The Hi-Fi discussion thread

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
A number of members of this forum have hi-fi systems.  The world of hi-fi has shifted quite a bit in the past few years.  Traditionally music sources were LP, CD, Tape (of all types) & Radio (FM).  Now the sources include all those plus Internet Radio, Sky or satellite boxes, Music stored on hard disk drives, Portable devices, USB sticks etc.

Getting the best sound from your system, even getting it to work, can be a daunting experience.  So I propose that this thread becomes a focal point, a knowledge base, for all things hi-fi.  In the true Darwin tradition, if it works it will live/expand and if not then it won't survive the weekend.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited October 2013
    Yes, it will be good to identify the cork sniffers. ;)

I have a Denon AV receiver and some Denon speakers that is controlled via an iPhone/iPad app or a Logitech Harmony remote.
    Pretty much everything streams to the living room via Apple TV.
    I also have a TIVO box, Xbox & DVD player attached.

Most critical listening is in the studio, where I have Apogee Symphony and Dynaudio BM6a Mk 1 monitoring.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28145
    I need to finish my second class-T amplifier kit.

It has mains inside it, which frankly terrifies me. Thus it has been sitting 2/3rds complete for about 5 years now. :D
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Dangerous topic.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 356
    edited October 2013
    In the lounge currently using an Onkyo AV receiver into a pair of Mission Floorstanders Bi-amped by the AV Amp. Music all comes from 320kbps MP3s on a PC connected via HDMI. Sounds good to me though I watch more movies than listen to music on it these days.

Bedroom is an old Sony AV amp, into a pair of Kef Coda 7's, with music coming via a WD live TV box with a hard drive full of MP3s, optical connection into the amp.

Most music listening is either in the car (MP3s on phone), or on the train - MP3s on phone via cheap JVC marshmallow earbuds. Both perfectly fine for their use.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Workshop - iPod (all mp3 128kbps) via computer into 1950s Goodmans speaker cabinet.

Office/dining room - computer (almost always mp3, occasionally CD) into early-1980s Pioneer hi-fi amp and Wharfedale speakers.

Living room - late-1980s Bang & Olufsen system with CD, vinyl and FM radio.

I very rarely turn the B&O on, and then it's always to play a CD. Haven't played vinyl in probably 15 years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A small Sony receiver/CD/Cassette player with audio in jack and two smallish satellite speakers handle most of my sound at home.  I have cables in place to plug in the TV or the computer when I want.  Volume is not an issue(more people ask me to turn it down than up....).

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Mac mini running all my ripped CD's and downloads via itunes (connected to TV as monitor and use it for catch up / watching films etc). Goes into an Arcam DAC, then into Arcam amp, and some Monitor Audio speakers. Then control it via ipad and iPhone. Fairly modest in hi fi terms but it sounds great and the instant access "jukebox" style means I play loads more music than when I was slotting CD's in and out.
    edited October 2013
    Rega / SRM modded turntable through Talk Electronics pre- and power-stages into Castle Howard speakers via Tellurium Q cable. Designed in Margate, built in Great Britain.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Linn LP12, Naim Armageddon PSU, Naim Aro tonearm, Dynavector  XX1L cartridge, into EAR 834P phono stage, into Trilogy VTi integrated amplifier, into B&W DM4 speakers. Other sources: tuner, cassette, CD, audio out from SCART switch box, audio out from sound card on computer.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8702
    There are various amp and speaker systems, of differing ages and qualities, lying around the house.  The highest quality amp is an Arcam.  I don't go for top end audio quality equipment because I rarely sit still to listen.  

All of my CDs are ripped to FLAC files, and managed through Logitech mediacentre.  The nice thing about the Logitech software is that it synchronises play back across the different devices, and is controllable from anywhere in the house through handset/iPad/iPhone/PC.  It also streams digital radio.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    edited October 2013
    My main system is about as simple and stripped down as it is possible to get. Squeezebox duet digital out into a Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD Player (has a built in analogue volume control), balanced outputs to two Classe CA M350 monobloks. Speakers are B&W 803D. All cables are by Dalkey Audio, mains filter for SB is from DeZorel. Mains distribution blocks are built by myself and I have a dedicated mains supply for the system. I seldom play a CD these days as all my music has been ripped to hard drive and stored as FLAC files. System control is by the supplied remote controls or more usually iPad running iPeng for SB. I have been meticulous about setup, result is that I can listen at any volume I like without losing any detail. I am fortunate in having a room dedicated to hi-fi and music.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    I'm still running my Richer Sounds budget stuff from 20 years ago (cambridge, mission etc.) with qed cables. Thinking about a tt but a bit skint (fancy a rega of some sort).
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Hunt down SRM-tech in biggleswade - he'll get a rega turntable cheap and then mod it so you won't pay much more and it will be twice as good as the stock version.

• Living room system is a Pink Triangle LPT GTi turntable with a Roksan Tabrizzi tonearm and an Audio Technica OC-7 cartridge, Exposure CD player (the first, unnamed model), Exposure XV amplifier, Nakamichi LX-5 tape deck and a pair of Mission 752 Freedom loudspeakers. I really need to get a new cartridge soon! If the Mrs has gone to bed and I fancy a listening session, I'll go into the home studio. There's a Sony CDP EX510 CD player, Audiolab 8000A amp and a pair of PMC TB-2 monitors that sound gorgeous. I have my own room at work and I'll take my iPod in and play it through an old NAD 3030 amp and Mission 760i speakers. In the workshop I'll use the iPod with an old JVC amp and some small jamo speakers.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Everything you could possibly want or need:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lol
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 356
    edited October 2013
    Everything you could possibly want or need:

Pah, that stuff is fine if you HATE music and despise fidelity.

This is where you go if you love hi-fi.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Most of the time I'm listening to music as background music It's coming from Youtube, just type in Around the Fur whole album or similar
    To really listen though we go into the control room, it's got about 28 bass traps and sounds pretty even all over. There's 3 sets of speakers hooked up including the obligatory NS10's  .... which is what about 80% of the music I  Iike was mixed on anyway. Amp is Yam P series, source is wavs from CD's. Drives are so big now I don't bother with MP3's unless I gotta email a taster. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    edited October 2013
    Most of my listening at home is playing Spotify through my Ipad with B&W P5 headphones. I would really like to be able to stream Spotify through my hifi, (Marantz cd5400 cd player/Marantz Pm7200 amplifier/ B&W 602s3 speakers) but am not really sure how to go about it, what extra equipment I would need to buy etc. Anyone here stream Spotify through their hifi with good results? I bookmarked this hifi myth exposure a month ago, what do you make of it Rocker? http://ethanwiner.com/audiophoolery.html
  • Danny1969 said:
    Most of the time I'm listening to music as background music It's coming from Youtube, just type in Around the Fur whole album or similar
    Excellent choice :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ