PitBulls & Turtles

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    I think there's a fair difference between being nipped by a Chihuahua and mauled by a Pitbull. All I'm saying is that no animal can be relied on to behave in an absolutely predictable way. I'm not just some killjoy, I've owned many pets over the years and I've experienced a few surprises in that time.
    As for Da Lefty letting his dog play with a 5 year old, even under supervision, I don't give out much hope for his chances of separating his dog's teeth from the toddler's head in time to avoid serious damage (to the kid,not the dog).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28055
    edited March 2015
    Sassafras said:
    I think there's a fair difference between being nipped by a Chihuahua and mauled by a Pitbull. 
    True enough, but an angry, aggressive chihuahua can do a shocking amount of skin, muscle and nerve damage in a very short space of time, due in no small part to the fact that they're ridiculously fast and have really sharp teeth. When mine bit me, it was because he was in a lot of pain at the time and we were trying to separate a broken claw. He wasn't being aggressive, and I felt his teeth hit the bone.

I also have a scar on my leg from our husky-collie cross, again from my own mistake in mis-handling the situation when he was clearly stressed and I was in a hurry.

So yeah...I know what you mean. I accept these risks as a dog owner; what I won't do is force other people to take those risks too.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Talking of really sharp teeth, I used to keep Ferrets and I accidentally got between one of them's teeth and it's dinner. They're tenacious little beggars, went right through to the bone and wouldn't let go. It reminded me of that time Richard Whiteley was bitten by one on telly. His self control was admirable, he didn't swear once, at least not while the camera was on him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Drew_fx;567741" said:
    FWIW - cats are just as, if not more than, dangerous as dogs. But they get a free pass why??

Dogs are easy-ish to domesticate. We've evolved together. Cats and humans have NOT had such a link over the thousands of years, and even though they're pets, they are NOT domesticated.

I trust dogs. I don't trust cats.
    That because cats are cnuts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    impmann said:
    So in one breath you talk about intimidating people using your big scary dog that isn't scary at all. And then it's a case of telling someone to fuck off whilst your dog happens to be sat next to you... Same thing pal.

Fwiw - I've been around dogs all my life. I agree that it's all about training - to a point - but when someone starts bragging that he's fed his dog on raw Lamb chops all it's life and it breaks collars when it sees a sheep, it says to me that the training is all to cock. Your dog is *not* under control - and as my father in law is a farmer having someone bragging that their dog worries sheep - and is an unmuzzled dangerous dog, I'd warn you that farmers have the right to shoot to kill in that circumstance. Is that the dog's fault? No.

If you do have a fully papered APB, then you would know your legal obligations, plus you would know the penalties for allowing what you claim to allow. To come out with stuff like that on a public forum shows utter contempt and crass stupidity. Frankly, I hope that someone reports you - and like it or not, these rules are there to protect the innocent. A dog is an animal - you *cannot* reason with it, despite your arguments. An APB (a real one) has gained its reputation and it's addition to the DDA through real life events - often with the owners stunned that they'd never done that before...

I'm beginning to believe that you are just trolling - but for the record, I found your postings above highly offensive, highly inflammatory and highly irresponsible on a public forum.

I'm out of this thread.
    I think you need to read that post again, my local sheep farmers love my dog and all of them have given us permission to walk through their fields even when their sheep are in it because my dog is terrified of sheep and runs away from them, he has broken a few collars and a lead running away from sheep, not running towards them, and the local sheep farmers have seen this, if a sheep gets within fifty yards of my dog he shits himself and runs away from them, one of the local sheep farmers even said to me he would be embarrased if it was his dog bolting away from the sheep in fear, he doesn't bother them he's just shit scared of them, which I think is strange because like I said he is fed raw lamb chops every day, he's also terrified of ducks for some strange reason.

Try to remember I'm not British, I don't know your laws, and I didn't find out pitbulls are banned in this country until one of the nurses pointed it out to my ex and I when he was brought into the hospital to visit me, after all he was allowed entry into this country.  Since I've found out he's a banned breed after he was brought into the country, don't forget my dog was born in Australia, and came out from Australia with my ex and I when we moved here for work, I didn't buy or adopt him in the U.K., I do pay more attention to his behaviour, but I don't and won't put a muzzle on him, I've spoken to my local cops about it - I was actually prepared to pack in my job and leave the U.K. because of worrying about my dog being put down, even though he was allowed into this country with a passport that clearly states his breed in the first place, and they told me not to bother with a muzzle as he is a hard as putty on a hot summers day, like I also mentioned in a post, my local police stop us often when I'm out walking him to play with him, and I'm not stupid, I know they are checking his temperament and behaviour everytime they do it - though I do wish they would stop feeding him junk food like sausage rolls and crisps.

Do you people seriously think I walk my dog down the high street, around shops and the local super market?  That wouldn't be much of a walk, and in fact I would go so far as to call it neglect.  When I take him for walks he gets either walked to work with me which is about five or six miles, my pedometer that my physiotherapist gave me to keep track of my progress and so she can monitor my daily activity hasn't made up it's mind which it is yet - depending on how much stuff if any I need to bring in with me, if I need to bring a lot of stuff in with me I drive to work with him, we go out into the countryside for walks, for the fresh air and space, up the hills for the views, to get away from the noise of the town and people, and for the exercise - more so now since I'm still undergoing physiotherapy and am not quit walking properly yet or have the full strength of my legs back yet, out into the middle of nowhere where, I don't think I have ever bumped into anybody else, yet alone another dog walker when I take my dog out for a walk, and I still don't let him of the lead on these walks.  Or we sometimes go to beaches that nobody seems to use, but my dogs not a fan of the beaches, he doesn't like the cold water so won't go into the sea with me, and again he doesn't get let off his lead there, and hes not on one of these extendable leads, just a standard thick heavy duty stainless steel lead that has a thick leather loop for a handle on it.  .

The only time my dog is off the lead is when he is in the house, or in my back garden, which incidentally has a six foot high fence all the way around it as well as a six foot high hedge in front of the fence, the rest of the garden is grass, and four concrete slabs that I bought at B&Q and have put in for my BBQ - I am Australian after all and if I didn't have a BBQ, I'd feel naked.

Do you by any chance get paid to be offended, you seem to be bloody good at it.

Any dog can do that. Owning any dog - even small ones - is not something that comes entirely without risk. Hell, our chihuahua bit clean through my thumbnail to the bone once.

There's nothing that quite compares to a big, fluffy hug from an animal that trusts you completely and unconditionally first thing in the morning, though. It's a trade-off and even though we have two dogs who, as you say, could quite easily take out a human being should they so desire (and one who could remove a digit)...our lives are immeasurably better for having them with us.

I consider my dog to be the worlds best hot water bottle, I don't need a kettle to heat up water, or fill him up, I don't have to worry about him springing a leak, and if it gets too hot, he moves, I don't have to move, plus it's cool falling asleep stroking his head when he has his head rested on my chest in bed.

Sassafras said:
    Talking of really sharp teeth, I used to keep Ferrets and I accidentally got between one of them's teeth and it's dinner. They're tenacious little beggars, went right through to the bone and wouldn't let go. It reminded me of that time Richard Whiteley was bitten by one on telly. His self control was admirable, he didn't swear once, at least not while the camera was on him.
    But you can't deny that they are cute and playful

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1657
    edited March 2015
    Hermes has a lot to answer for.
    Hermes has a lot to answer for.

I think he might actually work for them, and be the delivery driver resposible for the damage done to the guitar.

DaLefty
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I like cats :(

Small dogs are often pretty dangerous because their owners treat them like a child, especially young women. They let them get away with behaviour they shouldn't because they're small and in their eyes harmless. 
    My V key is broken
    "Don't worry, he won't hurt you, he's very friendly, he just wants to say hello"
    The last words you'll ever hear in this life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Drew_fx;567739" said:
    impmann said:

I found your postings above highly offensive, highly inflammatory and highly irresponsible on a public forum.

And for the record, I find nearly every single post you've made on this forum to be BORING AS FUCK!!
    Devastated.

And we have so much in common too.

I shall cherish the memories of our night together, though.

:p
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    speshul91 said:
    Drew_fx;567741" said:
    FWIW - cats are just as, if not more than, dangerous as dogs. But they get a free pass why??

Dogs are easy-ish to domesticate. We've evolved together. Cats and humans have NOT had such a link over the thousands of years, and even though they're pets, they are NOT domesticated.

I trust dogs. I don't trust cats.
    That because cats are cnuts
    +1 and they climb on cars scratch paintwork and shit in every garden apart from their own.
    Doug said:
    +1 and they climb on cars scratch paintwork and shit in every garden apart from their own.
    There is a simple way to stop that happening, it's called milk and antifreeze, but then you have to find a shoe box and dig a grave for the thing.

DaLefty
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are we sure dalefty isn't J Trollingridge?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Seems such a charming chap
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Dalefty said:
    Doug said:
    There is a simple way to stop that happening, it's called milk and antifreeze, but then you have to find a shoe box and dig a grave for the thing.

DaLefty
    Well you just lost any good will I had for you.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    holnrew said:
    Well you just lost any good will I had for you.

Do you seriously think I would do that?  I do own a dog who loves milk, how do you think I'd feel if he drank it?

DaLefty
  • Pleae bring back face palms
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25533
    I'm watching The Godfather right now and it's gone to my head.. My finger is hovering over the ban button.... capische ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm watching The Godfather right now and it's gone to my head.. My finger is hovering over the ban button.... capische ?
    Which one? I think my favourite one has to be the second one, and do you happen to know if they are turning the last book in the series ''The Last Don'' into a film?

DaLefty
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884
    Laugh, love, live, learn.