Unsound: extended trailer rough cut: collapse of the music business

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited October 2013
    Zodiac51 said:
    Just going back to the original post...

The myth that "people are getting their music for free" has been perpetuated for a while now, same for "pirating has killed the creative industry" - both of those statements are utter bollocks.

The public has never paid as much for their music (and misc creative content) as they are doing now, they just think they are getting it for free.

Lets just look of the cost for your "free" music (YMMV):
    • Iphone - £550
    • Ipad - £600
    • Monthly Data plan - £50
    • home broadband - £20
    Lets say you have one of the i*** on contract with your monthly data plan, so you get it for "just" £300 that works out at £1740 per year for your "free" music. In the olden days when cds were £12 a pop that works out at 145 cds worth of "free" music - Who bought 145 cds a year in their youth? I certainly didn't!

All that has changed is who they are paying for their "free" music, Apple and the data providers have "done a Tescos" on the creative industries and cut down to nothing what they are willing to pay for the creative content, and like the farmers before them the creative industry weren't ready for it and are now reeling from the fall out. The real beauty of it though is, that they are fucking over both the artist and the consumer AND making them feel responsible for it.

It's like saying you can fly to Tenerife for £1.99 with Ryanair.

Oh well, as the instructions say "Light blue touch paper and stand well clear".....
    But don't a lot of people download free tracks and upload them to their phone/pad. I think the point you're making hints at another issue. Disposable income versus time. When I got my first job in the 70s there were no VCRs, PC's, games consoles, smart phones, pads, satellite TV packages or expensive bikes. I actually had a reasonable amount of disposable income and having bought a cheap car and a hi-fi I had plenty of cash left for beer, records and concerts. In fact music was a major part of most people's lives back then as there wasn't much else to do - I could sit on a wet Sunday after rugby and listen to a couple of albums.

Fast forward to the present and to many people music just isn't important - it's just a soundtrack to their lives in the restaurant, pub, gym at home while they browse Facebook. And there's so much more to spend your cash on - my younger son has an iPhone with a data plan, full Sky TV package, games console, 3.5 litre Jap sports car, mortgage, gym membership ... not only does he have loads of expenses but he's too busy to actively listen to music so he doesn't buy it.

And if I'm honest I usually listen to music via an iPod whilst working. I haven't tuned my expensive Hi-Fi system on in months - I'm just too busy. And I think iTunes and similar download sites have reduced music in the eyes of many consumers to a low cost commodity. You can buy a track for £0.73p - you just get a digital file. There's no connection to the artist - it's just a cold transaction. Apparently people regularly just delete tracks they're bored with so now music is now a disposable commodity. At least with a record there was the album cover, maybe the lyrics sheet and a collection of songs - that's all been lost.

The only people I know making money from recording have spent time building a fan base via social media networks who help fund their recordings and buy them. Gigging is all well and good but unless you have a following promoters won't book you. About ten years ago I worked for a singer songwriter who'd been on the EMI label, had sold loads of albums in the 70s and 80s and had continued albeit with a low profile. It was tough getting her gigs so God knows how hard it must be for a young band starting out.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom