School me on Les Paul Deluxes

What's Hot
TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
I haven't played one - only heard them on recordings.

I've heard that the min-HBs on the Deluxe cut through a mix better but for me the classic LP sound is that beefy low end. If there *that* much of a difference?

Was toying with the idea of a 70's LP a little while ago but was torn between the Deluxe and the Standard. Now I'm skint it doesn't really matter ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24883
    edited January 2015
    I like Deluxes - to me, nothing screams '70s' (in a good way) better than one of these.

What I like about them, is that they don't bask unfavourably in the shadow of '58-'60 Standards, as '70s Standards did. They were kind of a guitar in their own right, if that makes sense?

Early ones had mahogany necks - most were three-piece (with volute) and 'pancake' bodies (two layers of mahogany with a thin maple veneer in between). Soon all Gibsons of the period got maple necks.

The last ones (I'm not 100% sure on dates - but around 1980) returned to one piece mahogany backs.

Tops are invariably three piece and rarely particularly well matched - if that bothers you, stick with Gold Tops.

There have been subsequent reissues - though these were essentially modern-day Standards with mini hums, or weight relieved bodies with 1 piece mahogany necks, so not 'period correct'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73257
    They're quite a lot brighter and more 'ringing', but they still have a fair amount of bottom end - which I think comes from the weight and thickness of the guitar body, rather than the pickups. The bigger difference is that the full-size humbuckers are fuller and smoother in the mids, to me - the minis are slightly hollow and a touch metallic, like halfway between a humbucker and a Tele bridge pickup, or like a vintage Rickenbacker.

I really like them - my first Les Paul was a '70 Deluxe and the sound of it has always stuck with me somehow, even though at the time I thought I didn't like it because it wasn't a Standard! I prefer Customs to Standards too, they have more 'ring' to them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32046
    edited January 2015
    Deluxes are great, don't worry about the pickups sounding too thin, the Les Paul construction overwhelms all!

I have a Les Paul Standard with Mojo gold foil pickups which are among the brightest and jangliest you can buy but guess what, it still sounds like a Les Paul, just with extra bite.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited January 2015
    I feel huge nostalgia for them  which is not the same as rating them highly.
    When the first heavily discounted Sunburst models arrived in the UK (price control had somehow been maintained up to this point) I tried every one I could find. Orange Music were selling them for £218 without a case. The other shops in London were maybe £10 more. Every one was terrible, made worse by the poor set-up both at the factory and non-existent at the dealer. And they were heavy. This sudden availabilty in the UK coincided with a dramatic surge in production numbers (obviously) so maybe that was the problem.

Of course I have played a few since then. I think that several refrets over 40 years,  and lots of playwear has improved some of these guitars and I would never rule out buying one. :D   I think they sound great in the hands of a young Scott Gorham.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 700
    I used to have a 74 deluxe gold top and to this day I regret selling it.
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    I read today that they stopped making them in 1985 due to lack of demand. Is that the hair metal bands of the 80's to blame?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73257
    TinLip said:
    I read today that they stopped making them in 1985 due to lack of demand. Is that the hair metal bands of the 80's to blame?
    Just that back then, it was high-output full-size humbuckers that were in fashion, so Deluxes were perceived as inferior.

Now, everything from original Epiphones to Gretsches has come back into fashion and that brighter, less full-on humbucker sound is desirable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yeah, that definitely is true. I've noticed Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) and Adam Granduciel (The War on Drugs) both using them recently and their sound isn't the balls-to-the-wall LP through a Marshall stack. 

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4081
    I like the mini hum buckers, had them on a Sheraton. Never tried them on a LP though.
  • Great guitars! I've got a re-issue gold top which has the normal LP chunk but with a Tele bite.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 771
    The Les Paul I have is a '70 LP Goldtop Deluxe. It's been routed, refretted and a head repair as well. A bit of an old gal. It's also a multi piece body, neck and maple top, basically all the features no one is supposed to like!

Hand on heart this is the best (for me) Les Paul I have played or owned and have played many an LP from vintage to modern over the years. For me anyway, it was a lesson in disregarding the supposed 'golden spec' of any guitar (say the '59 era Les Paul being most desired) and getting one that works as a player.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The 71 routed Deluxe I had is the guitar I miss the most.
    I liked it more then better then my 69 Custom.
    Thank you gents, this has been most helpful. I will take it the consensus is more positive than negative about these puppies.

• The 71 routed Deluxe I had is the guitar I miss the most.
    I liked it more then better then my 69 Custom.
    I nearly swallowed my tounge typing that.