Sweden

Who's been? Friend of mine is there until end of the year so I plan to have a long weekend there - cheap flight and no hotel fee! He's in Gothenberg IIRC.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    I've been.
    It is cold, but nice.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    Nice place, neat, clean well lit city

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Who's been? Friend of mine is there until end of the year so I plan to have a long weekend there - cheap flight and no hotel fee! He's in Gothenberg IIRC.
    I've been, but not to Gothenburg. Stockholm is very nice, lots of things to do, good food. I think Gothenburg is supposed to have a good music scene. Quite dear, alcohol is crazily expensive, but they have places with a good range of beers if that's your thing.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5138
    Was about 30 years ago, but Göteborg is the cleanest city I've ever visited. No litter, and nice flower beds.

Beer isn't cheap, but if I recall correctly you don't drink so not a problem.

Friendly locals if you're blonde! I base this on being a 14 year old with white hair at the time so all the local kids assumed I was Swedish! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Went to Malmo for a day, it's okay, nice people, expensice though.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468

Beer isn't cheap, but if I recall correctly you don't drink so not a problem.

Ding ding - correct! :)

My friend says he's actually pretty bored so I don't know if it's because he's not making the effort or because the town's small etc. Anyway good stuff - will plan a long weekend :) Never travelled so much in my life lol!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I went to Stockholm once. It absolutely pissed down the whole time I was there. What I could see of it peering through the rain looked nice, but shit it was expensive.

Expensive seems to be a recurring theme here..
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    My sister in law worked at the British embassy in Sweden, a lot of my rellies visited her although I never got there. Yes, 'expensive' was the recurring theme. Otherwise I know about IKEA, Volvo, ABBA and Wallander.
    From the pictures the East coast of Scotland - that sticky out bit with Nairn, Peterhead, Aberdeen- looks a lot like some of Sweden. Not so far to get to, cheaper and they serve macaroni pies.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Lol!!! 
    Go on the macaroni pies!!
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4851
    Spent 5 weeks in Stockholm teaching
    Gorgeous city.
    Also a naked woman (model) holding a sign saying slow down in the middle of the road.
    Got invited to Bbq on one of the islands
    Yes the Swedish do like to get their kit of and Sauna together before going skinny dipping. Also once they get to know you they have a very small personal space
    Quite interesting when chatting to a six foot gorgeous blond who's tits are touching your chest and all she is talking about is the weather

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    Expensive seems to be a recurring theme here..
    Especially alcohol.

• martmart Frets: 5213
    I spent a month in Stockholm a few years back. It was March/April and when I arrived the place was covered in snow and ice. Clean it was not - all the cars were so filthy you couldn't even see where the number plate was, let alone read it.

When the snow began to melt, I remember one day some wild reindeer found a patch of bare ground near my window, so they spent the morning there nibbling. Very sweet.

Alcohol was on a two-tier system. There was very weak beer that was easy to buy, but everything else had to be got from an off-licence, but they were few and far between, and strictly controlled. I got the impression it was an experience akin to asking for a loan from a bank.

One thing I got lucky on: I went to Sweden before I'd ever been to Ikea. So I associate lingonberry juice and meatballs with my month in Sweden. So now every time I go to Ikea it takes me back to that happy month. I dread to think what it must be like if you go to Sweden and it just reminds you of Ikea!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28012
    It's weird. Just like Norway, there aren't any ugly people. Of course, in Sweden the effect is somewhat boosted by eugenics, but yeah...surreal.

Beautiful place though.
    <space for hire>
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    I work with somebody who is Swedish, my main claim to fame really as she is married to one of the presenters on Central News.
    She loves IKEA, says it reminds her of Sweden.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.