Tidal bullshit...

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
Anyone seen this..?

Im on mobile so cant link...but search for the video.

Basically a new type spotify which is owned by a group of pop stars which charges listeners $20 subscription.

Their whole idea is that this is artists owning the platform and delivering the best music and quality to the fans.

They diss spotify by saying their platform isnt owned by a corporate company that has advertising on it....but they fail to mention that spotify is free for the fans and theirs isn't

plus the press conference is a fuckin joke...they make it out like they are the founding fathers and signing the decleration of independence...sad, lost and out of touch pop stars!

Also...why do some women is pop music feel its appropriate to always look like whores??
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Also...im not supporting spotify...i dont use any streaming service, because a. If i like band i buy their music, usually through bandcamp, then physically then maybe itunes if they have it...and b. I dont like the whole disposable nature of streaming music
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I'm pleased as I can now browse through Spotify knowing I won't come across any tracks by Kane West and co. That pleases me ... I like streaming services and I think Spotify offers a great service. If I find music I really like then I buy the CD. I can't see why people complain about streaming - it's like a radio station where you can choose the music.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired;578013" said:
    I'm pleased as I can now browse through Spotify knowing I won't come across any tracks by Kane West and co. That pleases me ... I like streaming services and I think Spotify offers a great service. If I find music I really like then I buy the CD. I can't see why people complain about streaming - it's like a radio station where you can choose the music.
    Im not complainig about streaming...its just not for me.
    samzadgan said:
    Fretwired;578013" said:
    Im not complainig about streaming...its just not for me.
    Not you .. Kane West and co.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    I barely use Spotify but when I do its to dip in and hear if I like, if I like, I buy.

Or to have a sneaky 'listen and learn' for band tracks..
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6287
    I use Spotify daily. Its not free, its a tenner a month. I love it. For music I really like, especially if its more ambient or classical, I will buy the CD, primarily cos I want the highest quality audio I can buy. That's my only bug with Spotify, that its not ultra high quality.

Tidal claims that it has hi res audio streams for 20 quid a month. If they can rival the catalogue of Spotify, that may tempt me. I also like the idea that they claim the artist gets more money than from SPotify.

I will keep an eye on it. Similarly watching Neil Young's Pono and Trent Reznor's Daisy. Both hi res formats.
    Snap said:
    I use Spotify daily. Its not free, its a tenner a month. I love it. For music I really like, especially if its more ambient or classical, I will buy the CD, primarily cos I want the highest quality audio I can buy. That's my only bug with Spotify, that its not ultra high quality.

Tidal claims that it has hi res audio streams for 20 quid a month. If they can rival the catalogue of Spotify, that may tempt me. I also like the idea that they claim the artist gets more money than from SPotify.

I will keep an eye on it. Similarly watching Neil Young's Pono and Trent Reznor's Daisy. Both hi res formats.
    If you pat for Spotify ( as I do) then you already get 320kbps playback which is hi-res.

its not hi res. Its not even CD

I'm talking about studio master grade reslution. 24 bit audio. I've got all the kit to play it, and it sounds ace. The last NIN album was released on 24bit studio master, and it sounds really good, quite different to the CD.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28013
    Pah...apparently they're claiming "lossless" streams. I think it's pretty unlikely they're actually doing lossless streams. 

In any case...they make a big noise about being "artist owned", but ultimately they're still a company owned by rich people. I don't see it being any different for the little people than any other streaming/distribution service, except there are more assholes in charge of this one.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    The one question I have is "how much do artists get when their song gets played" ?  I believe that was the whole idea behind all of the people involved in this because Spotify pays almost nothing but so far I can't find any info on this.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    i find the idea that a group of Pop stars having a different agenda to a corporate company with execs a very hard thing to swallow...

now, if they had come out and said, this is not for profit business, and the subscription you pay goes only to artists and maintaining the product...then that would make me buy into their ideals...but its not...its basically a bunch of rich people wanting to get richer by using their names to exploit other artists and fans.
    Snap said:

I'm talking about studio master grade reslution. 24 bit audio. I've got all the kit to play it, and it sounds ace. The last NIN album was released on 24bit studio master, and it sounds really good, quite different to the CD.
    Not sure you can stream 24 bit audio properly. I too have some 24 bit studio masters and they do sound good by 320kbps through a set of headphones is OK for streaming on the move IMHO.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    jd0272;578034" said:
    I barely use Spotify but when I do its to dip in and hear if I like, if I like, I buy.

Or to have a sneaky 'listen and learn' for band tracks..
    Same here.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28013
    edited March 2015
    The ridiculous thing is that Spotify actually does give money to the artists. Lots of it, and that number's trending upwards over time. In fact, if you assume that an album is played 100+ times during its ownership, artists would make more money from Spotify through their tracks being played as much.

They just don't get it all at once, which is why there's the feeling that it's less lucrative. It also relies on people liking your music enough to keep playing it.
    <space for hire>
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    The ridiculous thing is that Spotify actually does give money to the artists. Lots of it, and that number's trending upwards over time. In fact, if you assume that an album is played 100+ times during its ownership, artists would make more money from Spotify through their tracks being played as much.

They just don't get it all at once, which is why there's the feeling that it's less lucrative. It also relies on people liking your music enough to keep playing it.
    that depends on the artist. Eminem or someone of that stature will make major cash but there are literally 100s of examples of bands getting 16 cents for 1000s of plays on spotify
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Fretwired said:
    Snap said:

Not sure you can stream 24 bit audio properly. I too have some 24 bit studio masters and they do sound good by 320kbps through a set of headphones is OK for streaming on the move IMHO.
    you could well be right. I'm sceptical. I nearly signed up to the 20 quid a month, late one Friday evening, fuelled by booze, but the sense kicked in, which is why I'll wait and see. Spotify will take some shifting for sure.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    I think they will struggle to build up their userbase compared with Spotify.

I would think that most people get into Spotify with the free service, and then upgrade to the paid one to get more than 10 hours per month and to lose the ads.

As there doesn't appear to be a free service on Tidal then I think most new punters are likely to join Spotify.

If Tidal pays the artists significantly more per play than Spotify then I can see artists pulling their music from Spotify.  If enough big artists do that then they might be able to persuade paying customers to switch.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    samzadgan said:

Also...why do some women is pop music feel its appropriate to always look like whores??
    COZ ALL WOMYN ARE WHORES! AMIRITE LADS!?! OMG OMG !!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    samzadgan said:
    Anyone seen this..?

Im on mobile so cant link...but search for the video.

Basically a new type spotify which is owned by a group of pop stars which charges listeners $20 subscription.

Their whole idea is that this is artists owning the platform and delivering the best music and quality to the fans.

They diss spotify by saying their platform isnt owned by a corporate company that has advertising on it....but they fail to mention that spotify is free for the fans and theirs isn't

plus the press conference is a fuckin joke...they make it out like they are the founding fathers and signing the decleration of independence...sad, lost and out of touch pop stars!

Is that the fans who don't want to pay for music but pay through the nose for their fucking shitty Beats? 

Sad, lost, and out of touch = describing women pop stars as whores. 

Spotify can go fuck itself.