Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Want the Strat tone but do I need a Strat?! Looking at options...

What's Hot
OK, so as the title says...I'm looking to add a new guitar to my collection, specifically to get that Strat tone.  I've never really been a huge fan of the Stratocaster, so am looking at other options.  Thing is, I want a the true tone, so do I really have any other option?

So, here are the two options I'm currently considering...I'm after the HSS config, hence the choices.

A Strat - http://www.fender.com/en-GB/guitars/stratocaster/deluxe-lone-star-stratocaster-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

A Strat/Jaguar hybrid! - http://www.fender.com/en-GB/guitars/jaguar/pawn-shop-jaguarillo-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

Any thoughts?  Any other suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12119

the real single coil sounds are hard to get without a SC. If you are talking about SSH, I assume it's the neck and between pick up sounds you are looking for? What should you mount them on though?

But is it the strat scale length you don't like, or the weight, neck feel? etc?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5117
    If you want the Strat tone... 

You know what 's coming don't you...?

Get a Strat!
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Yep, you're probably right!  I've not been able to play with a Jaguarillo in person yet, but there are a few Youtube vids and it does seem to get close to a decent strat tone...doesn't nail it though.  Loving the look, though, and I know it's incredibly shallow but it's the look of the Strat that puts me off, nothing else!  :\">
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    I'm totally with joe on this one, we'll almost. I love the strat tone and I'd had a couple but didn't get on with them, plus they don't don't sound stratty in my hands just thin and twangy.
  • ^ this!

The key components to the strat tone, in my opinion - scale length (25.5 inch), vibrato bridge, even if it's blocked (I've recently decided the 6 screw bridge DOES sound better than 2 point and has less warble to it, but it's nit picking - I just hate that warble...), classic pickups (get on to oil city if you don't like stock).

• If you want that true strat tone it needs to be 3 single coils all the classic specs and I would stick to the true strat shape. I have an Eric Johnson strat for sale in the classified section . They are one of the best fenders out there
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7512
    edited October 2013
    Found this. No idea about the pickups, but it'll be stratty and very different to a strat, all at once.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=380593826092

The vibrato on it is excellent, but it's not my fave. Loads of people love them though. Quality tuners, thru neck, ebony board... It's a strat shaped guitar that's not a strat, but probably can do stratty sounds. If not, replace the pickups :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10780
    You need a strat. A Fender Stratocaster.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    You need a Tele as Strats are gay.

*runs*
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    viz said:
    You need a strat. A Fender Stratocaster.
    this - and dont forget you dont have to have a full size HB for the bridge.  there are "stacked" options, should you find an SSS that fits the bill
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • mrkj2000;60625" said:
    If you want that true strat tone it needs to be 3 single coils all the classic specs and I would stick to the true strat shape. I have an Eric Johnson strat for sale in the classified section . They are one of the best fenders out there
    Yep, I'm leaning towards the Lone Star in my OP. The humbucker is twin head and it utilises the S1 switch to kill one of the coils and engage single-coil mode. Best of both!
  • Deadman;60639" said:

*runs*
    Already have one! I shared that exact same opinion for years!

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    edited October 2013
    What exactly is it you don't like about strats? If you like the tone, then shouldn't everything else be fairly inconsequential? I know some folks ( @chillidoggy ) are to ham fisted to play them and keep knocking the pickup selector. But other than that, what's not to like. They are gods own guitars

And also IMHO stacked buckers absolutely suck compared to full sized one - here's mine

• vizviz Frets: 10780
    edited October 2013
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    Joe_Easy said:
    Deadman;60639" said:

*runs*

I've had loads of Strats, finally fell out of love with them about two years ago. Why? I just think Teles wee all over them in tone and playability.

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread.
  • Deadman said:
    Joe_Easy said:
    Deadman;60639" said:

*runs*

I've had loads of Strats, finally fell out of love with them about two years ago. Why? I just think Teles wee all over them in tone and playability.

Have a wisdom ;)

• Worth trying to unpick, which kinda strat tone, you really want, early 50's chime, Gilmour, Hendrix, SRV ? before you look at guitars to suit. First none of the two post strats will get you anywhere close (IMHO), especially if you want to have clean tone/ headroom from the guitar itself. Essential ingredients ( and reason for differences) that become important are neck construction/fretboard wood, body wood, bridge, pickups. Teles are lovely , simple ( great for recording) , but they are not as useful live except for certain types of music. A strat is way more versatile live plus a stable trem is part of the strat art/tone. If you want it that in your quiver you don't want a tele.    
  • Deadman;60656" said:

I love and prefer the tele tone, hence why I already own one, but the strat tone is different and as much as I try and almost get close to it with my tele, it's never fully there.
  • andypwudtone;60663" said:
    Worth trying to unpick, which kinda strat tone, you really want, early 50's chime, Gilmour, Hendrix, SRV? 
    All of the above!