Woodworm

What's Hot
SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

I don't have the heating on much, the beetles fly in, a year later I have holes in furniture.  Even chewed into a guitar body I had by the door.

Amazing.  Nature eh.  Oh well, keep treating the holes as I find them.

Thing is they don't seem to like the softwood floor or beams as the moisture content is too low I guess. 

They definitely prefer guitars and hardwoods.

PITFA.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    If you actually have woodworm then get it treated,
    They will eventually make their way into the floor joists and then you have a bigger problem to deal with.
    Woodworm will have a go at soft and hard woods.

I've treated it myself with a boron spray (means taking up loads of floorboards) but the best way I've done it in the past is to call in Rentokil and they can fog the woods, only a couple of boards per room need to come up.

I hope that it is furniture beetle and not Death Watch beetle.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73081
    All God's creatures have a reason to exist and should be treated with kindness and respect.

Except for woodworm, which needs to be exterminated with nasty chemicals and FIRE.

If God didn't want them to die he wouldn't have invented creosote and organophosphates.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    ICBM said:
    All God's creatures have a reason to exist and should be treated with kindness and respect.

Except for woodworm, which needs to be exterminated with nasty chemicals and FIRE.

If God didn't want them to die he wouldn't have invented creosote and organophosphates.
    What about Katie Hopkins?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

I am ever vigilant about checking the joists, loft and floorboards, nothing at all.  Neighbour has bad woodworm in his garage, had it professionally treated twice but still the dust falls, can't get rid of them, but the wood is a lot damper, the softwood here is almost zero moisture content. really baked.

They have specifically gone for the elm legs of my old '30's furniture, which I've just treated and will keep an eye on.  You could say it had it originally and I brought it in, but I went over it with a fine tooth comb and it has been here years.

I think it's a powderpost beetle as opposed to your average woodworm furniture beetle as they seem to prefer open pored, seasoned wood. 

No big deal I think, but seriously its is one of the reasons I won't get a Les Paul.  Seriously.

I am pretty paranoid about beetles.  I saw one outside the other day, cute looking longhorn beetle.  Turned out to be a Rhagium mordax apparently and no threat.

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

See told you he was cute.

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    octatonic said:
    ICBM said:

What about Katie Hopkins?
    Yes please, @Octatonic, but she's married with three kids.