I'm not really all that versatile!
    I beg to differ, princess.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Sure thing Jimbo!

*Black Dahlia reference if you've ever played it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Well said @Bucket agreed, wisdom for you dude.

Re death and existenz it is a shock in middle age (nudging 50 as I am) when school, UNI or work chums pop off suddenly. As a few has said it reminds you of your mortality and coupled with the loss of a friend/family member brings a lot of complex emotions to the fore.

For me I lost my mum at 14 and was very close to her, then my old man died 8 years later so other deaths bring this back to me.

On both occasions I never got to say goodbye or have a final proper conversation, both times I was at work.

So when someone known well or close I regret their passing, not having that last beering, jam or whatever with them and the finality that they are gone for good.

Conversely you have to say thank fuck it wasn't my turn today and get back on living/enjoying life as best you can.

IMHO very few people's last words are I wish I spent more time at work or accumulated more money (as opposed to leaving my kids summat).

You are a long time dead and there are no pockets in a shroud (might get some in an urn though).

No fucker gets out of life alive so enjoy the shit out of it. :D

As the great Hunter S. Thompson said.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited October 2013
    johnnyurq said:
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson
    That, that is a fucking great quote.

Wish I had the balls to act on it... I am just over-cautious by nature, in almost everything I do, and I often feel like I should "live" a little more than I do. Annoys me, actually.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    The main thing is to find something you enjoy doing. Japanese girls and guitar are my thing. Yours might be boys from Cancun and the ukelele, hey... I'm not judging. Just dooooo ittttt!
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited October 2013
    Redacted.
  • Bucket said:
    johnnyurq said:
    ― Hunter S. Thompson
    That, that is a fucking great quote.

Wish I had the balls to act on it... I am just over-cautious by nature, in almost everything I do, and I often feel like I should "live" a little more than I do. Annoys me, actually.
    Thing is Connor, you already do, without realising it. Moreso than most.

Creating music and putting it out there for peer review, good or bad, is pretty courageous in my book. Plenty of armchair critics in the world, I don't see their youtube channels or hear their tunes. It's easy to comment on something, not so easy to create something.

Don't sweat it.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Definitely.

And Connor is a sick guitarist. So there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited October 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    Dear Richard Littlejohn,

Fuck off. You have no idea about where I've been and what I've come through, nor about the kind of person I am today...
    Nor do you have any idea where most of us on this forum have been, what we've come through nor the kind of persons we are, but that doesn't stop you from judging us.
    Maybe you're too thick or ignorant to even recognise it.
    You definitely have no monopoly on good manners nor good taste, so don't listen to a song and stfu.

And no warm milk nor bedtime stories for you tonight. ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Signing off gentlemen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2057

Hungover now sitting at my desk. 

Thanks for the wise words at the top of the thread - especially Zap, Jal and James - wisdoms distributed liberally.  Clearly Zap, I didn't take your advice: I went out and got medium-roasted.  The event was actually better than I had anticipated and the compare - Colin Murray from Match of the Day 2 and various radio shows - was unexpectedly brilliant. 

Drew - I honestly wasn't thinking about you when I posted the thread, it was just a moment of gloomy musing. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    dindude said:
    So Richard took the "non-cowards" way that is so craved and said what he thought, in a fairly polite way, and was met with a torrent of abuse.
    It wouldn't be very non-cowardly if he wasn't going to be met with a torrent of abuse. "I'll be a brave knight as long as everyone makes sure the nasty dragon doesn't hurt me" doesn't often make the story books.
    McToot said:

Hungover now sitting at my desk. 

Thanks for the wise words at the top of the thread - especially Zap, Jal and James - wisdoms distributed liberally.  Clearly Zap, I didn't take your advice: I went out and got medium-roasted.  The event was actually better than I had anticipated and the compare - Colin Murray from Match of the Day 2 and various radio shows - was unexpectedly brilliant. 

Drew - I honestly wasn't thinking about you when I posted the thread, it was just a moment of gloomy musing. 

I think I did a bad job of expressing myself, and then it all got sidetracked.

Basically I am in agreement with you, death DOES put certain things into perspective (RE: your glitzy evening doo) and I also agree with Jim that life is for the living.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm devastated when I lose my pets, but I didn't understand why people were crying at my grandad's funeral. (He was a horrible man btw, so there is that).

I can't really think of a family member that I would cry over dying, let alone neighbours and such..
    My V key is broken
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    While I will consider it to be a sad event when mad old Brian from my road finally dies I certainly won't miss his strange hooting noises while I'm trying to park. I doubt I'll cry.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Knowing I'm going to die one day soon is the best tonic to procrastination and a fair amount of self-indulgence - there simply isn't time.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    While I will consider it to be a sad event when mad old Brian from my road finally dies I certainly won't miss his strange hooting noises while I'm trying to park. I doubt I'll cry.
    There was a fat lady and her husband with a missing leg over the road, last summer the fat lady died, and I was glad because she always sat outside watching everything. I don't like being watched. Her legless husband copped it earlier this year too, but he wasn't a bother.
    My V key is broken
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited October 2013
    Thing is Connor, you already do, without realising it. Moreso than most.

Creating music and putting it out there for peer review, good or bad, is pretty courageous in my book. Plenty of armchair critics in the world, I don't see their youtube channels or hear their tunes. It's easy to comment on something, not so easy to create something.

Don't sweat it.
    Thanks! And thanks Drew as well, much appreciated :)

I was thinking more from a social perspective, because I spent ages learning to play guitar and write music etc, to the total detriment of almost every other area of my life :D Ah well, I shouldn't complain - after all, this is the sort of relatively trivial complaint that gets put sharply into perspective by something like the stuff McToot was mentioning in the OP. 
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • vizviz Frets: 11023
    frankus said:
    Knowing I'm going to die one day soon is the best tonic to procrastination and a fair amount of self-indulgence - there simply isn't time.
    Oi that's my two main hobbies you're talking about!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Have a LOL !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback