Summer holiday 2015

What's Hot

Comments

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    jd0272 said:
    Booking a luxury log cabin with hot tub is a good way to explore Yorkshire. Google log cabins Keldy.
    They look lovely, but as they're the same price for three nights as a week's all inclusive somewhere hot I can't see it happening!

Anyone who's wondering why people don't holiday in the UK needs to just look a few prices up and it should be pretty obvious...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Bought a seat on the plane for my guitar this time. 2 years ago KLM failed to transfer my guitar between flights in Amsterdam, and it took 2 days for it to be reunited with me.
    Lucky.

More normally when that happens they turn up broken, or never...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    chrispy108;602217" said:
    jd0272 said:Booking a luxury log cabin with hot tub is a good way to explore Yorkshire. Google log cabins Keldy.

They look lovely, but as they're the same price for three nights as a week's all inclusive somewhere hot I can't see it happening!

Anyone who's wondering why people don't holiday in the UK needs to just look a few prices up and it should be pretty obvious...
    I whole heartedly agree matey. But, when one's back's against the wall (physically available time off etc) I'd rather stay somewhere a bit nice.

Fckn midges were murder mind :(
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    You guys can afford holidays? First world problem ;)

Where I used to live there were quite a few holiday let properties. IE it was the kind of place people went to for their holidays. So when I was off work, I was "on holiday": drive over to the coast if I felt like it, go for a stomp round the fields if I didn't.

Where I live now, I'm beginning to feel like I need a holiday. I think if you feel the need for a holiday it is probably indicative of you living somewhere crap.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    It's lovely where I live. I just want two weeks where work can't get me, the roadworks are some other fuckers headache, it's hot and sunny, I don't have to drive ANYWHERE, and I can open a door and say to the three kids, "On ye go..."

Obviously not in the style of the McCann's however. Kids in sight at all times.

And all the booze and food is paid for :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I love where I live, yet still love holidays. Seeing another payment of the world is great, I definitely think travel broadens the mind and teaches you a lot.

Sitting on your arse drinking beer with no cleaning or washing up for a couple weeks is nice for the Mrs to experience once a year too ;)

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2118
    Cornwall at a guess! A bit of fishing from the boat is enough to stave off cobwebs for a few months :)
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3026
    Already been to Cyprus, off to Yorkshire to visit the folks for a week in August and a Med cruise in November.

• ForgeForge Frets: 431
    edited April 2015
    I" drive the tribe down to the French Alps. You can't beat free accommodation and great scenery! I can see myself being awfully drunk with the (great and cheap) mountain wine and absinthe.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1375
    edited April 2015
    ICBM said:
    Bought a seat on the plane for my guitar this time. 2 years ago KLM failed to transfer my guitar between flights in Amsterdam, and it took 2 days for it to be reunited with me.
    Lucky.

It was in a Hiscox Case. However there was another slight problem - I'd thoughtfully also padded the spaces around the guitar with all my underwear and socks, so it wasn't just the guitar that was delayed!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    ArchtopDave said:

It was in a Hiscox Case. However there was another slight problem - I'd thoughtfully also padded the spaces around the guitar with all my underwear and socks, so it wasn't just the guitar that was delayed!!
    Aha. That must have dissuaded whoever had planned to steal it.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Just back from a Western Med cruise (retirement treat for Our Maud and me), and off to Cyprus at the end of May for two weeks.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25493
    Dunno.  I've always loved the Greek islands.  I've been to quite a few now.  However, by the time you tot it all up and factor in the food & drink, it actually comes in roughly the same as going to a five-star all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean.  We've done Cuba twice and Mexico twice - both were fab, but Mexico had the edge in terms of cuisine and all-round 'everything working and available-ness'.  Cuba, however, had the huge advantage that it had no bloody gobby Americans disturbing the peace 24/7.

Greece has the edge on the flights though...  no need to trek up to Gatwick (4h drive each way) and about seven hours less wedged into a torturous seat in economy.

Talking of gobby yanks - we were on a river trip through a wildlife park in Mexico once, and all around the boarding jetty and on the boat, are signs requesting silence on the boat, so the animals won't scarper and we can actually see them.  We pushed off into the river..... they lasted ten seconds.  Once one started, they all joined in, Gee Honey...  Hey where you guys from ?...  Have you tried the restaurant etc...   We saw one monkey who watched us drift by from the shore, giving the hand gesture for what I can only presume is Simian for "fuck off you noisy yank twats".
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    I don't do holidays, I rarely take days off, I used to take a day or two off ever few months to go diving when I was working back home but since the whole MRSA thing and getting back to work I haven't really taken a day off, the girlfriend wants to show me round Ireland when we can both get time off together - she's from Newry I think the place is called, so that's my plans for this year is to get over there at some point, it would be cool if I could see Wales or at least some of it too this year.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I might go to Embankment and eat a pigeon.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3095
    Cyprus.  Again.

Polis to be exact.   Love it there - villa with a private pool and walking distance from the bars and restaurants.  Perfect.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    ICBM said:
    Lucky.

:o
    Never realised you can book a seat for your guitar! 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Cape Coral, Gulf coast of Florida for a couple of weeks. Villa, pool, boat, gin, tonic, beer, you know the drill.

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    A week sailing out of Troon yacht harbor in a rented Halberg-rassy 342, maybe a week learning to scuba dive in Croatia too depending on some stuff
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • stickyfiddle;601871" said:
    Not long back from Russia so no more big trips until at least September/October. M

Quick weekend in the UK next month, and hoping for India or Cambodia for next proper holiday.

And going for a weekend on Tatooine for my birthday :D

https://cdn.praivit.com/img/media/Abu_Dhabi/Anantara_Qasr_Al_Sarab/Villa_private_pool_with_dunes_view.jpg
    stickyfiddle;601871" said:
    Not long back from Russia so no more big trips until at least September/October.

Quick weekend in the UK next month, and hoping for India or Cambodia for next proper holiday.

And going for a weekend on Tatooine for my birthday :D

https://cdn.praivit.com/img/media/Abu_Dhabi/Anantara_Qasr_Al_Sarab/Villa_private_pool_with_dunes_view.jpg

Tatooine is great but remember to take a Boss pedal with you. Taskan raiders have a phobia of buffered pedals.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/flanging_fred/Music/My Pedals/9F5DDFF5-B0AF-4749-9585-3B0FEB710B39-6982-0000055326847FDE_zps692b499e.jpg

I'm off to Crete to find a Minotaur.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom