Dulling finish question

What's Hot
I'm dulling the finish on a guitar body and just had some quick questions. 

I've wetsanded with 1200 grit and 1500 grit. I've got the dullness I'm looking for, but when you look close-up the scratches, although light, are evident. 

If I use a light abrasive substance and polish, like brasso or toothpaste, is this going to leave the dull appearance (naturally, minus scratches), or is it going to bring it back up to a high polish/gloss appearance? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2993
    tFB Trader
    Starting 1500 would've been better, or 2000. If you hit it with that or 2500 it should improve though. You can get 3000 soft pads which leave a fine sheen (Trizact) but they're mostly sold in packs and a bit pricey.

Toothpaste & brasso won't lose the scratches from the 1200 and will polish between those, kind of thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    edited March 2015
    Ah, that's pretty much different to everything I've read. I've seen a few people get good results with just wet sanding at 1000ish grit, finishing around 1500. I thought if you went much higher and then polished with a compound, you'd actually end up putting the gloss back in? 

Just to add I'm working on poly.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I'm not sure but I would've thought 0000 wire wool might serve your purpose.
    tFB Trader

1200 can be pretty dang sharp, especially if it's a fresh piece. A 10-min soaking can help a little but still. When I flat fresh paint for polishing I usually start at 1200. It needs a good going-over with 1500 to rid the scratches from the 1200. But then the 2000 takes a lot less effort and you end up with a good even finish.
    The 3k pad isn't needed but it leaves a fine satin sheen. It's still a long way from full gloss but praps too shiney for people wanting more of a matt job (I use it because shows any missed scratches, saves compounding and then finding 'em after).

The compounding then starts bringing it up to gloss.

I wouldn't be happy with a 1000-sanded finish, but people like different things and internet pics don't show the fine detail in such things too well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll give it a good go with 1500 and finish with 2000.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16968
    Corvus said:

I wouldn't be happy with a 1000-sanded finish, but people like different things and internet pics don't show the fine detail in such things too well.

this.

Somebody else was happy with the standard you have already achieved, you are not.  your standards must be higher

from the stage you are at already i like to use 0000 liberon wire wool and briwax. - but that is more to get a worn semi-gloss than a satin
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    This will also depend on what the finish is too... presumably poly and nitro need different techniques?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11140
    tFB Trader
    I use Mirlon ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

tFB Trader
    Poly/nitro, not really as far as sandpaper goes. Nitro varies a bit more but it's the same difference with the papers.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Micro mesh would probably do the job too, allow you to polish out the scratches but without bringing back the shine.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    WezV;564165" said:
    Corvus said:

this.

Somebody else was happy with the standard you have already achieved, you are not.  your standards must be higher

from the stage you are at already i like to use 0000 liberon wire wool and briwax. - but that is more to get a worn semi-gloss than a satin

Did one of mine (nitro) with 0000 wool and T-Cut, then went over it with polish and a cotton cloth. Came up lovely, just 'off the shine'.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I used Liberon 0000 wire wool as well

Original shiny finish
    Uploaded with Imgupr

After the wire wool

Uploaded with Imgupr

After some car polish

Uploaded with Imgupr
    All helpful comments, thanks. I found the wire wool to actually be a bit harsher than the wet paper, and would equate to around 800grit. I've wet-sanding up to 2000 grit and just polished with some brasso, and it is much better. Not quite a full satin, just a dulled finish that was the look I was going for. I'll get some pics up soon. 

I've also got a nitro gloss clear coat curing on a neck, so next week I'll just take the orange peel back a bit with 2000 grit wet sanding and polish with brasso again.