Summer holiday 2015

What's Hot
Where are you going? 

I need to think of exactly where I'd like to go. In fact I know: Australia. But we'd have only two weeks and it's pretty expensive. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Amsterdam.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    Las Vegas next week, but that's for a wedding. Florida later in the year (my wife has family out there).
    thomasross20;39467" said:
    Where are you going? 

I need to think of exactly where I'd like to go. In fact I know: Australia. But we'd have only two weeks and it's pretty expensive. 
    Yes, you really need longer than that to visit Oz. The flights are pretty knackering and it'll take you a few days to recover. What sort of holiday are you looking for? Beach? Culture? Bit of both?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    France. It's easy to get to, you can take your own car, great food, great wine and as long as you avoid Paris, friendly people. It's also a great place to tour, it's huge and the landscape is extremely varied.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Centre Parcs.  
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    I've never had a good meal in France - only been to Paris. I hear the South is good. 
    Rome was good and we'd go to another part of Italy again. 
    One of our best holidays was in Austria - we were there during some festival so lots to do, it was very serene. 
    I'm not massive on beach holidays - I like things to do!
    We both love Disneyland/World - Universal Studios in Florida is the best, though. 

I'm not 100% sure what I want but it can't be 100% on the beach doing nothing.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884
    Got a villa in Menorca.Lovely island and the town of Ciutadella is simply fantastic.Can't wait.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I'm in a villa on Majorca with all the family (3 generations) this August, should be good fun. Off to Thailand for New Years for couple weeks. Australia for just 2 weeks seems not long enough, doesn't really excite me as a holiday destination if I'm honest.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3166
    No where during the summer.

However we're off to Florida next month for 2 weeks. Disney World, Universal, Kennedy Space Centre etc. I can't wait. I've beena few times before and I love it. Couldn't hire a Mustang this time though :( so we've gone for a Hyundai Santa Fe.
    @Stevepage - I've done exactly that a few years ago. 
    Univeral was the highlight. Disneyworld is big and tiring - I preferred the one in Paris.
    Mustang! Wow! :)
    There's a great restaurant called the "Olive Garden" on/near International Drive - loved it.
    I really liked Thailand. Went a few years back before I met my wife so we'll probably go back as she wants to see it too. I did a tour, it started in Bangkok, went up North to Chang Mai and then came back down south. Saw lots of temples, visited an elephant sanctuary, stayed in a jungle village, visited the Death Railway museum and then had a few days chilling out on Koh Samet. Great trip
    I've heard Thailand is good. Long flight though - 2 weeks enough? Is it the sort of place you're likely to get ill for a week? 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1927
    We had two weeks in Cuba in February for my 40th so no budget left for fancy hols this summer.

We have got a few days on Arran booked for August though
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Devon, camping in the middle of the school holidays. :-SS
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2084
    San Francisco to Vegas to LA is the best holiday I've ever done - car, motels, mountains, desert, Joshua Trees, gambling, hippies, then LA and all that that entails.

French food is VASTLY overrated. Totally based on reputation - almost every pub / restaurant has the same menu - Croque Monsieurs, crepes, omelette and chips, baguettes, mussels. Might be different in the high end restaurants but who can afford those every night?Apart from that - France is a great destination.

I'm old and boring now though, so Portugal villa for us this year. 100% slouching. Can't wait. 
    thomasross20;601774" said:
    I've heard Thailand is good. Long flight though - 2 weeks enough? Is it the sort of place you're likely to get ill for a week? 
    Flight times weren't too bad, about 11 hours I think? Two weeks should be fine, the stuff I mentioned was over 16 days and we did a LOT of travelling in that time. I went with a company called Explore. I've used them a few times now, they do good trips and use local guides and do slightly unusual stuff/ go off the beaten track a bit more than most travel companies. No stomach problems with the food at all, just take the usual precautions, only drink bottled water, no ice in drinks etc.
    I spent a few months in Thailand a few years back, never had any issues and my favourite "restaurant" I saw them washing the dishes in a pot hole-it was a cart outside a 7/11!

2 weeks is never enough to see anywhere, you've just got to pick a few bits and write off some things. You can't do it all....the flight is not too bad so doesn't eat into your holiday dates, I think im off work for 16 days to recover....

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited April 2015
    I have a couple of relatives coming to London from New York City in August. I'll be their tour guide in Paris, and Barcelona for short stays. Then, I'll be going over to NYC to spend the Christmas and New Year holidays at their place. 

Eurostar Trains have a special fare of £72 return to Paris, if booked early. 

I am already looking at fares to NYC for Christmas, because it gets extortionate, and prohibitive, closer to December. 

Right, I'm off to watch the F1 Grand Prix.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Was meant to be Cuba, but we moved the schools recently, and Gateshead has different term dates to Northumberland, and eldest will be doing SAT's so no time off school.

So we're now going to Rhodes. Which I've heard is lovely. And it's not a 10 hr + flight. :)

Cuba next year though. Lovely place.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    Rhodes is beautiful, not cheap though. I'd go back tomorrow.