Moving to Richmond?

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
I've been thinking of moving to the Richmond area for a while. The problem is that prices there have been rising fast and are up about 50% since I started looking a couple of years back. Two bed cottages seem to cost 650-850K currently.

Can anyone suggest somewhere near in that area, near transport, not far from the park/river, that is more affordable but still nice? Budget around 500.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31584
    Stoke on Trent?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    lol not sure my budget stretches that far 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I warn you, living in Richmond is a wallet lightening experience, especially when chandlers is 800m away....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    I warn you, living in Richmond is a wallet lightening experience, especially when chandlers is 800m away....
    I'm more worried about the wallet lightening experience of taking on a monster mortgage (currently mortgage free) tbh
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited April 2015
    Gassage said:

However you do get to learn lots of interesting children's name that you didn't think really existed in society post the Plantagenets ...Oh but you may want to take out insurance against being mown down by a three-wheeler buggy.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Fun fact: I herald from the Plantagenet line.

What the fuck went wrong ... I don't know!!
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Drew_fx said:

Is that the new underground thing? I'm not very London savvy.....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:

Was it King Ethelready The Mysoginor by chance?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Drew_fx said:

You discovered sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Drew_fx said:

Time to stake your claim and offer Wills out for a duel.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1817
    I was thinking that those prices are very high... then twigged that you're not talking about the Richmond in North Yorkshire!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited April 2015
    You'll know a lot of this already but...

In Richmond Borough the expensive bits are Richmond itself 
    -East Sheen (Parkside especially: bonkers prices. If you want a laugh have a look at anything in Sheen listed as 'The Royals'. Pokey little mid Victorian cottages costing the feckin earth) 
    -Barnes (anywhere near the village. Barnes Village is like Toytown anyhow. The land that time forgot. There's a lot of ex-Council properties there too between Barnes and Caseltnau, but probably pricey). 
    -Parts of Kew are very pricey, but then again nearer the A316 there might be something. Hard to tell. Closer to 500K it might well be one of those 'in need of some improvement' jobs. 

I'd have a look at Mortlake. There might- just might- be a something that's still available in your budget there. 

Further afield, there's Ham, although you're only really on the bus lines there. But again, there's mixed housing stock including ex-local authority which means you might find something. 

Teddington's probably OUT, as it's traditionally had some of the highest prices in the country over the last 15 years. Again a taste thing, but it has a 'Toytown' feel to me. 

Whitton and parts of Twickenham are worth a shout. Hampton too. Less so Hampton Wick (pricey). 

Strawberry Hill's okay, but I think prices would be pretty high round there now too. 

Further out down the A316 there's places like Fulwell and Hanworth. A bit further from the river and park, but there might be something. 

And down that way we're talking about places like Staines, parts of which aren't bad, but again getting rather pricey. 

Brentford? Isleworth? 

And then there's the places around the 'Kingston Loop' train line, the Worcester Parks etc, but you're sacrificing proximity to the River. 

Even a Boathouse on the River Thames can cost around £700,000 (one I saw in an estate agent's window yesterday, a place in Hampton Court). 

I am not an estate agent by the way, but as you can gather I am a Richmond resident. I'm also a bloke who, if things continue as they are, cannot under any circumstances imagine how property prices are going to be affordable for my kids' generation in this area unless their parents are related to the Sultan of Brunei. 

What kind of place have you got your eye on? If I see anything I could give you a shout. 
    @Skarloey thanks for the info!

Brentford might be OK if near transport, either Brentford or Kew Bridge perhaps. Mortlake also as it's only a couple of stops to Richmond.

In term of type of place, 500K probably won't stretch to more than a 2 bed 2-up-2-down type cottage I would have thought. End terrace or semi would be nice but these are probably closer to the 1million mark so completely out of the question.

You're right though, property anywhere in London is going to be unaffordable to the next generation and thereafter. It's a disaster really. When I rented a flat in central London just over a year ago, there were parents bringing up kids in studio flats. I guess that is the future.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Tell you what mate, I'll bear this thread in mind and if I see anything I'll post back.

FWIW I used to live in a 2 up 2 down Victorian cottage in Mortlake. Might be worth you paying a visit there as the transport links are fine, you're tight by the River and it's still a bit 'off radar'. Most folks look at Sheen, Kew, Richmond etc.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 488
    transport in brentford is very good, prices are on the up and a bit of a building frenzy going on at the moment with derelict river industrial areas being turn into blocks of apartments.
    but you might be able to find somewhere for a good price
    I live in a 2 bed cottage in Kew. They're around £1m sadly.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4851
    I live in a crap area of London. A two bed Victorian Semi will set you back £500k. No chance in or near Richmond.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28419
    mellowsun said:
    I've been thinking of moving to the Richmond area for a while
    I initially thought that you meant Richmond, Yorkshire until I got to ...
    mellowsun said:
    Two bed cottages seem to cost 650-850K currently.
    I think most 2 bed cottages in Richmond, Yorkshire, at that sort of budget generally come with a stately home in the grounds (which will run to a fair few acres).

Why, oh why, does anyone choose to live in London?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    I like Richmond and the Kew Gardens area.

There is a lot of new properties going up by Kew Bridge, and going towards Brentford.

Chiswick is nice, close to the river, the M4/A4 for Central London and Heathrow, and the North Circular for the M1, has good public transport, but it is also an expensive area for properties. 

Check for properties in the W4 area (Chiswick).

There are some lovely areas in Ealing, but the properties there are likely to be expensive also.

Use www.rightmove.co.uk to search for properties.

When you have found a property, you can enter the street name and postcode in www.googlemaps.com to see a picture of the street and the area. 

Why, oh why, does anyone choose to live in London?
    It's kind of convenient for jobs, arts & culture, transport links. Less so for guitar shops these days though!