travel guitar

kinkin Frets: 1016
edited January 2015 in Guitar
1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 461
    Tried a couple and not gone one with them. Cheap construction and neck dive are the usual problems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1016
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/turquoisemoleeater/More Guitars/GrassRootsGR-PGG3TS-3_zps147ffa41.jpg
    the strap buttons seem well placed on these, that might help with the neck dive issue ( having said that they also have a full size headstock ) 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    I used to have a little pignose guitar with a built in amp. It was fun and quite playable but I prefer a proper guitar, they're not a lot bigger or harder to carry around.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28434
    I've got one of these ...

Bob Wiley's Ministar dispenses with the traditional guitar body, which adds little or noth...

It's about as small as you can possibly make a guitar - the metal arm/leg rest pieces (which arent shown properly in the pic above) come off, so you're left with just the headstock and a piece of wood 24.5" (or whatever) long and fingerboard width!

Plays surprisingly nicely and perfect if you must take a guitar on your travels and need to travel very lightly.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    Yes,that is small.Almost pocket sized.
    Will it fit inside a snooker cue case?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28434
    Sassafras said:
    Will it fit inside a snooker cue case?
    How big is the snooker cue case ??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    edited January 2015

mny worry is that the trem is so exposed.  Its either going to get knocked or tangled up in something.  travel guitars to me should be pretty stable so as you can pick them up and put them down with the minimum of fuss. 

having just got a thomann shorty start and mini RG I would go for something short scale for travel

• kinkin Frets: 1016
    yep,i don't really see the need for the trem on a travel guitar. What's the mini rg like @WezV ?  I was thinking of getting one for my eleven year old daughter/ travel guitar for me.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Steinberger and clones are ace.  Sling over shoulder or squeeze into Samsonite !

Simples !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    kin said:
    yep,i don't really see the need for the trem on a travel guitar. What's the mini rg like @WezV ?  I was thinking of getting one for my eleven year old daughter/ travel guitar for me.

have a look here

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/33073/2015-challenge-wezv-harley-benton-mini-guitars#latest

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    Jalapeno;500593" said:
    Steinberger and clones are ace.  Sling over shoulder or squeeze into Samsonite !

Simples !
    This, in spades. You can lock the Trems out as well
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    edited January 2015
    I've gone down the Steinberger route, but rather than the cricket bat Steinbergers, I've got the GU. The advantage of this is that it has a bolt on neck. I've put some threaded inserts into the neck so that I can put it on and take it off as many times as I like without loosening the joint. With the neck off, it will fit into a carry on bag.
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    I like those strat pickguard guitars. I make my own guitars and I also travel a lot for work, so I might have to give that a try :-)
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • I thought an acoustic was a travel guitar?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.