Summer holiday 2015

What's Hot

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7973
    edited April 2015
    I don't really enjoy long holidays, about 3 days is as much as I enjoy, a week is too long for me usually.  I'd honestly rather have more time to make music.  It has been a couple of years since I took a longer holiday and I've stayed in the UK that whole time and been happy with the short breaks we've had (usually based around a hike/seeing something historical or cultural, and a couple of restaurants).  There is plenty to do in the UK and you can go at the drop of a hat, sometimes we've booked the morning we've left (this way you know where/if the weather will be good).  The way I see it is most towns have something interesting, somewhere nice to eat, somewhere nice to walk nearby, or some kind of event we could attend.

We're going to Wales for a long weekend next month to do some drumming workshops with a bunch of people from the samba band we play with.  Other than that nothing planned for the rest of the year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3892
    edited April 2015
    Russia: Moscow & St. Pete, couchsurfing in July. Always wanted to go, and have some Russian friends who live in London who'll be back home in July. Should be interesting! I'll get the Red Arrow overnight between the two cities. My parents actually met doing that trip in Russia in 1980.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Hoping to do a couple of Europe trips on the motorbike - with any luck northern France and into Belgium over the May half-term and then down to Barcelona (where we're considering relocating to next year, possibly, maybe) over the summer 'proper'.

And then of course I get my busman's holidays - reviewing and/or playing at a bunch of festivals and bike rallies and on-site tech for the International Guitar Foundation festival for a week. There's worse ways to spend a summer :p

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    Loobs;602839" said:
    Russia: Moscow & St. Pete, couchsurfing in July. Always wanted to go, and have some Russian friends who live in London who'll be back home in July. Should be interesting! I'll get the Red Arrow overnight between the two cities. My parents actually met doing that trip in Russia in 1980.
    That's exactly what we did in March. Highly recommended. The train is great. A bit more modern than it used to be these days I guess but still feels very James Bond :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited April 2015
    Can't wait. Did you share a room with strangers on't train?
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Not holidays but the next few months are going to be seriously travel packed for me for work and a quick holiday

Netherlands
    Poland
    Germany
    US
    Spain - Twice, one for a weeks holiday
    Australia
    Singapore

Looking forward to collecting a shedload of Avios courtesy of work (especially as we fly business class) to put towards the main holiday which will likely be around October / November. As me and the mrs are both golfers, we're eyeing up somewhere new and hot for the time of year so thinking about the Domincan Republic (been before, I know it's a bit 3rd world Caribbean but does apparently have the best golf in the Caribbean) or Thailand.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6287
    We have put the boat out a bit this year and are doing a 3 week coastal road trip of California, starting in SF nad ending in San Diego. I dropped on with car hire, and for not much different to the price of a Mondeo, I've hired a Chevrolet Tahoe, which is a great big V8 SUV. Should be a laugh.

Tom - France is a lovely country. I don't understand this perception of Parisians either. I find them fine, especially if you have a do a french.

People talking about Greece and saying its expensive: iof you want similar, tons of history, scenic, heat, try Turkey. Kalkan is a great place. 20 minutes up te coast you've got Patara, which is a massive beach that you get to by going through a 2000 year old ruined city that backs onto sand dunes. Its like something out of Indiana Jones. Dalyan is nice too.
    4 lira to the pound atm too. When I was last there it was about 3,40 to the pound and was pretty cheap then. Very beautiful country and lovely people too.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    Loobs;603023" said:
    Can't wait. Did you share a room with strangers on't train?
    God no! We went for a twin room, so no bunks and no sharing. If you book throught the right page it's really cheap too, you just have to put every line through Google translate.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    It's Cuba for us. In one weeks time actually : can't wait, and we've just been there in December. I absolutely love it though.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1247
    Going to Orlando on 19th August. Can't wait! Sunshine, Universal, Disney, Georges Music, Guitar Center, Sam Ash Music (not necessarily in that order).
    :D
    Link to my trading feedback
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    edited April 2015
    It's Cuba for us. In one weeks time actually : can't wait, and we've just been there in December. I absolutely love it though.
    Seems Cuba is popular on the forum. I've been 3 times, great place, very friendly people and plenty to do. It's also crazy cheap as well and I personally think that Varadero is the best beach in the Caribbean (I know it was something like the 4th or 6th cleanest beach in the world). Sure you will have a great time. 

Haven't been for about 4 years but not to say we wouldn't go back although my only slight reservation is the lack of numerous golf courses. The Varadero golf club is fairly decent but not particularly challenging. We always stay at the Melia Las Americas as it's next to the golf club and green fees are free when you stay there although you pay for a buggy (definitely need it in the sweltering humidity).
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    Off travelling around Japan for 3 weeks with Mrs Burgo and kids in July/August, fast trains, temples and noodles here we come!!!! I like a holiday to be a proper adventure.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    stickyfiddle;603054" said:
    [quote="Loobs;603023"]Can't wait. Did you share a room with strangers on't train?
    God no! We went for a twin room, so no bunks and no sharing. If you book throught the right page it's really cheap too, you just have to put every line through Google translate. [/quote]

Do you remember what the page was?

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the visa? I have a British passport but live in Germany. I assume it'll be the same cost.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    fastboy;603177" said:
    BigBearKris said:

Seems Cuba is popular on the forum. I've been 3 times, great place, very friendly people and plenty to do. It's also crazy cheap as well and I personally think that Varadero is the best beach in the Caribbean (I know it was something like the 4th or 6th cleanest beach in the world). Sure you will have a great time. 

Haven't been for about 4 years but not to say we wouldn't go back although my only slight reservation is the lack of numerous golf courses. The Varadero golf club is fairly decent but not particularly challenging. We always stay at the Melia Las Americas as it's next to the golf club and green fees are free when you stay there although you pay for a buggy (definitely need it in the sweltering humidity).
    I agree, it's one of my favourite carribean destinations.
    Cubans are very nice and friendly people. It's amazing how happy and open can people be in a country that don't have much. They are smiling, always willing to talk - genuine and down to earth. It always makes me bit sad once I'm back to Europe and see sad, troubled faces, yelling at each other over parking space or some other pointless shit...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    edited April 2015
    Where are you going? 

I need to think of exactly where I'd like to go. In fact I know: Australia. But we'd have only two weeks and it's pretty expensive. 

Australia! Yet he could not be bothered to come to The Guitar Show. :P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Lol!! :)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    fastboy;603177" said:
    BigBearKris said:

I agree, it's one of my favourite carribean destinations.
    Cubans are very nice and friendly people. It's amazing how happy and open can people be in a country that don't have much. They are smiling, always willing to talk - genuine and down to earth. It always makes me bit sad once I'm back to Europe and see sad, troubled faces, yelling at each other over parking space or some other pointless shit...
    I spent 2 weeks in Havana, fucking terrible place, dodgy as fuck, lots of good musicians though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    I'm riding to Tuscany.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Yeah, Havana is 'interesting'
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."