Memory foam mattresses

What's Hot
SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Don't buy one.  I got one two years ago thinking I would cheat the dust lice.  But it's been making my back progressively worse and just removed the mattress cover and it's covered in blue and grey mould on the bottom half where I don't air it.  Nice.

Think I'II sleep on the plywood tonight instead.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Ew. Grim.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16281
    memory foam means it remembers EVERY chug you ever had Sambers
    tae be or not tae be
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited May 2015

Euw is what I thought.

No, it was clean above the waterline,  It is mainly my calf flesh and feet it seems to be feeding on, where I don't lift the cover up so it can't air off.

Memory Foam, how to produce a piece of industrial foam for hardly any money, then market it to the masses for a huge markup as the latest wonder health product, when in reality it is quite the opposite.  In the middle the foam is starting to break down too, that though probably is due to my crotch.

I'm going back to pocket sprung mattresses.  I'd rather have a few dust lice and a decent back then all the VOC's and the sweat and mould of that horrid foam.

Memory foam is like sleeping wrapped in plastic or tinfoil and this place is cold, around 15C at best.

Tbh, it sounds like you just have the wrong mattress for you. We've got a stiff memory foam one and it's pretty decent. Doesn't fuck up my back like sprung mattresses do.
    edited May 2015

Yeah, but in fairness you probably paid more than £100 for a Queen.  I got mine cheap off Ebay.

The idea of sleeping on foam puts me right off now, a proper mattress can breathe as it's sprung. 

Foam just holds water like a sponge.

Pain in the arse really as it's not only another £200 I wasn't planning on, but the bed is a 1920's art nouveux frame with a fancy headboard and footboard and being 1920's it's only 5'11" long, so I (6'1") have to sleep diagonally on it and any mattress has to be squeezed in.

It's also the reason I can only bed midgets.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sambostar said:

Yeah, but in fairness you probably paid more than £100 for a Queen.  I got mine cheap off Ebay.

The idea of sleeping on foam puts me right off now, a proper mattress can breathe as it's sprung. 

Foam just holds water like a sponge.

Pain in the arse really as it's not only another £200 I wasn't planning on, but the bed is a 1920's art nouveux frame with a fancy headboard and footboard and being 1920's it's only 5'11" long, so I (6'1") have to sleep diagonally on it and any mattress has to be squeezed in.

It's also the reason I can only bed midgets.

6'2" here, married to a midget. She sleeps in a Z shape, and I am being abused.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I've not long got a new mattress, pocket sprung with a built in memory foam topper, 75 quid brand new and the best sleep I have had in years
    Where was that from?  Is it a double?  Where do you even buy matresses these days?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    We had a memory foam for a couple of years. I had a bad back throughout that time. Moved out here and got a stiff sprung mattress and soft, thick top pad and I've been fine ever since.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    We got ours years ago, comfiest bed in the world, will get another when this ones had it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31584
    Use a plastic sheet. It prevents jizz seeping through the matress.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Sambostar;619515" said:
    Yeah, but in fairness you probably paid more than £100 for a Queen.  I got mine cheap off Ebay.The idea of sleeping on foam puts me right off now, a proper mattress can breathe as it's sprung.  Foam just holds water like a sponge.Pain in the arse really as it's not only another £200 I wasn't planning on, but the bed is a 1920's art nouveux frame with a fancy headboard and footboard and being 1920's it's only 5'11" long, so I (6'1") have to sleep diagonally on it and any mattress has to be squeezed in.It's also the reason I can only bed midgets.
    200 quid for a mattress and you wonder why its not great?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015

Yeah but we aren't all investment consulting, stock exchange short sellers with homes in various countries like you @Evilmags. ;)

To me £200 is a lot of money.

Hell, £50 is a lot of money, I'm a tight bastard too.

Sorry that was a bit out of line, I've no idea what you do Evilmags, although I now realise your free capitalism ideals extent to matresses as well, but the fact of the matter is...does anybody know how to make your own mattress for £20.

Where do I even shop for one?

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I've had one for a few years and hate it, it's too hot, it needs regular turning as the foam seems to have lost its memory, it's bloody horrible.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

I love my memory foam mattress - but I did buy a decent one.  Although like Drew I am married to someone who can't sleep in a straight line, instead opting for a right angle.

If you want really cheap then I've got 15 rolls of Rockwool left over you can have for free if you wanna give that a go?!!!

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    Mrs B had a memory foam mattress on her bed when we first met...it killed my back and was far too hot in the summer. When I moved in with her, it got relegated to the spare bed and we've been using my spring one. So much better.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099
    Sambostar said:
    ...a lot of money....

does anybody know how to make your own mattress for £20.
    I think the way to look at this is the cost per night.  And when you break it down like that you can feel a lot better about shelling out a bit for something which, ultimately, has a massive direct effect on your well being and health.  If you don't get a decent night's kip then you will be on Planet Rat. 

Low cost bedding:  here's the thing, in developing countries the incidence of back pain is low compared to here, and the quality of bedding is.... cheaper, more straight-forward, less "orthopaedic springing", more "blanket". 
    Of course there may be confounding factors with the back pain/ cheapo bedding correlation but it makes you think.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31584
    Sambostar said:

Yeah but we aren't all investment consulting, stock exchange short sellers with homes in various countries like you @Evilmags. ;)

To me £200 is a lot of money.

Hell, £50 is a lot of money, I'm a tight bastard too.

Sorry that was a bit out of line, I've no idea what you do Evilmags, although I now realise your free capitalism ideals extent to matresses as well, but the fact of the matter is...does anybody know how to make your own mattress for £20.

Where do I even shop for one?

Consdering yu spend 1/3 of your life in bed, I fail to see the issue with investing well

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah you are all right.  I won't be swayed though. There is one down the local gypo plot, along with a nice club chair I've got my eye on.  The lambs have been jumping up and down on it, but it seems basically OK.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

My liberal tree hugging 'lets not eat daisy the cow' friend had a futon which I once slept on - or at least attempted.

I'd rather be waterboarded than go through that again. Do liberal tree-huggers have some kind of self-flagellation thing going on where they use futons as a penance for once sniffing a beefburger ?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom