6 months to go - what should I do for my 18th?

What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4898
    Definitely coke and hookers and incorporate bum sex into that.

Then get a great used guitar.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited March 2015
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 622
    How about the Epi Lee Malia ? You know you love it !! and not too silly money that you'll be frightened to play/gig it

Cheers
    Baz
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited December 2015
    Get whatever you want aslong as it isn't from (ADMIN EDIT: see here)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11965
    edited March 2015 tFB Trader
    Yes - we've been thinking about the Derrig Slash guitar of late 
    Been building this as a first run at doing something similar
    Using the ASL Tubesnake pickups too

Nice pink/peachy coloured maple - it's natural colour although we will add an amber wash to the colour when finished

Back view is pretty too - all access heel on show

Shown with inlays laid out - now installed

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11965
    tFB Trader
    the original 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Thats actually gorgeous... Okay then, a lovely Feline tribute is looking top of the pile right now ;)
    'Awibble'
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1375
    edited March 2015
    Go on one of Mark Bailey's Build Your Own Guitar Courses (www.baileyguitars.co.uk) and make your own guitar. 
     There's nothing quite like playing a guitar that you have made yourself.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    the original 
    Just as well he's got it slung low enough to look silly - imagine the buckle rash off that ammo belt.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2015
    bazxkr;560057" said:
    How about the Epi Lee Malia ? You know you love it !! and not too silly money that you'll be frightened to play/gig it

CheersBaz
    Youre right, I do love that malia Epiphone, I just think I'll pick one up used in a couple years for half the price, £600 is steep for an epiphone
    'Awibble'
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited March 2015
    In my case that'd be because it'd give me splinters and wouldn't intonate properly. :D

I got my Squier Jazzmaster for my 18th. For my 21st I'm wondering if I should angle for something cool from 1995, the year I was born... the problem being that there isn't actually that much cool stuff from 1995. I'd love a black LP Custom, but I'm sure Feline could do a better job of making one... that's a thought actually...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Bucket said:
    In my case that'd be because it'd give me splinters and wouldn't intonate properly. :D

You're not allowed to leave the workshop with a lousy guitar. Even though it's your handiwork, Mark makes certain it's a good'un, otherwise he feels it reflects badly on him.
    This interests me greatly... What would you be allowed to build? Obviously he can cater for endless T and LP alikes, but would he be able to help me build something more unusual, like a fanned fret 9 string?
    'Awibble'
    edited March 2015
    Hertz32 said:
    This interests me greatly... What would you be allowed to build? Obviously he can cater for endless T and LP alikes, but would he be able to help me build something more unusual, like a fanned fret 9 string?
    Potentially yes. I suspect the main question with a fanned design is fret slot placement . For an ordinary fretboard, there are templates which you use to cut the fret slots. I think a couple of formites have made fanned guitars (? TTony and WesV) - might be worth sending them PM's to find out how they worked out fret slot placement.  You also have to decide how much you can afford in terms of time / complexity of build as overall cost will increase, though even a basic guitar with say a nice top will be gratifying to make.

I'm not that sensible!! My first build was an Archtop. The second one was a Les Paul, and I currently making an Acoustic.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2933
    An eighth of chan and some hot women id say.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    @blueskunk said:
    An eighth of chan and some hot women id say.
    I think that should be law up until 30 50 at the very least

Well, I reckon fanned fretting shouldnt be too bad, working out the fan isnt the problem, as there are online calculators that will generate whatever fan, for whatever width of fretboard you fancy. I'm very tempted to do a fanned fret headless 10 string using .Strandberg* hardware. Purely for the shock factor and lolz, I'd keep it as an ornament long after losing interest in tuning down to G#/Drop F# with .150 strings!

Or maybe an 18 string, dual course 9 string. One for every year? >:D<

Drug wise I'm cool, I'm clean me :) and I already have a hot volunteer for anal! XD
    'Awibble'
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3095
    Hertz32 said:

Drug wise I'm cool, I'm clean me :) and I already have a hot volunteer for anal! XD
    Please leave Rover out of this.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28419
    Hertz32 said:
    He certainly can help you build more-or-less whatever you can imagine.  However, there are some practical limits.  The first is "how much do you want to spend", and the second is "how much can you do in the time of the course".

This is my 3, the first being in the foreground, the last being at the back.

You'll notice that my first build was pretty simples.  No cap, simple set neck, 2 p'ups, standard controls.  I could have done more in the week, but I was learning a lot of basic wood-working, tool-handling and guitar-building skills at the same time, so keeping it simple (and building a very good guitar) was a better option for me than aiming for something very complex and ending up with something not so good.

The last one is a thru-neck, 3-layered body with a GK3 kit too.   Between 1 and 3, I'd built a few at home, was more comfortable with the tools and techniques, etc.  However, even this one is using standard templates (fretting, body shape, cavities, etc), which saves a huge amount of time.  Making a fanned fret 9 string would - I think - take you longer than the week as you'd need to cut the frets manually (Mark's table-saw jig does it in a couple of minutes), and you'd need to make templates for the neck and fretboard, and p'up cavities, cut your own nut, etc.  That's all going to add significant time.

And - tbh - you might well find that a fanned-fret 9 string is a bit of an "of an era" fashion statement ... rather than becoming the guitar-to-keep-&-treasure-for-ever 18th present.

But give them a ring for a chat.  They're friendly people and will give you sensible feedback on what you suggest.  They want you to be successful more than you do.

I'd strongly recommend doing the course.  It was - seriously - life-changing for me in that it gave me a new hobby and the skills / knowledge to be halfway decent at it.  Think of it as a hugely valuable and enjoyable experience that'll generate memories that you'll keep forever.  You'll spend a week in a workshop with 4 other guys (incl Mark) having a great time, doing something that you'll love doing and learning some skills (guitar building and set-up) that'll be with you for life.  Carol will keep you fed and watered during the day.

It's also a week's holiday on the Ayrshire coast with those aforementioned other guys, with some decent pubs, restaurants and live music venues (and the Mark & Carol hosted open mic eves, which are huge fun) - every time I've been, the week has been a great holiday too.  Exhausting too.  You have to switch off from everything else in your life, and you focus completely on the guitaring.

And before I forget, you also come away with a stunning guitar, something tangible that you will keep for ever.  I'll sell my PRSi, Gibsons, NSGs, everything, before I sold that first Bailey build.  As I sit here typing this, that first guitar is actually the second-closest to me, hanging proudly on my wall.

HTH

I think a couple of formites have made fanned guitars (? TTony and WesV) - might be worth sending them PM's to find out how they worked out fret slot placement.  You also have to decide how much you can afford in terms of time / complexity of build as overall cost will increase, though even a basic guitar with say a nice top will be gratifying to make.
    @WezV built my fanned fret for me, he is the nominated forum fanned expert!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Hertz32 said:
    I already have a hot volunteer for anal! XD
    It's nice you think I'm hot.
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom