Oil City Pickups - Scrapyard Dog + and Nightfighter Review

What's Hot
ElwoodElwood Frets: 455

I recently got a set of pickups from Ash @ Oil City Pickups. I spoke to Ask about what I wanted and after a few e-mails back and forward he pointed me in the direction of a Scrapyard Dog + and Nightfighter Alnico 8 Custom. I can’t take any credit at this point, kudos is due to Digitalscream for helping me out and first posting about OCP on this here forum.

[IMG]

The Scrapyard Dog + is an asymmetrically wound high output PAF type based around Alnico 5 magnets - designed to have a raw edge and plenty of bite.

The Nightfighter is higher output still and designed for a tight base end while remaining balanced through the mid with a singing high end. The Nighfighter typically comes with Alnico 4 magnets but Ash suggested Alnico 8 to achieve higher output while retaining the finesse the pickup was designed for. In addition to the higher output Nightfighter both pickups were 4 conductor with short triangular legs and short pole pieces to allow the best fit in my Jaden Rose Series 2.

[IMG]

Both pickups were hand wound and I received them a week after paying. The pups were well packaged and clearly marked up. Each came with a letter and detailed instruction on installation (I promptly ignored this and wired them pups in completely wrong, luckily Ash was quick to answer my questions and put me right).

The pickups were well presented, clean and in excellent condition – parts appear high quality and the cabling is excellent.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I am extremely happy with both pickups the balance is good so there is a minimal volume drop between pickups and the coil split allows a nice clean.

The Scrapyard dog is great for a rude blues sound and is great for a warm saturated rock tone. When pushed hard it’s also good for some 80’s metal. The Nightfighter has a nice tight distorted sound and the notes really jump out. I think it would really suit some who plays extremely clean and likes noting more than a bit of legato.

Oil City Pickups have really impressed me: for £105 I got a custom set of humbuckers hand made in the UK (& they come with lifetime warranty). \m/

[IMG]
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    I agree Ash does wind some great stuff and his service is always great. I should build something soon, so I can try out some of these.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11140
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the kind words ... I will keep hopping up and down and championing alnico 8 ... as it gives a set of sounds that are really usable and 'modern' while also being warm and smooth ... as we are all used to from alnico.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I'm also running a scrapyard dog + and nightfighter in my ce22 though with alnico 2 and alnico 4.  I'm very happy with them the split coils are excellent with both pickups and they sound every bit as good as anything I've had from any of the big names over the years.

I'd really like to hear a comparison between alnico 8 and 4 in a nightfighter in the same guitar.  I've been meaning to do sound clips of mine since I got it but haven't had time. 
    tFB Trader
    The original prototype NightFighter alnico 4 is in the LP that goes to rehersals with me every week ... but with a Blitz Spirit in the neck of mine :)
    If one can have favorites amongst ones children ... then the NightFighter bridge must be one of mine. In either magnet format really ... the upped power of the 8 is perhaps a bit over the top for my own style ... but does come back to heel well on the volume knob (when I remember what one of those is).
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• The surface magnetic gauss on A8 is surprising, really quite strong on a par with ceramic. Great sound too. And it's much easier to find now, along with most pickup parts. Looks nice - great job Ash.
    tFB Trader
    The surface magnetic gauss on A8 is surprising, really quite strong on a par with ceramic. Great sound too. And it's much easier to find now, along with most pickup parts. Looks nice - great job Ash.
    I think there's some customer resistance to A8 as there have been a few slightly dodgy outings from the major manufacturers that have been a bit 'meh' ... but it's another option :)

• That's true - a few years ago I was getting custom requests for it, then Duncan did one and people stopped!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Glad you're happy with them - sounds like you've got the same as me except for the "+" bit on the Scrapyard Dog. Two of Jaden's Series 2 guitars with near-identical pickups. Sounds like Ash and Jaden need to talk ;)

I couldn't be happier with mine :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I tried the Duncan Alternative 8 ... and tend to agree with those who say it's a bit 'flat'. Didn't get to pull it apart (always my first reaction :) ) to find out why.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2391
    Sweet :D

Nice guitar, too :)
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I'm considering an alnico 8 from Ash to go in my homebrew tele deluxe when I finally stop pissing about with it. I like that it shouldn't lose clarity at high gain, which is a problem I'm finding with other stuff. Not sure what to do for the neck though.
    tFB Trader
    One great advantage with 8 is that it reacts to all the usual winding 'tricks' like the other alnicos ... so you can wind for clarity and note separation. But It doesn't have the tendency to go all hysterical around the top end like alnico 5 can.
    As for a neck pickup, it depends what you want.
    The Scrapyard Dog Plus (as seen above) will give you all the standard bluesy tones with a bit of bite ... and splits well ... A Blitz Spirit will lean more towards those round clean tones with more mids when driven.
    Just think: 'what do I really want to hear when I flip that switch to neck position ... and under what gain?' Then if you tell me ... chances are I can wind it :)

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    I miss this guitar. It sucks looking back on old posts.