Summer holiday 2015

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    Loobs said:
    stickyfiddle;603054" said:
    [quote="Loobs;603023"]Can't wait. Did you share a room with strangers on't train?
    God no! We went for a twin room, so no bunks and no sharing. If you book throught the right page it's really cheap too, you just have to put every line through Google translate. [/quote]

Do you remember what the page was?

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the visa? I have a British passport but live in Germany. I assume it'll be the same cost.
    PM incoming :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    edited April 2015
    jonnyburgo;603767" said:
    BigBearKris said:

fastboy;603177" said:BigBearKris said:

It's Cuba for us. In one weeks time actually : can't wait, and we've just been there in December. I absolutely love it though.

Seems Cuba is popular on the forum. I've been 3 times, great place, very friendly people and plenty to do. It's also crazy cheap as well and I personally think that Varadero is the best beach in the Caribbean (I know it was something like the 4th or 6th cleanest beach in the world). Sure you will have a great time. 

Haven't been for about 4 years but not to say we wouldn't go back although my only slight reservation is the lack of numerous golf courses. The Varadero golf club is fairly decent but not particularly challenging. We always stay at the Melia Las Americas as it's next to the golf club and green fees are free when you stay there although you pay for a buggy (definitely need it in the sweltering humidity).

I agree, it's one of my favourite carribean destinations.

Cubans are very nice and friendly people. It's amazing how happy and open can people be in a country that don't have much. They are smiling, always willing to talk - genuine and down to earth. It always makes me bit sad once I'm back to Europe and see sad, troubled faces, yelling at each other over parking space or some other pointless shit...

I spent 2 weeks in Havana, fucking terrible place, dodgy as fuck, lots of good musicians though.
    Terrible and dodgy? Care to elaborate?

Also - why spend 2 weeks in Havana when You have so many beautiful beaches/ lagoons/mountains around the island?
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Tennessee! (again...I'm addicted)

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    In the interests of having something to DO we're thinking maybe Hollywood. But if we're maybe doing in Oz the year after, would be good to keep costs low and do Italy again, or Venice.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    octatonic said:
    I'm riding to Tuscany.
    Bit hard on the Camel eh!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    In the interests of having something to DO we're thinking maybe Hollywood. But if we're maybe doing in Oz the year after, would be good to keep costs low and do Italy again, or Venice.
    Most of Italy, and especially Venice won't keep the costs down that much....Southern Italy is cheaper apparantley,  I've never been but my brother's been a few times and loved it there, it's on my to visit list.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    I shall be off in my motorhome, in the UK, I have various trips planned and some less so, including a trip to Whitby! 

• SnapSnap Frets: 6287
    a holiday in Hollywood?? We are staying in Santa Monica for a week, and we will have a butchers at West Hollywood and all that. NOt fussed about most of LA, but would like to have a look at a few places, including Laurel Canyon, see if i can find where Slash used to live, and more importanly where Neil Young & Co used to hang out. Obviously I will be getting my vest on and parading round Muscle Beach.......I don't think....
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Never really been into holidays except for a few caravan weekends in the UK. I've never flown or owned a passport either. :-O
    I never went abroad/on holiday until I was 23 or something!
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    I thought LA - and particularly Hollywood - was a bit shit. It's a day or two of entertainment...lots of better places on the coast if you can get out and about.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    We've discounted it - too expensive!! Europe it is (again)
  • Just booked flights and hotel to go and see the last day of the Tour de France in Paris again. It's quite the spectacle, last went in 2005.

£300 for a long weekend in Paris isn't bad, and as long as the places I remember are still open I can eat and drink pretty well without spending a fortune :D

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25493
    jd0272 said:
    Yeah, Havana is 'interesting'
    Indeed.  I got propositioned in a salsa club in Havana - by a bloke.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    edited May 2015
    jonnyburgo;603767" said:
    BigBearKris said:

fastboy;603177" said:BigBearKris said:

It's Cuba for us. In one weeks time actually : can't wait, and we've just been there in December. I absolutely love it though.

Seems Cuba is popular on the forum. I've been 3 times, great place, very friendly people and plenty to do. It's also crazy cheap as well and I personally think that Varadero is the best beach in the Caribbean (I know it was something like the 4th or 6th cleanest beach in the world). Sure you will have a great time. 

Haven't been for about 4 years but not to say we wouldn't go back although my only slight reservation is the lack of numerous golf courses. The Varadero golf club is fairly decent but not particularly challenging. We always stay at the Melia Las Americas as it's next to the golf club and green fees are free when you stay there although you pay for a buggy (definitely need it in the sweltering humidity).

I agree, it's one of my favourite carribean destinations.

Cubans are very nice and friendly people. It's amazing how happy and open can people be in a country that don't have much. They are smiling, always willing to talk - genuine and down to earth. It always makes me bit sad once I'm back to Europe and see sad, troubled faces, yelling at each other over parking space or some other pointless shit...

I spent 2 weeks in Havana, fucking terrible place, dodgy as fuck, lots of good musicians though.
    Terrible and dodgy? Care to elaborate?

Also - why spend 2 weeks in Havana when You have so many beautiful beaches/ lagoons/mountains around the island?
    Well @BigBearKris I figured that I'd stay in Havana as a base as it has so much history and looks like an interesting place, which it is,  an amazingly visual place, it has all the faded grandeur of days gone by, I didn't really want to do the tourist/beach thing although we did have excursions to the beach areas which admittedly were very different.

In Havana, I couldn't walk down the street without being hassled for money or someone trying to hustle me for cash. They just assumed that westerners are an easy mark with a bottomless pit of cash. Plus dead dogs in the street that were there for over a week, festering in the sun and the locals grunting and whistling at my wife. This was in 1999, maybe things have changed now.

Had I spent two weeks on a beach then It would be a different story, but I don't have to go all the way to Cuba to do that.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    The beggars with their books of photographs of people with physical deformities were surreal.

As was going down by the dock yards and seeing a stock pile of steam engines parked up with nay a train track in sight.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DinosauriaDinosauria Frets: 67
    I'm heading off to Barcelona for the Primavera Sound music festival in about 25 days. Soooo excited!!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Dinosauria;618029" said:
    I'm heading off to Barcelona for the Primavera Sound music festival in about 25 days. Soooo excited!!
    Keep yer wits about ya, the street muggers are vicious. Proper gangs of the bastards.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Nowhere, it's not busiest time of the year for me and it's expensive to go anywhere, plus i hate the heat.

That's 3 reasons not to go, more reason to wait until it's quieter, cheaper and more free time, like October/November. 
    OK we're looking at maybe Orlando. Universal Studios (ooooh yeah!). Can take trip to San Fransisco. Added benefit of seeing what the place is like as lots of jobs in that area for me. Hollywood. Sounds pretty good to me.