I am now officially a BMW Driver

What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    to be fair its not that bad. Its friends that generally give me shit for owning both 

One observation as an owner of both is that in the Audi people get out of your way sharpish as they assume you are planning on driving 110+ mph whilst in the BMW I seem to get people being deliberately awkward at times with pulling out, not letting me out of junctions etc. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    @sparkx240 - are you a rich Sultan with your house and multiple Beemers lol! Work in IT? 
    Very nice cars posted in this thread - wish I could afford something like that but I'm still saving for a house deposit (at age 30, it's grim).
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2111
    edited March 2015
    @sparkx240 - are you a rich Sultan with your house and multiple Beemers lol! Work in IT? 
    Very nice cars posted in this thread - wish I could afford something like that but I'm still saving for a house deposit (at age 30, it's grim).

v Ha ! I wish...but I will tell you what happened. I bought Barclays shares at .69p years ago, then sold at at high around £6. I also bought Big yellow shares at £1.30 and sold at £6+ I since upgraded to a Merc slk 350 Amg.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Wow - please pass on any tips lol!
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    Enjoy it. I have a 2007 550i and I love everything about it except for the iDrive and the fuel consumption ...
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    I've had a few M Sport Diesels as company cars, great things, really missing mine :(
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I reckon the people who hate BMW's are generally the people who've never even driven one. I certainly hated them till I had my first one.

I've now had 6 BM's and just wouldn't buy anything else. We've had mercs at the same time and just never found them that involving. Audi's? Yeh, I personally think they do nicer interiors then bmw but the equivalent engines just aren't as strong as the BM's and the Quattro really just being a front wheel drive car with haldex diggs never compared in handling hence I never went there.

My current car below. I'm just about to get rid of it and do an experiment to see if we can live with one car I've decided over the last week.

I've done 10000 miles in 2.5 years since having it from new and barely done 2.5k in the last year since we moved house as I work from home most of the time, 10 minute walk to the station when I need to go to London, town centre is 10 minutes walk and nearest supermarket 5 minutes walk!!!

Anyway, I shall enjoy the last few months of this beast it will be missed as it certainly has bought a smile to my face (and a few brushes with the law - fortunately all warnings)

So here's my little testament to my car and a big thumbs up for bmw.

M3 4.0 V8 coupe (probably the last great large capacity naturally aspirated engine bmw will ever build in full production)

DCT dual clutch

19 alloys

Fully adjustable Novello leather heated seats.

20 Gig hard drive for music (I don't even own 20 gigs worth on iTunes). Blue tooth streaming, usb and full sat nav with traffic, bmw connected drive etc etc

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g149/fastboy_2006/97256575-F07D-4306-951B-6C1B8D2B8401-12846-00000F37957FF1E7.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    edited March 2015
    fastboy said:
    I reckon the people who hate BMW's are generally the people who've never even driven one. I certainly hated them till I had my first one.
    I've never owned one, but I borrowed one of these for three weeks when I was looking after someone's house a long time ago… (with his permission I hasten to add!)

535i - his was an '87, same model although from memory it had a white front underskirt not black, which made it look even more aggressive.

It was absolutely brilliant fun to drive, although the very first day I nearly got badly into trouble at a roundabout because I was going *much* faster than I thought - at the last second I realised there was probably not enough distance left to stop before I hit the Rover coming from the right, so I took a huge deep breath, floored it and crossed in front of him. I bet he thought "… typical BMW driver :x" :)). (Whereas in fact I was a Citröen driver at the time really ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1459
    some sort of switch next to the steering wheel. I've tried it, and all it did was make a tick-tock noise and flash some green lights on the dashboard. I'm sure I'll work out what to do with it later
    Those are called 'Der ticken tocken'
    If you look on the other side there is a switch for 'der flippen flappen shiten schpreaden'
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6286
    Also a BMW owner. And it's an obnoxious one - an X6. I love it and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks at all. Best car I've ever had. At the moment I'm schlepping up and down from heathrow a lot (near 400 mile round trip) and the drive is just great, effortless. I bought it new 3 years ago as a proper mid life crisis, and made sure it had every bit of kit I wanted on it. Cracking audio system.

Incredible chassis on it as well - its a big beast and it drives like a roadster. Very clever, fantastic handling. Good economy too.

I've just decided to keep it for a few years more too. Nothing I'd want to change it for at the moment.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 2012
    My wife bought an X1 last year....I love it. I had no idea cars could be so much fun, it's really good to drive. If i'd have known how good it was going to be, I'd have bought a 330D.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2517
    I'm just happy that my "coming out" has allowed so many others to do so.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4898
    bluenose said:
    Did it come with indicators ?
    Why would it?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • I've had four - 318i, 320 convertible, 520 & 325Ti.

The 325 has(d) probably the best engine ever..

Now sadly missed as I'm in Zafira land 'cos the kids have grown too much :/

Give it five years & they're all have their own Ka's & I can have a proper car again.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    BMW-hate is something I really don't get.

Their strap-line 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' genuinely captures what is great about them.

Yes Audi interiors are nicer - but dynamically they don't hold a candle to a BMW.

I'm not in the income bracket to have one at present - but if I am again in the future, I wouldn't hesitate.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    edited March 2015
    richardhomer;548357" said:
    It's not necessarily the cars, more the people that drive them.

When you drive for a living you tend to see the good and bad in all drivers, Mini Cooper or Fiat 500 usually a nice looking woman driving, any sort of taxi usually a complete arsehole with no idea anyone else is on the road, Audi tends to be the marketing manager type who try to drive within an inch of your bumper to get you out of their way and a lot of BMW drivers lean towards "I'm in the ultimate driving machine therefore I'm the ultimate driver" admittedly not so many since Audi started to attract all the bell ends.

I'm currently looking for a 1 series myself but I'm concerned about the optional extras like indicators and the course in how to use them might stretch my budget
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    edited March 2015
    So basically, every fucker on the forum owns an Audi or BMW? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1817
    richardhomer;548357" said:
    It's not necessarily the cars, more the people that drive them.

When you drive for a living you tend to see the good and bad in all drivers, Mini Cooper or Fiat 500 usually a nice looking woman driving, any sort of taxi usually a complete arsehole with no idea anyone else is on the road, Audi tends to be the marketing manager type who try to drive within an inch of your bumper to get you out of their way and a lot of BMW drivers lean towards "I'm in the ultimate driving machine therefore I'm the ultimate driver" admittedly not so many since Audi started to attract all the bell ends.

I'm currently looking for a 1 series myself but I'm concerned about the optional extras like indicators and the course in how to use them might stretch my budget
    Come and join us over at babybmw.net if you have any questions :-)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1662
    I've owned an E39 530D for the last 9 years, It's so good I can't get rid of it for a new car as it just goes and goes. And I can get out of it after an 8 hour drive without even feeling it.

Nothing squeaks or rattles and when I give it to my local beemer guy and say do whatever it needs he finds so little and it sails through it's MOT. Most expensive bit of the last service was two tyres. 

My mate wanted a cheap estate, I told him to get an E39, he did and now he has the same problem and can't bring himself to get rid of it. Only cost him £800. And he's had some nice cars, NSX, 7 series, Z4 coupe to name a few.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    Nunogilberto;549298" said:
    So basically, every fucker on the forum owns an Audi or BMW? ;)
    No.

Ford Focus....