Moving to Richmond?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    edited April 2015
    rlw said:
    Gassage said:
    Acton will be the next big thing, buy around there.
    Are you fucking mad? Acton?

Acton is where I am, it has already happened.
    Houses that were under £400k in 2008/2009 are now approaching around £900k.
    It still has a little bit more in it- there are some new developments going in, Waitrose are going in and such.
    I reckon most of the value can be realised now though so we are selling up and moving on.

Had an open house today actually- it went very well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    thomasross20;609531" said:
    I honestly don't know what I'm going to do
    Even in Edinburgh to rent a family house will be between 500-1000 a month, location depending. That's more than the mortgage would be on 250k house, if you have 10%+ for a deposit. Scrape together 25k (or in gas terms, less than 10 PRSi, or 5PRS and a Ford Focus :) and off you go. Edinburgh may be expensive but it's like mini London in terms of escalating prices and demand versus the surrounding areas. It might be worth biting the bullet...if you're not planning kids there are some awesome flats or even penthouses in the city.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    I'd rather buy a detached house in Livingston and get the train in! 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    That's what we did(more or less) but the price rises here are minimal compared to Edinburgh - in other words, once you step off the escalator, it's hard to get back on.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Agree with that! Ah stuff it all!!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8623
    octatonic said:
    rlw said:
    Gassage said:

This is true. The bit I don't understand is how, now that it is so expensive, it can still be overrun with the drunks and strays that I seem to attract every time I visit friends there.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    dindude said:
    octatonic said:
    rlw said:
    Gassage said:

This is true. The bit I don't understand is how, now that it is so expensive, it can still be overrun with the drunks and strays that I seem to attract every time I visit friends there.
    It still has a bit of that- it is disappearing slowly but surely.
    Some of the long term residents are firmly against the idea of gentrification but personally I'd rather live in a safer environment and Acton has certainly become safer.

We just walked home from the tube after being at the theatre tonight and we didn't get raped or mugged even once.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3892
    That's a nice area. I dated one girl in Kingston and another who lived in East Sheen/Roehampton. The latter lived on a council estate. Barnes and Mortlake are both lovely parts of London.
    Axe_meister;609499" said:
    The UK is becoming more like Germany where most people rent.
    Yeah, but I pay €330 a month and live 3km from the centre of the capital, so not exactly.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31584
    Loobs said:
    That's a nice area. I dated one girl in Kingston and another who lived in East Sheen/Roehampton. The latter lived on a council estate. Barnes and Mortlake are both lovely parts of London.
    At the same time? SW Railways weekend roamer tickets would've worked well for you.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2015
    Unfortunately not. Was good having ccgx and Chandler's nearby though.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31584
    Loobs said:
    Unfortunately not. Was good having ccgx and Chandler's nearby though.
    As a local resident, i'd like you define 'good' in this context....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    All the cool kids recognise that Richmond is a little overblown, on the Heathrow flight path and a bit full of itself ;-)

That's why Surbiton is such a gem. Proximity to the river, close to Kingston for shops and restaurants, has a good town centre of its own with micro-brewery, huge range of restaurants, Bushy Park nearby, Hampton Court a stones-throw away, easy access to the A3 and M25 and its 17mins into London on the fast train.

If you want to be near Richmond, then St Margarets might be worth looking into.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    Just saw this. I used to live in Brentford on Brentford Dock. It's getting really silly with all the building work going on there now. There's at least five huge new developments gone up since I moved out three years ago. I suspect it won't stop there as there are still lots of derelict warehouses prime for redevelopment. It's an odd area tbh; it should be quite yuppified because of it's location next to the river and opposite Kew, but it's still very run down and a bit of a chav central. The flight path to Heathrow can also be very intrusive.

On the positive side public transport is very good: SW Trains go straight into Waterloo and Boston Manor tube is reasonably close. The roads do get horrendously busy round there though and the M4, A4 and A406 regularly get gridlocked if there's the smallest accident.

Good music scene round that way, there's three local pubs I know of that run regular gigs. Rat Scabies, Nick Lowe and Micky Moody live in the area too.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6287
    From what I have seen and experienced, if you want to live in a nice part of any major town/city in the UK, you pay a lot. This part of SHeffield is v pricey, and prices have rocketed over the last 10 years. We've been in ours for 12 years this year, and it is now worth about 60--70% more than what we paid (310k). A nice 4 bed detahced will start at 650 ish and easily rise to 800 or 900 plus. Manchester is the same, if not worse, as is Leeds.

If I were the OP living in Enfield, happily, I wouldn't be considering locating to Richmond for a smaller house, costing a load more. I#d put up with the commute.

Thing is, if you can hackit in London, and you stick at it for a good few years and then move out, you will think you have won the lottery with the space and greenery you can move to
    Ive just done the maths on prie paid vs current value, its actually more like 85% more than paid. Mental.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    I honestly don't know what I'm going to do
    It's just a question of prioritising. The deposit on my 3-bed semi was less than you spent on guitars in just a few weeks.

I can't tell you what to do, but what I did was take a £200 guitar and go out and earn £100 a week with it.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    Snap said:
    Ive just done the maths on prie paid vs current value, its actually more like 85% more than paid. Mental.

Don't get me started on increase in house value. I paid £11k for my first house in 1982. It's exactly the same as this one, in the same street.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33429297.html

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    TTony said:

Why, oh why, does anyone choose to live in London?

I'm glad they do. If they didn't, the house prices here would be even worse!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    boogieman said:
    Snap said:

Don't get me started on increase in house value. I paid £11k for my first house in 1982. It's exactly the same as this one, in the same street.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33429297.html

Crazy. Really is. People are always saying that property won#t escalate in price forever, but it just keeps climbing.

Round here, several factors are driving up property, location, schools, proximity to peak district, low crime, etc etc but also we are only a 2 hour train commute to central London now and I know quite a lot of people who do it at least 3 times a week. It can take you that long to drive from our house to central Manchester, which is 40 miles or so away, and about 90 minutes in traffic to central NOttingham, same distance.

HS2 though, I don't see the point of that for Sheffield. Especially when they reckon the stop is going to be at Meadowhall, not the central station. Meadowhall is a good 20 quid cab ride, 20 minute drive from the wealthy part of the city too. Half that to the central station or less. Crackers. Your twenty minute drive could also take you to Chesterfield, which is about 1:45 to London on the train, and the parking is cheaper.