PSU for FX pedals

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5012
Over the last month or more, I noticed extra noise from my SE valve amp. Thought a valve was on the way out but no: the culprit is the SMPS powering my FX pedalboard or more usually a pedal or two on the floor. This subject has been covered before, so what is the best or better than Maplin PSUs available. Budget is circa one ton but some flexibility in this issue. Average size pedalboard, max of eight pedals, so need power cables too. Thanks
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I use a Diago Micropower 9 (1A max current) with a daisy chain, including the effects loop (I seem to be lucky when it comes to ground loops). Also, the Mooer 9V power supply is even pokier and can do 3A.
    <space for hire>
  • Visual sound one spot. No idea how, but it's amazingly quiet even when several pedals are in the chain, and cheap to boot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5012
    The Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus would fit the bill exactly but it is about 50% over my budget.  Anyone here selling one?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It's basically the Visual Sound 1-Spot or the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power. I use a 1-Spot. No noise issues here, and that's with nearly all digital effects.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16333
    I use a Diago Micropower 9 (1A max current) with a daisy chain, including the effects loop (I seem to be lucky when it comes to ground loops). Also, the Mooer 9V power supply is even pokier and can do 3A.
    I have the Micropower and liking it's smallness.I had some noise problems when I set up my board but tracked that down to a specific pedal in the end. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Mrs Rocker feels that I should get the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus as it sets the standard and is a buy and forget purchase.  Problem is that it costs [from Thomann] a not insignificant €204 posted to me.  Thomann sell a Harley Benton power supply, which looks like the Voodoo Lab unit, for about less than a fifth of the price of the Voodoo Lab box.  Must sleep on it for a few days......

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• What pedals are you using? Years ago I had lots if bother with the 1 spot, horrible high pitched noise - shop took it back and said I'm not the only person to have trouble. I bought a pedal power 2 and it just works, with most pedals (the new version is higher current and can handle big digital effects)

Recently revisited it for a pedal board company, the Harley Benton isn't bad for the money but the outputs aren't isolated. The pedal power has 8 isolated outputs so it's like 8 separate power supplies. The Benton one is effectively like a daisy chain cable, all outputs chained to get her inside - so you might get ground loops and noise. But it's the practically same design as the more expensive T. Rex fuel tank at a lot more money!

What kind of noise are you getting? If it's an earth loop type hum you need something isolated.
  • The smaller Harley Benton PowerPlant Junior does have isolated outputs, however. I've just used one on my rebuilt board and I've had no issues with it. A bit of a bargain.
    The noise is a whisking sound, much louder than from a Strat before you grip the neck :x My Boss RC-3 is unusable as the noise is way louder unless I use batteries in it. Damned annoying

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Try a one spot. Cheap, and solved a real noise issue for my mate :) it doesn't look much, but it really is great. If it's not solved your problem, you can sell it on and go for a bigger beast at only a small loss. But it could potentially save you over a hundred quid.
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    i'm looking for a multi PSU too, so it sounds like either the 'one spot' gear or this harley benton powerplant. Both are much cheaper than I expected - any catches?
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    One more vote for a one-spot. Return it if it doesnt work out. PP2 might be killing a fly with a shotgun in your case.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

I'd just get a suitable 9V SMPS from the likes of Rapid, and swap the polarity.

Costs about £10-15.

• Echo the comments on a one spot. I power 8 power hungry pedals. (delay, line6 m5, zoom g3) and its always been silent.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    I'll throw a spanner in here and say get the Voodoo Labs. It may be expensive, but buy once and buy right.

I don't like wall-wart power supplies like the 1-Spot, they're not reliable in the long run because the cables break and the internal components can overheat due to the casings not being properly ventilated. The PP2 is a metal-cased unit with good ventilation and a detachable IEC power cable, and you can mount it permanently on your pedalboard where it's more or less immune to straining the DC cables.

I know very well that you can get (much) cheaper supplies that do effectively the same job, but if you don't buy the best it will always nag at you.

And because Mrs. Rocker says so :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I know very well that you can get (much) cheaper supplies that do effectively the same job, but if you don't buy the best it will always nag at you.

I've had my £10 Rapid job for 7 years now (mounted on the pedal board). Quiet too, used with many different effects.

I bought a spare while I was at it, but never needed it. Keep it in my bag, takes 30 secs to change. I also have another one for testing etc. That's a Johnny Shredfreak one, cost about £12.

Doesn't nag at me! ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    martinw said:
    I've had my £10 Rapid job for 7 years now (mounted on the pedal board). Quiet too, used with many different effects.

I bought a spare while I was at it, but never needed it. Keep it in my bag, takes 30 secs to change. I also have another one for testing etc. That's a Johnny Shredfreak one, cost about £12.

Doesn't nag at me! ;)

My much-rebuilt Power Bank doesn't nag at me either, but to be honest it was a pain in the backside to stop it humming...

I know, advising someone to spend over a hundred quid when you can get something that does basically the same job for a tenner might seem odd, but for some people buying the best and then never having to think about it or question the decision ever again is worth a fair amount. Especially if their missis has given them the go-ahead to spend the money :).

The Voodoo Lab is a very nicely-made bit of kit too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12069

I think these are clones of something good (in as much as there's anything very secret about a PSU), A T-Rex I heard:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant.htm

I tried the juniors, they work well with my decent and cheap pedals

• steamabacus;54741" said:
    The smaller Harley Benton PowerPlant Junior does have isolated outputs, however. I've just used one on my rebuilt board and I've had no issues with it. A bit of a bargain.
    So it does - that's pretty good for £22 including a load of cables. I've never had any luck with smps....

• My recommendation would be to save up and buy a Voodoo Labs Power Plus.

The outputs all have isolation transformers. This is quite rare with most PSU's.

It is extremely well built, and should last you a long, long time.

The Harley Benton Powerplant Junior is also quite nice; I bought one to try (customers often ask what PSU to use) and it works well with all the pedals I have. I think it may also feature isolated outputs.