"Incomes back to pre-crisis level"

What's Hot
... screams a BBC news item.

Inflation has galloped since the crisis first hit, even if current values are "low" (which I don't believe anyway). It implies that if you were on £x in 2008 and you're on £x now, your standard of living is about the same.

Is it hell :x
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18303
    tFB Trader
    It's an average. 

I'm much better off than I was in 2008, but I'm sure a lot people are worse off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I'm better off as well .. everything is relative and traditionally as you get older you go backwards [redundancy, lack of promotions etc].

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    I am also better off, but I changed careers and emigrated. 

The figures being squawked about here are before housing costs are deducted and aren't adjusted for inflation, so they actually mean Joe Average is still significantly worse off than they were. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'm doing what I did in 2008...but getting a pretty penny more than I did back then.

Despite having 2 kids to clothe and feed we're doing OK, but I'd better start saving incase they want to go to Uni
  • I work in the public sector and I haven't had a pay rise since 2008. I'm definitely worse off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    I work in the public sector and I haven't had a pay rise since 2008. I'm definitely worse off.
    Same, apart from the 1% we just got, yippeeeee
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    We're all better off the the Greeks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    The truth is that it is going to continue getting worse, for the simple reason that the years of it getting better were an illusion supported by unsustainable borrowing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    /|\ That /|\ (well put John).

We as a nation, borrowed heavily against the future, to have what are now our yesterdays. I now feel better off and having cleared all debt I feel more confident in the future.

• We're all better off the the Greeks.
    Yeah but they get giant wooden horses*. Where's MY giant wooden horse?

*I may not be up-to-date with current Greek politics

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowen said:
    I work in the public sector and I haven't had a pay rise since 2008. I'm definitely worse off.
    Ha, I forgot about that. I think that equates to one bottle of cheap wine a month for me!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    is that cos our girlies don't have moustaches?
    play every note as if it were your first
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Yeah but they get giant wooden horses*. Where's MY giant wooden horse?

*I may not be up-to-date with current Greek politics

You're not, they were giving away the giant wooden horses! This may be part of the problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    It was the Turks who got the free wooden horse, and they still haven't forgiven the Greeks for it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10010
    I got laid off in 2008 and really struggled to get a job doing what I used to. The industry in general got rid of massive numbers of engineers and haven't reemployed them. Even in the US office of the company I last worked they're down to about a third of how many used to be there. All those skills have gone somewhere.

I retrained in something completely different but had to start back again at a graduate-level salary, which was just over half of my previous salary. It'll be while before I'm back up there! The promotion path is well-defined though, and it's not all about money anyway.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Better off financially and musically. Worse off socially and mentally.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10359
    joeyowen;544722" said:
    Panama_Jack666 said:

Save up the increase, in a few years you might be able to buy a Boss pedal from Andertons on their current promotion

I'd agree with Drew about the mental wellbeing being lower, there do seem to be a higher proportion of absolute fruit cakes lately, myself included

I for one am much better off than 2008, as that's the year i finished uni, almost exactly at the same time as the crash occurred...
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

I always thought it was labour over investing in the public sector that was the problem, after the tories decimated industry, before that I thought it was the Tories inventing money out of thin air hence why we are in the situation we are today.  But if you look back we as a country have been on a steady decline since the '30's.  Even in the late 30's we had a 60:40 import export ratio.

I'd rather be poor in solidarity with others than be sap sucked at every turn and priced out of everything whilst a few get richer.  We should deal with the problem now.  It will hurt the comfortable and sting the wealthy and people might lose a few perks, but it the fairer way of dealing with it, rather than carrying on smashing everyone's heads into the sand until the majority have committed suicide.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    joeyowen said:

me too

Better off? - I dont fucking think so

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Me too.