Clay / Game Shooters

What's Hot

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    VimFuego said:
    lloyd said:

Did you see this lass on the news (sorry for the DM link) Rachel Carrie Trolled on twitter for shooting stuff, I don't think she gives two shits about trolls though.

I quite like the idea of being able to hunt/shoot an animal, kill it, prep it, and eat it. I eat meat so I feel better knowing where it came from. Plus on some level its more fair to the animal as it has a chance to escape (especially trout and salmon .. have you seen my fly casting?). No animals ever escape from the abattoir.

I don't get trophy hunting, but I'm quite happy with fox hunting.

(btw enjoy that link, she's a babe)

Ahem....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-13503690

my primary school was located next door to the village butcher (who had an abattoir attached) and every so often we'd be kept in lock down cos a pig had escaped and they had to recapture it.
    My mate owns an abattoir, says the sheep are oblivious to what's about to happen and happily follow their mates toward oblivion, the cows are somewhat more aware. The pigs however, he reckons they know exactly what's going on and are constantly on the lookout for somewhere to run to. Makes me feel bad about eating pork-but then I just ignore those feelings and enjoy my bacon butty!

Not a job I'd want to do-but I'm glad there's people that do it....I used to hunt with an air rifle when I was a kid, and as I got older I'd prep and eat the pigeons and rabbits we shot (sold a few to the local butcher and a couple hotel chefs too) but I'm ashamed to admit that when I was younger (12/13) I'd try to shoot just about anything that moved and have killed my fair share of crows/squirrels/blackbirds etc....I'm glad now that I was a bad shot. I don't get why an adult would want to kill something just for fun, seems daft to me, as does raising a population of an animal or bird just to cull them. Hunting wild game is fair enough, I can kind of understand that someone might enjoy the process of tracking something, shooting it and then eating it, but it's not something I'd want to do.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I eat meat and I have no difficulty with hunting if the animal is going to be eaten.

In fact I think a long range shot to the head without warning / fear is far more humane than an abattoir.

Culls for scientifically valid reasons - a necessary evil.

But hunting just for the enjoyment of killing when the animal is considered a disposable plaything - nope.

VimFuego said:
    I don't personally like trophy hunting, however so long as the animal is killed as humanely as possible and has lived a natural life then I feel there are worse evils in the world. IME animals don't care why you kill them, none of them enjoy it. They don't sit there, on their little cloud in animal heaven and think, well at least I died to feed someone.
    I suppose the 'disposable plaything' bit is part of my view. It's less what the animal thinks about it (I assume if it had an opinion it would prefer not to), more that people should have some degree of respect for living creatures. Don't have a problem with hunting in general, my uncle was a game keeper and my sister in law's family are quite keen hunters. I used to do coarse fishing, can't remember why I stopped (something to do with it being a rather cold and wet pass-time involving keeping maggots in your fridge and not catching fish possibly).
    There's also the fact the kind of numbers I mentioned approach environmental impact, the passenger pigeon was wiped out in the 20th century (more by trapping than shooting it seems).
    And to answer the original question, personally have only done clay shooting, quite good fun.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3005
    So, searched for a thread on shooting and this seems like a good place to start.

I'd be a complete beginner but fancy having a go at something new next year and think I'd enjoy shooting.  But no idea how it works and my questions are below. For the record, I'm not interested in killing any animals

1. What's the best starting point? Is it best to by an air rifle or air pistol? If so what should I buy?
    2. Is it an automatic progression that I soon as I get an air gun in my hand I would want to have a go at the real thing and may as well have bought a shotgun/rifle/ray gun?
    3. Do I need to buy a gun at all, or is it better just to go to a shooting club and use theirs?
    4. And what about firearms certificates, do I need one for an air pistol?
    5. I quite fancy this being a sport thing i.e laying down shooting at a target, but clay pigeon shooting also appeals too. What's the reality here, what am I likely to find?

And of course...cost! What's an average afternoon clay pigeon shooting likely to cost, or is that all just a rich mans game and I'd be better off shooting at targets in the back garden?

I'd hate to think that I'd buy an air gun and then wish I'd have gone straight for a shotgun.

Or not at all!  But I'm up for trying anything once!

• DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    I don't see any fun in target shooting but I'm not interested in or comfortable with shooting birds/animals .
    I used to shoot a lot and I'm fairly decent at it.......the most enjoyable is to take yourself for an hours instruction at a good Clay School .They will provide the gun and the cartridges and show you how to shoot a shotgun and handle gun safety etc.
      Do not go to a 3rd rate Clay pigeon shoot .......it's worth going to a really proper clay school like Holland and Holland and learn properly for the first 5 or 6 sessions .
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 293
    Target shooting with an air rifle is quite different to clay pigeon shooting.   As already suggested, it might be best to find somewhere reputable where you could get some basic instruction/guidance, and try out activities before investing effort and money in equipment and certification.
    As a rough guide, my local clay ground charges 30p per clay, and about £6.00 per box of 25 cartridges.
    Link attached - have a browse and see the type of things on offer, although obviously it would vary depending on your location, but it may inspire you to know what to look for.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    lloyd said:
    VimFuego said:
    lloyd said:

Did you see this lass on the news (sorry for the DM link) Rachel Carrie Trolled on twitter for shooting stuff, I don't think she gives two shits about trolls though.

I quite like the idea of being able to hunt/shoot an animal, kill it, prep it, and eat it. I eat meat so I feel better knowing where it came from. Plus on some level its more fair to the animal as it has a chance to escape (especially trout and salmon .. have you seen my fly casting?). No animals ever escape from the abattoir.

I don't get trophy hunting, but I'm quite happy with fox hunting.

(btw enjoy that link, she's a babe)

Ahem....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-13503690

my primary school was located next door to the village butcher (who had an abattoir attached) and every so often we'd be kept in lock down cos a pig had escaped and they had to recapture it.
    My mate owns an abattoir, says the sheep are oblivious to what's about to happen and happily follow their mates toward oblivion, the cows are somewhat more aware. The pigs however, he reckons they know exactly what's going on and are constantly on the lookout for somewhere to run to. Makes me feel bad about eating pork-but then I just ignore those feelings and enjoy my bacon butty!

Not a job I'd want to do-but I'm glad there's people that do it....I used to hunt with an air rifle when I was a kid, and as I got older I'd prep and eat the pigeons and rabbits we shot (sold a few to the local butcher and a couple hotel chefs too) but I'm ashamed to admit that when I was younger (12/13) I'd try to shoot just about anything that moved and have killed my fair share of crows/squirrels/blackbirds etc....I'm glad now that I was a bad shot. I don't get why an adult would want to kill something just for fun, seems daft to me, as does raising a population of an animal or bird just to cull them. Hunting wild game is fair enough, I can kind of understand that someone might enjoy the process of tracking something, shooting it and then eating it, but it's not something I'd want to do.
    A lot of abattoirs used to have or maybe still do have what was called a Judas pig, it was kept there and basically trained to lead other pigs to their forthcoming fate.

I’ve hunted a lot with air rifles and still have a rather expensive selection of rifles. Always shot for the pot or vermin control on farms (rats).
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • I tried laser clay shooting at a "team-build" once, and won. Then I tried clay shooting once for someone's birthday, I was pretty good up until the competition, when I got really bad. One of us owned a shotgun, and he was utter pants to start off with which was a giggle. He got better towards the end though.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • There is a clay pigeon shooting place near me. Judging by the sounds they’ve kept going through lockdown ( although a quick look at the website says shut, hmmm). 
    I imagine I’d be totally pants at it/ shoot myself in the foot. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I'm against killing anything for fun. That is moronic and barbaric. I think taking the life of something else, for your own pleasure is actually a mental illness. It's not justifiable at all. One of the problems we have around the world, and the root of many many ills, is that we do not respect life enough, in it's many forms.

Killing to eat - if done humanely is a different thing though. Going out into an animal's natural environment, not damaging the environment, and making a swift clean kill, then eating the thing is probably as natural as you can get. Certainly far better than, say, buying cheap battery farmed force grown chicken that's been reared in a totally unnatural situation, pumped full of hormones and water, with the animal treated like shite.

However, these wankers who ponce round the countryside, hunting with hounds or shooting game for the "sport", need tarring and feathering IMO.
    Similarly the wankers who shoot and maim animals need the same treatment. We get the most magnificent stags around here - quite why someone thinks it's acceptable to kill one of these majestic animals is beyond me, whether you eat it or not. Leave it alone ffs.

It's not much different to the scum that go and shoot big game. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, I agree @Snap , but I really just revisited this thread for some advice on shooting some clays or some targets!  

I do like the idea of taking some 'proper' lessons, I think that could be fun and if I'm no good at it (likely) buy a cheap air pistol and shoot cans and targets in the back garden.

Either option sounds like a pretty good stress buster.
  • I can recommend Bisley for sporting clays. Extremely good setup, good coaching, but very expensive. The National Clay Shooting Centre, also at Bisley, is good for other clay disciplines (down the line, skeet, olympic trap). The A1 shooting centre, on the A1 just inside the M25, is also good. Any of those will be able to provide a taster session. Also, as someone else said, just track down your local Sunday morning clay shoot (there will be one somewhere close) and turn up and have a chat. They will tell you how best to get started.

U.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Shrews said:
    Yeah, I agree @Snap , but I really just revisited this thread for some advice on shooting some clays or some targets!  

I do like the idea of taking some 'proper' lessons, I think that could be fun and if I'm no good at it (likely) buy a cheap air pistol and shoot cans and targets in the back garden.

Either option sounds like a pretty good stress buster.
    I like clay shooting, a lot, but shooting living things, I just think wtf is wrong with these people? You want entertainment - go watch Netflix, kick a ball, punch a bag, go for a walk. Don't go take a weapon and kill something. Just because you can kill something, doesn't mean you have the right to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    There has been a number of posts with very negative comments about shooting game.  These comments, while being understandable, reveal a complete ignorance on the realities of farming and living (as opposed to sleeping) in the countryside.  A farmer has a certain amount of land at his disposal.  On that land he has to earn enough to pay the bills, feed his family and put something by for a rainy day/the future.  Every possible income source has to be looked at and evaluated.  Things like Eco Farms, yoghurt making, preserves, cheese making, cider production, Christmas trees etc.  These extras are small compared to the main business of the farm: cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry, turkeys & geese for the Christmas market, Deer, grain, vegetable production and so on.  Margins are tight so one or two main activities plus a couple of fringe activities are usually enough to keep the farm business afloat.

Game shooting is another fringe activity.  Most farms are not large enough to cater for the needs of a game shoot, so a number of adjoining farms get together and, usually, lease the shooting rights of those lands to a Game shooting syndicate.  This comes at a price to the farmer as no shooting syndicate would be interested in leasing vast open areas of land.  The syndicate want hedges, copses, small (around an acre or so) areas of root or game crops to hold the birds and an area for pens for the rearing and releasing of the game birds.  The syndicate members pay an annual (usually fairly substantial) fee to join the syndicate and often a number of days are sold to help finance the running of the syndicate.

The syndicate hires a gamekeeper to rear the chicks to releasing age and to feed the birds every day.  Also to control vermin who try to avail of the handy pickings in the pens.  Casual labour is employed for drives and pickup after shoots, an unused barn can be availed of to be used as a meeting place for the shooters and somewhere to partake of lunch (which is often served by the farmers family).  So a lot of people are involved in the shoot in one capacity or another.  This brings in cash to the farmers, always in the depths of Winter when cashflow is a serious problem.  The casual labour (beaters etc) benefit likewise.  As do gunsmiths and clothing suppliers to a lesser degree.

The shoots are extremely well organised, not from the viewpoint of maximum kill but safety and sporting shots.  A lot more birds are missed than shot at shoots.  The shooters themselves are not blood thirsty demons who run across the country shooting everything that moves.  Far from it, all are extremely concerned at the welfare of the birds and the devastation of the countryside caused by endless motorways and airports and the ever increasing number of factory farms.  Farms where hedgerows and woods are removed to make ever larger fields at the expense of the local wildlife.  Farms where results mean everything and to hell with the consequences.

What would happen if shooting game is abolished tomorrow?  In the short term almost nothing.  But in the longer term, our countryside will become less interesting due to the increase in factory farms.  Farmers, who lease their lands to shoots at the present time, will have to find an alternative source of additional income, the casual labour will have to manage without the small cash boost got from shoots, the gun trade will diminish even further.  Ultimately we all will lose out.

Our countryside, including hedgerows, bird life and wild animals, is not ours to do with it as we please.  We hold it in trust for future generations.  We have an obligation to pass as much of it as possible on to our children and their children.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    In the end I opted for this baby from Pellax. It came in a set but wasn't advertised as that, so bought some safety glasses and ball bearings when they actually came included with the gun. Bought two extra magazines, some gun oil, and CO2 cartridge thingies from them, plus a target holder and targets from elsewhere. All in all £165 delivered to my home. 

I could've gone extra but felt the cash was better suited to some shooting lessons with a real gun in the new year. After all, I'm not sure if I'll even like it, but always great to try new things.

I'm looking forward to see how accurate I can get with my dodgy eyesight and shaky hands. I have warned the neighbour about his greenhouse and cat. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    I think you will be very surprised how difficult Pistol target shooting is ...........seriously ,most people would find it very difficult to hit a man at 20 yards !
    I'm not sure how much of a serious target shooting pistol that is .........most basic ones, even ,are quite scientific looking things with orthopaedic overmounted grips and all kinds of counterweights etc .
    I'm sure you'll still have a lot of fun with it anyway.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7022
    tFB Trader
    Apart from the cruelty aspects, grouse shooting is an ecological crime scene

"Peatlands burn as gamekeepers create landscape fit for grouse-shooting | Conservation | The Guardian" https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/05/peat-bogs-burning-grouse-shooting
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Apart from the cruelty aspects, grouse shooting is an ecological crime scene

"Peatlands burn as gamekeepers create landscape fit for grouse-shooting | Conservation | The Guardian" https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/05/peat-bogs-burning-grouse-shooting
    I am no expert on grouse shooting or moor management but I know that grouse only eat young (new) heather growth.  So a well managed moor has strips burned each year to encourage this fresh growth.  Thus ensuring that the grouse chicks get the nourishment they need.  The lack of such maintenance during both World Wars resulted in the reduction by around 75% (if my memory serves me right but it is around that figure) of the number of grouse on the moors.  With wholesale forestation of moors since World War 2, there is virtually no way that the grouse numbers will ever return anywhere near their pre World War 2 numbers.  I understand, but am not 100% certain, that grouse cannot be reared successfully in incubators and pens unlike pheasants and partridge, so they can only survive on the moors.

Grouse shooting is an important element in the lives of people who live on or close to the moors.  For some, it is the only income source they have.  It is also an easy and cheap shot (pardon the pun) by tabloid newspapers headline writers, writers who have no idea what they are writing about, and writers afraid that what they might find out by visiting a moor and talking to the local people might mean their headline ends up in the bin.  It is very populist to write about rich people going shooting on the moors, especially to readers who have never seen a moor in their lives.  Let alone walked across one.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Apart from the cruelty aspects, grouse shooting is an ecological crime scene

One of the problems of having so much of the UK’s land in private ownership. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Shrews said:
    In the end I opted for this baby from Pellax. It came in a set but wasn't advertised as that, so bought some safety glasses and ball bearings when they actually came included with the gun. Bought two extra magazines, some gun oil, and CO2 cartridge thingies from them, plus a target holder and targets from elsewhere. All in all £165 delivered to my home. 

I could've gone extra but felt the cash was better suited to some shooting lessons with a real gun in the new year. After all, I'm not sure if I'll even like it, but always great to try new things.

I'm looking forward to see how accurate I can get with my dodgy eyesight and shaky hands. I have warned the neighbour about his greenhouse and cat. 

Congratulations on your purchase and lots of good shooting with it.  I read once that the technique is to bring the gun up to the target (starting aiming well below the target) and to fire when the aim is on the spot.  Attempting to hold the gun steady does not work.  As I understand it.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Shrews said:

Just a little serious advice, make sure you have a very good well set up back stop NOT metal or hard woods. You have a steel target holder/pellet catcher and you will be firing steel BB’s at it, they will ricochet and there will often be “flyers” (bb’s that shoot off in a direction you are not aiming at). The barrel of a BB gun is not rifled therefore not overly accurate over a certain distance. I can not stress this enough about making sure you have a good back stop and more than likely sides as it is going to be steel on steel. I only tell you this as it is law, if a stray BB crosses your homes boundary into a public area or someone else’s garden/property it is classed as armed trespass and becomes a firearms offence, yes even just a BB. I hope this advice helps.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.