31 Haunting Images of Abandoned Places That Will Give You Goose Bumps

What's Hot
Again some mysterious and thought provoking imagery, the shot of "Sunken Yacht, Antarctica" is bizarrely and hauntingly beautiful and otherworldly IMO, see what you think of these images.

This is what they say on the site about these amazing photographs (the link is below)

"They say that the only permanent thing in the world is change. History books are one way to understand the passage of time, but there are also some real-life monuments that speak of the past in their own ways. While some of these monuments are well taken care of and protected, those that are partially or even completely run-down often are the most interesting.

Here’s a selection of some of the most ghostly abandoned places around the world, every single one of which has its own special charm. Beneath all the dust, rust and cracks, there are stories of people who used to live, pray, or take their daily train rides there, and when you try to imagine these people and their lives, each picture gets a special aura of nostalgia. It’s as if the people in these places just picked up and left.

On the other hand, it’s also fascinating to see how some things that used to belong to people are slowly being reclaimed by nature again. You might also remember Finnish photographer Kai Fagerström and his pictures of how wild animals were taking over abandoned houses in the woods of Finland**. That’s just the natural circle of life and existence – and it sure makes for some awesome shots!

Don’t these pictures just give you goose bumps?"

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 11041
    Wow that was amazing, thanks.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    The Maunsell war forts always give me the creeps when I see them. Brill, ta.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13588
    the communist dome thing............... very eerie  great pic too
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    nice find, I liked the one of the abandoned house in Namibia, with all the sand in.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Awesome.  This is one of those webpages I stumbled across by complete accident a while ago and have been trying to find it again to show the wife.  Thanks, and have a WOW.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 319
    Fantastic photography!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    Beautiful photography, and some very haunting images.

... but the only one that actually gave me goosebumps was the very first one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Maybe after viewing the first one you were all goosebumped out?! :-B
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Haunting photos? How about a lake that kills then petrifies animals where they stand?

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    It's no wonder the badger cull is having to be extended, they've all moved into those abandoned houses!

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Cheers guys, glad you like them, I thought they were pretty cool.
    Deadman said:  The Maunsell war forts always give me the creeps when I see them. Brill, ta.
    They strike me as the invaders from H G Well War of the Worlds, which I read long before seeing any film, so I had my own mental imagery, which these sort of live up to.
    VimFuego said:   nice find, I liked the one of the abandoned house in Namibia, with all the sand in.
    I always wanted to visit, it's a great place for photography, a whole town just abandoned to the dessert.  There is a poetry in the images.
    randomhandclaps said:  Awesome.  This is one of those webpages I stumbled across by complete accident a while ago and have been trying to find it again to show the wife.  Thanks, and have a WOW.
    Cheers, I appreciate that, I hope your wife finds them just as enthralling.
    Your comment does point out that issue of "discoverability" on the web, there is so much interesting stuff out there, it is just finding it.  And where it is emotive, it also needs to be at the right time to make the connection at a personal level.  This one did it for me too.

And thanks to Viz, bertie, paulk, ICBM, and Myranda (that is spooky), for your comments.  Glad you enjoyed it.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Fantastic pictures. I thought I was back in Myst!
  • Great stuff - finally a legitimate use for the "Wow!" button :)

My only complaint is the overuse of HDR in some of them (most noticeable in the Beelitz hospital). I'd rather see the natural light, myself.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think this is a fairly odd photo 

How quickly was it killed and calcified?! It's still standing upright and looking like it was ruffling its feathers to stay warm or cool down... just plain freaky
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    Myranda said:
    Haunting photos? How about a lake that kills then petrifies animals where they stand?

Now *that* is truly creepy.

Myranda said:

How quickly was it killed and calcified?! It's still standing upright and looking like it was ruffling its feathers to stay warm or cool down... just plain freaky
    I would guess it was lying on its back, trying to shake off the water. It probably died in a few seconds if it breathed in any of it, at that level of alkalinity.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I would guess it was lying on its back, trying to shake off the water. It probably died in a few seconds if it breathed in any of it, at that level of alkalinity.
    I thought that, but then how did it get back up on the branch? That's the lake below it so it's vertical in that position. It's either died mid breath (beak open) or as it petrified ligaments/muscles dried out and pulled it into that position. However it still died fast enough that it died standing up, and was then calcified in position before wind could blow it off the branch.

I both want to go and see these places, but clearly it's not a healthy place to be... 
    ICBM said:
    Beautiful photography, and some very haunting images.

... but the only one that actually gave me goosebumps was the very first one.
    I had a similar experience the other day - it was pouring down with rain and I went for a 20-minute walk in it, but the extraordinary thing was that only the first 30 seconds of rain made me get wet - I can only conclude that the rest of the rain was dry. :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    I had a similar experience the other day - it was pouring down with rain and I went for a 20-minute walk in it, but the extraordinary thing was that only the first 30 seconds of rain made me get wet - I can only conclude that the rest of the rain was dry. :)
    Or did you put your umbrella up after 30 seconds?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Myranda said:
    ICBM said:
    I thought that, but then how did it get back up on the branch? That's the lake below it so it's vertical in that position. It's either died mid breath (beak open) or as it petrified ligaments/muscles dried out and pulled it into that position. However it still died fast enough that it died standing up, and was then calcified in position before wind could blow it off the branch.

I both want to go and see these places, but clearly it's not a healthy place to be... 

He says he finds them washed up on the shore and places them upright to photograph them.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    that's a different thing altogether. What it is, water is waterproof, so what happens is that the initial rain creates a waterproof barrier, so rain can't penetrate to the skin.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom