Clay / Game Shooters

What's Hot

Comments

• @VimFuego - My issue was more with grown men pretending it's a sport. If they need game for food it would be far more efficient to rear them for food (they rear the birds anyway), not for people to have an excuse to get together and make believe they are hunting. Plus you have to remove the shot from the bird to eat it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    @thisisguitar totally agree, wisdom awarded for all of the above, its just a shame we're in the minority in our thinking.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @mrchi I thought I may end up going it alone in this one, but felt people should see how others may view it. No harm in trying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    @VimFuego - My issue was more with grown men pretending it's a sport. If they need game for food it would be far more efficient to rear them for food (they rear the birds anyway), not for people to have an excuse to get together and make believe they are hunting. Plus you have to remove the shot from the bird to eat it. 

far more efficient? how do you work that one out? A wild animal feeds itself, rears its own young and finds it's own housing. To rear an animal you need to feed it, breed them and house them, plus the associated costs to do with slaughter etc. Driven up shooting (to which you may be referring, is only one aspect of shooting in this country).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Dude, they aren't wild. They are reared for shooting. Game shooting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I used to be big into clay shooting. Down the line, sporting, skeet, I'd waste my money on all of 'em. And I thoroughly enjoyed it, too. I shot Olympic Trench once, which took my regular high 20's score to a measly 12/25. Shit, that was tough, and so fast.

Only shot game once though, that was a complete waste of time. Sat in a field of cabbages, or some other crop, waiting for pigeons to come in to land for absolutely ages, and no sign of the bastards whatsoever. We finally got so bored, we packed our gear up and as we trudged back to the van, what appeared to be the entire pigeon population of Kent took off from the same fucking field. Bastards.

Anyway, I sold my gun to pay for the deposit in my first house, and I haven't really done any since. I have however wasted far more money on musical equipment than I ever did on shooting clays, but at least I have something to show for some of it.

Driven shooting is only one aspect of game shooting, it runs the gamut of shooting rabbits right up to deer stalking. I shoot plenty of wild animals, not reared one of them. Of all the shooters I know, most are rough shooters, stalkers etc. I only know a handful of drive up shooters. As anecdotal as your tale, but it tells me that a significant number of hunters in this country shoot wild game not reared.

Only shot game once though, that was a complete waste of time. Sat in a field of cabbages, or some other crop, waiting for pigeons to come in to land for absolutely ages, and no sign of the bastards whatsoever. We finally got so bored, we packed our gear up and as we trudged back to the van, what appeared to be the entire pigeon population of Kent took off from the same fucking field. Bastards.

oddly enough, I'm more than happy to sit in a field somewhere for hours and not get a thing, but have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a range.

• Yeah, we're both on anecdotal evidence here. Plenty of people used to pay to use the land next to us, which was about 7-8 acres at a guess, and they put food there for the birds to stay. He reared them for it too. 

Shooting animals with high powered weapons, usually with scopes, is not a sport in my opinion. If you have to do it to survive, cool. If you are doing it for recreation you are a dick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

hmmm, it's a whole more complicated than the simplistic 2 option argument you are putting forward. It's a range thing going from survival to recreation, not a one or other thing. For example, I don't have to shoot game to survive, but I do eat what I kill (or the cats do). I do enjoy shooting, but it's not done solely for recreation. As you can see, it's not a binary thing.

• thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited January 2015
    I can understand that argument, and the one for controlling pests. It's just having experienced it on my doorstep in the way my then partner and I did, was pretty horrible. In fact it came across as sadistic.

what can I say, some people in the world are arseholes, including some people who shoot. Some people who play guitar are also arseholes, but I would never go round calling all people who play guitar dicks or saying they played guitar to compensate for a small dick.

@Vimfuego playing guitar doesn't really have an effect on a life in a negative way, it's can benefit us and those around us, where as game sports only benefit the one shooting, and to my it benefits an out dated desire to kill something which to be fair should have disappeared in the 1700s,

eating meat entails killing an animal, if you eat meat you are responsible for that death, it's no different if you pulled the trigger or had it done to some terrified animal in a slaughter house somewhere. I respect vegetarians who dislike hunting, I have no respect for meat eaters who condemn hunters.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    To be fair I respect your viewpoint there but with game shooting your not guaranteed a kill, which can contribute to a nasty painful end of the birds life, and this is why I dont eat corporate fast food at all, as the animals are treated awful, and really I think the whole food industry is pretty bad, I just think we should be past the shooting little birds for fun, to me its barbaric, just like Fox hunting, outdated and unnecessary, again just my opinion, and I dont let that reflect how I see you if you do like game hunting.
  • littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Most game gets eaten, tastes better than supermarket meat and is a fun day out.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    VimFuego said:

eating meat entails killing an animal, if you eat meat you are responsible for that death, it's no different if you pulled the trigger or had it done to some terrified animal in a slaughter house somewhere. I respect vegetarians who dislike hunting, I have no respect for meat eaters who condemn hunters.

I wouldn't say I'm against hunting except in its crueller forms, but there is a line somewhere between animals being killed for meat and shooting 10,000 birds in a day (impressive as that may be).
    imalone said:
    VimFuego said:

I wouldn't say I'm against hunting except in its crueller forms, but there is a line somewhere between animals being killed for meat and shooting 10,000 birds in a day (impressive as that may be).
    Is there a line? Does the 10,000th bird feel worse for being shot than the 1st. Why is 10k birds being shot wrong but 10k chickens being killed in a slaughter house OK? What exactly is it you are objecting to here?

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    mrchi said:
    @Vimfuego playing guitar doesn't really have an effect on a life in a negative way, it's can benefit us and those around us...

Playing full bore through a 100w Marshall at 3am in a residential area? :) Like Vim said - some people are just idiots; playing guitar, shooting, baking cakes or WHY doesn't make them so.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current