Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How do you like to have your action?

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
edited February 2015 in Making & Modding
I've been setting all my guitars and basses up recently and I'm still discovering what heights everything should be for a reliably good setup.

Currently I have 2mm on the bass side from 12th fret to string, and 1.5mm from 12th to string on the treble side. What's your rule of thumb for action? How do you measure it? (I've just used a 2mm allen key and a 1.5mm pick to measure at the moment, seems to work perfectly)
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    As low as possible without buzzing. I want the strings to feel like they're painted on basically, for maximum shred :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    I like it about 1.5mm on the bass side and 1.25mm on the treble at the 12th fret with a straight-ish neck

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I generally take it as low as I can without buzzing or choking on bends, then take it back up a teeeeeeeny bit.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited February 2015
    Medium to high compared to most I guess. I don't mind a low action, but I want everything to ring as much as possible too. 

I can't shred anyway, so it's not actin that's stopping me from doing that!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    higher than most people
    I use 3mm stubby picks, and pluck each string hard, so a guitar set up for a shredder using a large light pick will buzz if I play it
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I too like it on the high side of medium, low actions feel horrible to me, I can't explain it other than it just doesn't feel right.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9130
    High enough to get solid fingertip contact for bending, so it depends on fret height.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I sometimes hit the strings hard so I like a higher action. I've never measured it but it's higher than 3mm.
    I find hammer ons and bends easier with a highish set up.
  • Medium, I guess. An ultra-low action just feels a bit odd to me, though I won't pretend that I don't play better with a lower action.

• WezVWezV Frets: 17501

I usually go from 0.060" on the bass to 0.050" on the treble.   I brought the stew-mac action guide before they made a metric version ;)

for those that can't convert that is similar to the feline measurements above :)  

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Given the responses I think I'll try and setup a bit lower still then. I seriously never realised how high the action on my Dean soltero was before!
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • All my guitars feel good with different action heights. I don't bother measuring...I just adjust until they feel "right".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    All my guitars feel good with different action heights. I don't bother measuring...I just adjust until they feel "right".

best way to do it

until you are setting up guitars for other people - then measurements become handy

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    I used to torture myself with action heights but for the last few years I just adjust until it feels right.

I like a low action, but hate any kind of buzz so I've had to compromise. I'd reckon my strat with a 9.5" radius neck is set up at about 2.25mm bass side and a tad under 2mm at the treble.

Depends what sort of stuff I'm playing too. Bluesy stuff, I don't mind it higher. If I'm in a RAWK mood, lower feels better - I suppose that the higher gain hides any buzz.
  • I go similar to @WezV and @FelineGuitars depending on the feel of the guitar.
  • WezV said:
    All my guitars feel good with different action heights. I don't bother measuring...I just adjust until they feel "right".

best way to do it

until you are setting up guitars for other people - then measurements become handy

I very much doubt anybody but the desperate would trust me with their guitars, and the desperate either get it the way I'd want it or they can bloody well sort it out themselves ;)
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I try to get 2mm bass and 1.75mm treble @ 17th fret on everything. A couple are slightly lower, a couple slightly higher...
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    On her knees baby. On. Her. Knees.

(Sorry...).
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I adjust the strings up until they don't buzz anywhere and feel right. I can play with relatively high action so no real worries about measurements or anything like that. One strange thing I check is where the B string will hit my fingers when I bend up the E. I have adjusted because of that before. 

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    On all my guitars .062" low E .047 high E measured from 12th fret. Sometimes a tiny bit higher on the low E to get rid of buzz. Is that considered low action?