I'm getting old - possibly have age related macular degenration

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 17460
So just been to the opticians for my biannual check up.

It all got a bit worrying as I noticed a "Shadow" on one of the retina pics and I noticed the behaviour change in the optician when they saw it too ... and the extra checks they have never done before.   I got really worried at the point she turned off her monitor before turning around to talk to me

But apparently its most likely nothing serious,  I have some wear on my retina that needs checking out properly.   The optician told me its not unusual.... in people over 65!

So at 34 I most likely have Age Related Macular Degeneration.   If this is the final diagnosis I am going to campaign to get the name shortened a bit :)

She recommended I start to get used to wearing sunglasses, I asked if I short get used to walking a dog too ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited May 2015
    Did you mention to her that you work in a brewery? It may have helped her make a quicker alternative diagnosis! 

Best of luck with it though. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17460
    I'm not too worried, although I wish she had got to the point a bit quicker

We did talk about smoking as apparently heavy smoking can be a cause.  I did smoke till a few months ago but  never more than 4 a day so hardly heavy.

She didn't mention drink

She did mention solar damage, possibly from a recent eclipse... I swear i never looked at it ;)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085
    Age Related Macular (Eye) Degeneration

you're ARMED.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Hopefully it's nothing serious and just a physiological anomaly on your eye.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    That's what my mother has, very common in the over 80's!
    Lots of information and support via the macular society.
    As I understand it early diagnosis should mean it's treatable; elderly people often just accept they are losing sight with age and don't get frequent checks so it's too late to treat.
    Hope its all okay :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6515
    Hope catching it early helps you keep it in check, Wez.

Any symptoms before the diagnosis?
    I guess the right eye has been a bit less focused of late.    Its not a real diagnosis yet, its a referral to a consultant to get it checked properly, and if this is the diagnosis it will probably just mean more regular eye tests to monitor for any changes

I am really not that worried, vision is generally still very good.. although i should probably avoid using my right eye as a diagnosis tool for guitar neck straightness... it can't be trusted.

I just found it funny that she added the "age related" bit to the possible diagnosis...  if I do have any macular degeneration I am fairly sure its not due to my age.   

Will wait to see what the consultant says
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25493
    Do you play blues ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Things aren't as bad as I imagined from the thread title. I hope everything goes well.
    My V key is broken
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    They can do all sorts of things with macular degeneration now if they catch it early enough, so the outlook should be hopeful!

My mum has suffered from early onset 'age related' macular degeneration since she was in her early 40's - they couldn't really do anything about it back when she was diagnosed, so she has been registered blind for the past ten years or so with only a tiny bit of blurry eyesight left around the very edges, and it's past the point that modern techniques can do anything for her now.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3095
    My Mum (72) has just lost the sight in one of her eyes, due to ARMD.   

She's having a series of injections directly into the eye to see if it can be reversed, but it's unlikely.   If it's caught in time, there's no reason why the injections shouldn't prevent sight loss.

The injections sound horrific but she assures me that they're really not that bad at all - the medical staff do everything possible to make you comfortable and she genuinely can't feel a thing.

Such a shame for a woman who loved her TV, reading and crafting.

Anyway, @WezV , I'm sure they've caught it early enough for it not to be a major problem for you.  Good luck.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    Fingers crossed that it works out ok Wez.
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    edited May 2015
    RobDavies said:
    My Mum (72) has just lost the sight in one of her eyes, due to ARMD.   

She's having a series of injections directly into the eye to see if it can be reversed, but it's unlikely.   If it's caught in time, there's no reason why the injections shouldn't prevent sight loss.

The injections sound horrific but she assures me that they're really not that bad at all - the medical staff do everything possible to make you comfortable and she genuinely can't feel a thing.

Such a shame for a woman who loved her TV, reading and crafting.

Anyway, @WezV , I'm sure they've caught it early enough for it not to be a major problem for you.  Good luck
    My old dad is going through this ARMD treatment at the moment, the optician picked it up on his eye test. I take him for his monthly hospital appointments. He's 88 & I cringe when they inject directly into his eyeball.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I have two friends with it, both enough to be diagnosed partially sighted. They're both very able-bodied confident people and most people never know that one has 40% vision and the other around 10%.

All the best fella
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Here's wishing you a good outcome from this @WezV. Even if it is potentially nasty they could have caught it quick and saved you hassle. Best wishes
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    Best of Luck Wez, if worse comes to worse you could get your hair braided and learn the piano?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

So apparently there are two types.

Dry ARMD is just general wear or pigment changes, almost like a scaring or  a mole  on the retina, no treatment, but it shouldn't change dramatically either.  Its its solar damage it should be this one and getting used to sunglasses should help prevent further damage. 

Wet ARMD is to to with blood vessels in the eye.  It can happen a lot quicker and cause more loss of sight but is quite treatable if caught early.   It is usually treated with a course of  eye injections which sound horrific but I am sure its not really a small drill bit going right through the middle

So either way, I will probably always have this  fuzzy blur in my right eye and a feeling that my glases are not quite clean enough,  but there is no reason to worry about it getting worse just yet 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    DAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! I wish you'd all stop mentioning the eyeball jab stuff, really makes me queasy every time I read it!

I hope you get it sorted as best as possible, eyesight is so precious. My eyes seem a bit 'weird' these days, I should really go for a check.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    @WezV - I notice you already wear glasses - might be worth going for reactions lenses?  After I had my cataracts done early last year, they advised me to always have reactions lenses.

Anyway, hope all goes well.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Good luck with that mate.
    axisus said:
    DAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! I wish you'd all stop mentioning the eyeball jab stuff, really makes me queasy every time I read it!

I hope you get it sorted as best as possible, eyesight is so precious. My eyes seem a bit 'weird' these days, I should really go for a check.
    Not the worst kind of ball to get injected.....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1