Memory foam mattresses

What's Hot

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7054
    I didn't get on with our memory foam mattress. I've also got a selfish sleeping Mrs so went for a standard pocket this time but super kingsize.

It's like a single bed each and no more arguing.

As already said you spend a hell of a lot of time in your bed so buy wisely.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    But I feel like a WAG in at the motor factors.  I'm totally out of my depth.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Matresses can be as pricey as 30,000. My brother in law sells them and says 500 would be the absolute minimum he would reccomend. But that would have a ten year warranty. You can get very heavily discounted ones on Amazon. But at 200 quid don't exepect quality as you wont get it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015

Hmmmpff.  I'II make one meself then. ;)

Or sleep under the stars on a bed of lawn cuttings on the back of my transit.

Or do what I usually do and wait for a very wealthy person, who has spent £30k on a mattress for a spare room that has never been used, change their mind on the colour scheme or layout 3-6 months down the line, as they do and wants to get rid of it, but doesn't want to lower themselves to take it to the dump, nor risk burglars casing their joint, so give it to me, who either keeps it or sells it on Ebay.

And they say the wealth doesn't trickle down!

£30k for something you lie down and fart on?  Are you kidding me?  Is it made by Gucci or something?

You see we are not so dissimilar you and me, we both can't spell mattress.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have never been too fussed about mattresses, always been cheap as poss but a couple of months ago we got this one..

still not huge money but wow what a revelation, the wife snores less and I sleep best I ever have, a real eye opener.
    edited May 2015

I might start keeping an eye on the registered deaths in the local paper, you know, save myself some cash.  I'm sure it's how the house clearers and pickers operate.

'Hello, so surry to her abot tur tragedy in der family der'

'So then, you'll be needing to rid yerself of that there mattress then eh?, Well, it just so happens....'

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16281
    skips
    tae be or not tae be
    To be sure T'be sure?
  • I bought a Silent night memory foam single matress for my guest room and paid £175 so it wasn't cheap.

All the guests have commented how comfy it is and I have slept on it myself a few times and is great.

You do get what you pay for
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The Savoy Hotel uses those 30 grand ones. Never slept there so can't say anything more on them. I got all mine wholesale with no VAT off brother in law. I'm afarid the older you get the more a cheap mattress fucks your back. If spending 700 quid to not be a bent over old person seems expensive then fair enough. A decent one should last at least 10 years plus so your looking at 70 quid a year. Alternatively you could take up pilates...
    I bought a Silent night memory foam single matress for my guest room and paid £175 so it wasn't cheap.

All the guests have commented how comfy it is and I have slept on it myself a few times and is great.

You do get what you pay for
    You're not very worldly are you.  Don't you realise that people pay up to £30k for new mattresses?

The older I get the more my work fucks my back,  you have a fair point not really worth arguing over, although I'd have to give up the fags before I adopted that sensible rationale. 

How much is a night in the Savoy...and how big are their windows?

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Most comfortable bed I ever slept in was a water bed. Supports you perfectly till you get a puncture.
    Cubic metre of water is only 5p, you might be on to something there.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    @Sambostar got it off the bay and yes its a double with free delivery too
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Seems like mould is a common problem on solid foam mattresses.  Also all modern pocket sprung mattresses are pocket sprung with more foam, with foam on top.  My guess is they are way cheaper to make,  a bit of hot melt glue or brush on and some foam.  I want something with steel springs and horse hair in it.  No one seems to make them anymore.

So I've decided to get a secondhand Vi Spring mattress.  My reasoning being that someone else's piss, shit, dust mites and jizz stains are less harmful than the chemical shyte they put into modern mattresses that are fresh from the factory. 

Also my hair loss coincided with getting this mattress.

I will now join mumsnet to discuss in great length.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I could never get a used mattress. Eww.

I sweat a lot, so foam isn't really an option. I got a pocket sprung one off groupon, it's fine as long as I turn it regularly. I did have a Silent Night miracoil one, but it got really noisy and the springs started getting through the top and stabbing me.

My ex was over a foot shorter than me but still took up more room because she was about a foot wider. Of course now I'm used to having a king size all to myself, I dont know how I'll be able to share again. But then getting laid would be nice.
    My V key is broken
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    holnrew said:
    I could never get a used mattress. Eww.

I sweat a lot, so foam isn't really an option. I got a pocket sprung one off groupon, it's fine as long as I turn it regularly. I did have a Silent Night miracoil one, but it got really noisy and the springs started getting through the top and stabbing me.

My ex was over a foot shorter than me but still took up more room because she was about a foot wider. Of course now I'm used to having a king size all to myself, I dont know how I'll be able to share again. But then getting laid would be nice.
    use her bed
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Gassage said:
    Sambostar said:

Yeah but we aren't all investment consulting, stock exchange short sellers with homes in various countries like you @Evilmags. ;)

To me £200 is a lot of money.

Hell, £50 is a lot of money, I'm a tight bastard too.

Sorry that was a bit out of line, I've no idea what you do Evilmags, although I now realise your free capitalism ideals extent to matresses as well, but the fact of the matter is...does anybody know how to make your own mattress for £20.

Where do I even shop for one?

Consdering yu spend 1/3 of your life in bed, I fail to see the issue with investing well

The problem is is that 'a 3rd of your life in bed' stat is based on an average person. It seems logical that a ginge would spend less time in bed than most.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom