What do you look for in a guitar case?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 3091
    tFB Trader

Welcome...

"A cat" is the answer round here, if a case is open.

Hiscox, had one since the 80s, it was demo'd by a tall gent of generous proportions walking up & down it. Got a newer one too which if anything feels even tougher. Big things though. Your common-or-garden normal hard cases stow more easy in the house, if that's all you need.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    Corvus;619026" said:
    Welcome..."A cat" is the answer...
    You are Ernest Schrödinger and I claim my £5.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5138
    HAL9000 said:
    Corvus;619026" said:
    Welcome..."A cat" is the answer...
    You are Ernest Schrödinger and I claim my £5.
    Are you sure? He didn't say how alive or dead it is... ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    Wally
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    edited May 2015
    I like the Mono cases, very sturdy, comfy straps, the big bouncy boot on the bottom, the 'open while upright' concept. I wouldn't trust a Gibson in one I don't think, but for bolt ons I've changed completely from my previous position...I now think the mono is a considerably better case than the G&G hard case that my strat came in.

For loading in a van I'd still use a hard case I guess.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    Hiscox. Having seen one dropped 20ft onto a concrete floor with no noticeable harm to case or contents they should be fine for all normal usage.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    As above, Hiscox. All those custom makers can't be wrong! A uk company leading the world.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    EricTheWeary;619220" said:
    Hiscox. Having seen one dropped 20ft onto a concrete floor with no noticeable harm to case or contents they should be fine for all normal usage.
    Conversely, one of mine cracked after being knocked on a stair nosing as I walked downstairs one day. Not a particularly severe impact, so I didn't consider it hugely impressive. My inference is that they're very strong if hit in the correct places (the face and rear) but perhaps more vulnerable to oblique impacts. I also dislike the way that some of them allow the guitar to move side to side internally, like the strat one I had for a while.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3844
    underdog said:
    I'm going to be the honest one, it helps if a case looks cool :D
    I'll join you.

Those old white or tweed Fender cases mmm.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    As above, Hiscox. All those custom makers can't be wrong! A uk company leading the world.
    Whilst I am sure the cases deserve all the kudos they get their customer services for new enquiries was like pulling teeth with plastic pliers. I was very surprised how unhelpful they were when contacted about a case for a Jazzmaster. 

but if you dont play a stupid offset it seems the best way to go. 

rant over...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    Hiscox sent me some extra bits of padding FOC when I emailed them to say the case I had was a bit too big for my parlour guitar. So their customer service gets the thumbs up from me.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    HERcox
    My V key is broken
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Corvus said:

Welcome...

Oh yes! Don't they just love it :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7491
    Narnia
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    holnrew said:
    HERcox
    dreaming of ladyboy shemales again?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    My Jaden Rose came in a Hiscox (thankfully Jaden didn't), as did my Lowden, my Maton, my Morganez, and my Nathan Sheppard. Martin ship a lot of guitars in them and loads of touring musicians rely on them. Seriously sturdy. Unless the instrument is over 5,000, in which case Calton are worth the extra money.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Room for a tuner and a couple of leads, possibly a preamp pedal.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited May 2015
    It depends what you are doing with it. 

if you are gigging it then you need a decent hardcase like a Hiscox. If it's going internationally then you want a proper flightcase. If it's just being kept at home then a padded gigbag is probably fine. 
    What he said ^.

In addition, I would check for sturdy locks and spare keys, reinforced corners, plush velvet, compartments to hold accessories, and a snug, versatile interior to hold a Strat, or LP shape guitar, in the event I want to swap guitars without having to buy a new case.

Years ago, I read that if a guitar case cannot support your weight if you jumped on it, then don't buy it.

Think of airline cargo handlers tossing your precious guitar in its case onto a transporter truck, or airport carousel, or accidentally dropping the case from an aircraft cargo hold onto the tarmac, and make an educated judgement whether the case can withstand the shock impact.

The last case I bought was made by Jackson for their Soloist/Dinky range of guitars, with either a normal angled or reverse angled headstock, but it can also hold Superstrats and LP shaped guitars.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 3091
    tFB Trader
    Corvus said:

Welcome...

Oh yes! Don't they just love it :)

Yup! The tom settles in soon one's open.. he kips so hard that when he finally wakes up he looks like Father Jack :) Not quite Schrodingers cat but both alive and wasted at the same time..

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/epi_dot/checkers_case.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    Buy one second-hand, the previous owner may have forgotten to remove their guitar from it.
    :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom