutting or 2?? I grow my own veg and would love seem chilli's! :-) I'm literally 4 miles from you. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Got my first plant for a long time. Keep meaning to find some Peter peppers.
  • The house I bought last year has a greenhouse. I'm crap at growing stuff but the folk I drink with in the village pub seem keen to get me growing tomatoes, capsicums, and chillies. I'm up for trying it :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    I grow about seven types.  I've got a really nice spherical Japanese chili!   I love the stuff, get through it like you wouldn't believe.  I've got tubs stuffed full of different dried chili's in the kitchen.

Every trip I go on, I always bring back nice salad, tomato and chilli seeds.

I grow various greens, salad, loads of different tomatoes, peas, beans, potatoes,aubergines, courgettes, onions/garlic and artichokes. I've also got a few fruit trees.  I've got a fruit press now, so might try making some fruity booze this year.

My father in law has an enormous garden, and grows tonnes of stuff.  He also makes his own wine from the vineyard in his garden. Top bloke.

Marlin
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    yes, I have a polytunnel where I grow em...
    no pics im afraid but I fill the thing with chili's
    will post pics as they come this year :)
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    If there's anything that could ever get me into gardening, it's the thermal excesses of the capiscum fruit.

Looks like quite a crop - What do you do with them all Gizmo?
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    I should start growing them again, wifey Poyd is from Thailand and uses them daily by the handful, save me a fortune and keep her happy. Suppose that means sorting the greenhouse out over the next few weeks.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I have a little plant in the kitchen that gets used-bought the plant ready grown so it is cheating I guess...handy though.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    edited January 2015
    Phil_aka_Pip;481361" said:
    The house I bought last year has a greenhouse. I'm crap at growing stuff but the folk I drink with in the village pub seem keen to get me growing tomatoes, capsicums, and chillies. I'm up for trying it :)
    Try cucumbers as well Phil. I did them in the greenhouse last year for the first time and we got loads of cucumbers. I wouldn't count myself as a gardener either, so if I can do it, anyone can.

Btw you don't really need a greenhouse for tomatoes, just bung some plants straight into grow bags outdoors. We got a huge amount of tomatoes off just 9 plants in 3 grow bags last year. So many, we ended up giving masses away, made a dozen or so pots of tomato relish, on top of eating tomatoes nearly every day.

Oh and to the OP. Nice job on the chillis. Don't like them personally, but looks like you haz skillz maaaan. :)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I'm dead keen to try growing peppers and chilli, but without a greenhouse, I reckon I'll fail, so I need to get something organised in that department. Mrs C has banned plant cultivation in the conservatory, so that's out, and I guess I'll have to knock something up outside.

• xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    Hey guys

Nice to see some fellow fans of the hot stuff :)

A lot of my pod get used in home made sauces/chutneys/powders/relish/jams ect ect & I tend to dehydrate a rest of them for storage/cooking over the winter (i found freezing robs them of a lot of heat/flavor and the just go to mush on reheat) & the guys at my local curry house also gets a bang of naga's/super hots once or twice a month which keeps them sweet and always happy to custom cook anything i fancy with them

Home made chilli sauces taste so so much better than that tat you get in the shops,9-10 i cant even taste any of the flavor of the chilli pods in shop brought sauces they just have heat and what ever spices they bung in

I also grow onions,runner beans,beetroots and i started growing my own tomatoes last year as well as having a a few mini cucumber
    plants like Boogieman (after about the 5th or 6th one i was stick of eating them and gave a lot away)

A few tips i picked up that really helped my plants grow stronger and pod better are final pot them into self watering pots

great guide to DIY for SWP can be found here http://www.thechilliking.com/diy-self-watering-pot/

I also did a test in 2013 where i foliage stripped some seedlings (see here for the low down http://driedhotpeppers.com/why_we_strip_our_plants.html) they took a while to bounce back but gave at least 1/3 more pods than the non stripped plants 2014's plants didnt get stripped due to them being late germinating (busted heated propagator) still had a good harvest but not as good as 2013,will strip again this year though

@ mrchi i don't over winter my plants so no chance of cuttings but i can do better than cuttings anyway as i'll have quite a few seedlings left over and once there strong enough to pot on i'll give you a shout

• I'm dead keen to try growing peppers and chilli, but without a greenhouse, I reckon I'll fail, so I need to get something organised in that department. Mrs C has banned plant cultivation in the conservatory, so that's out, and I guess I'll have to knock something up outside.
    I thought that's what a conservatory is for!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I'm dead keen to try growing peppers and chilli, but without a greenhouse, I reckon I'll fail, so I need to get something organised in that department. Mrs C has banned plant cultivation in the conservatory, so that's out, and I guess I'll have to knock something up outside.
    I thought that's what a conservatory is for!
    Apparently not in this household. Though I have tried the usual routes: pleading, grovelling, and offers  of gratuitous, booze-fuelled weekends including oral sex, etc. The answer was still the same.

• RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    edited January 2015
    We grow chillies of various types. They don't look as pretty as @Gizmo 's, so perhaps we should try stripping back the leaves.  Some get used fresh, and some dried, but the top favourites are Chilly Jelly, and chilli chocolate fudge.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • @chillidoggy show her this from dictionary.com

nounplural conservatories.
    a school giving instruction in one or more of the fine or dramatic arts;specifically, a school of music.
    a greenhouse, usually attached to a dwelling, for growing and displaying plants.
    Archaic. a place where things are preserved.
    adjective
    serving or adapted to conserve; preservative.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    Lol those are Peter peppers,grew them in 2013,didn't get many thanks to the shitty weather but only worth it for a laugh as they tasted vile

@chillidoggy tell her your entering a chilli growing contest and you can win a handbag or some shoes for her that might just work ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    I thought they were Chilli's willy.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    I like to grow stuff and my little greenhouse usually gets used for tomatoes and capsicums once the other seedlings are moved out. I have done chillies too but have since learned that not only is an early start required but they need to be shocked into producing fruit to get them set for the summer. In the past I've had them in the same moist ground as the tomatoes so they've just become huge happy bushes. This year they will be in pots so they can be dried/shocked in early June. I am planning to get the seed in this very week.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Sadly Mrs J sold the Greenhouse last autumn ... :(

Might try some outdoor varieties this year as patio plants. Suggestions (and names of mail-order nurserys) welcome
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback