6 months to go - what should I do for my 18th?

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
My 18th bday is gonna be this september, and I'm not sure what I should be GASing for. Not thinking party wise as I'm not a drinker nor do I have swathes of friends. So I am looking to start saving around now to chip in with my parents and all the rest of my family to get one big thing, preferably guitar related but I am open to suggestions! 
If you were to suggest something what would it be? 
A car? An Axe FX? Maybe a Feline or Jaden guitar? A .Strandberg* or a 60's Les Paul? 

I'm leaning towards the idea of an Axe Fx, as then I can never whinge that the gear isn't good enough. And it'll  row with me as my tastes inevitably swing from extreme metal to blues and back again and all points in between. But then again, i'd love me a nice fanned fret custom axe like a Skervesen, or Jaden Rose! 

Or do I just buy a Ford Transit and accept that it was a wiser musical investment to be able to get gear to gigs?

'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Start working on 'becoming a drinker'.

You'll need to practice for when you eventually get wed and potentially have sproglings. 

The stress dude.

That aside, try for a guitar that will mean something to you, a 'keeper'.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    If you want something to keep then I wouldn't get an AxeFX. 

Good as they are in ten years they will be worthless whereas a decent guitar you could keep forever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited March 2015
    True... I have always wanted a Gibson slash Les paul. Sadly still on the pricy side!
    'Awibble'
    'Awibble'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Hertz32 said:
    My 18th bday is gonna be this september, and I'm not sure what I should be GASing for. Not thinking party wise as I'm not a drinker nor do I have swathes of friends. So I am looking to start saving around now to chip in with my parents and all the rest of my family to get one big thing, preferably guitar related but I am open to suggestions! 
    If you were to suggest something what would it be? 
    A car? An Axe FX? Maybe a Feline or Jaden guitar? A .Strandberg* or a 60's Les Paul? 

I'm leaning towards the idea of an Axe Fx, as then I can never whinge that the gear isn't good enough. And it'll  row with me as my tastes inevitably swing from extreme metal to blues and back again and all points in between. But then again, i'd love me a nice fanned fret custom axe like a Skervesen, or Jaden Rose! 

Or do I just buy a Ford Transit and accept that it was a wiser musical investment to be able to get gear to gigs?

I wouldn't bother with an Axe-FX. Get something you can keep - the Axe will eventually stop working/become out of date. Get a guitar .. it doesn't have to be expensive .. just something you can treasure. I still have a Hagstrom Swede I got as a birthday present back in the 1970s.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Hertz32 said:
    True... I have always wanted a Gibson slash Les paul. Sadly still on the pricy side!
    Jesus aren't they? I was having an Ebay at work this evening as an aside, you understand.....

Proper pricey for what they is.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    Could just have Feline build me a tribute to the Slash custom, with some more sensible design choices of course. Reinforced headstock, carved neck heel, asl pickups etc. keep the styling cues and fishman powerbridge? I'd like that a lot actually...
    'Awibble'
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    Hertz32 said:
    Could just have Feline build me a tribute to the Slash custom, with some more sensible design choices of course. Reinforced headstock, carved neck heel, asl pickups etc. keep the styling cues and fishman powerbridge? I'd like that a lot actually...
    That's a good idea. 

A significant birthday is a perfect time to get a custom shop guitar as it's something that you will most likely never sell so you don't need to worry about resale.
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    You are certainly wiser than I was at 17, so good luck whatever you decide. I'd get the cash together so you can know what you've got to play with, then visit a few well stocked guitar shops, and try loads out to see what feels right.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3095
    You are certainly wiser than I was at 17
    ...and with considerably richer parents than mine.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    That sounds awesome. I had a paisley tele for my 18th. Still have it and love it 12 years on :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Hertz32;559537" said:
    I paid £1650 New for my vermillion and love it.

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I went to Amsterdam, I think my parents paid for my flight over there  took a load of mushrooms, smoked weed and got hammered. Bloody kids of today.....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    RobDavies;559567" said:
    ElectroDan said:

You are certainly wiser than I was at 17

...and with considerably richer parents than mine.
    Possibly, although I have earnt and paid for almost all my gear myself. My Ironheart head, Engl Cab, pedals, Bass, My new 8 string, etc. I've probably earnt 75% of my gear.
    'Awibble'
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    lloyd;559630" said:
    I went to Amsterdam, I think my parents paid for my flight over there  took a load of mushrooms, smoked weed and got hammered. Bloody kids of today.....
    I think he should be out smashing windows and practising wheelies on a moped. God knows what will happen to this country if we get a generation with a sense of responsibility

I say Feline all the way, that's my idea for my landmark 43rd/44th birthday.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    The Gibbo LP shown in your picture is the one to aim for. It will cover a wide range of bases - Classic Rock to Heavy Metal - and it will be a keeper.

At your age, you are probably more into Metal, so I would recommend a Jackson SL2 Pro Soloist. If that will blow your budget, then take a look at the Jackson SLXFMG with EMG 81/85s, or the SLX X Series guitars with Seymour Duncans. Ibanez do similar guitars at similar prices in their RG range. 

Budget for a good quality hard case, also. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Feline Lester to a judiciously decided spec (such that you won't "grow out of it"). Definitely !!

failing that, coke & hookers ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    rocktron;559693" said:
    The Gibbo LP shown in your picture is the one to aim for. It will cover a wide range of bases - Classic Rock to Heavy Metal - and it will be a keeper.

At your age, you are probably more into Metal, so I would recommend a Jackson SL2 Pro Soloist. If that will blow your budget, then take a look at the Jackson SLXFMG with EMG 81/85s, or the SLX X Series guitars with Seymour Duncans. Ibanez do similar guitars at similar prices in their RG range. 

Budget for a good quality hard case, also. 
    If I was gunna go pointy then I'd go Jaden or Skervesen. I'm not a fan of Ibanez or Jackson necks. Leaning toward the Feline, but if I can get the money for the Cs slash Les Paul I would in a heartbeat!

'Awibble'
    'Awibble'
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
     bum sex
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom