The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I was going to say to watch out for the Nicholls dismissal on What Happens Next but QoS is unwatchable these days.  They need to bring back Tufnell and Barker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    They do know it's not been changed to a T20 game, don't they? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The Baz / Stokes era honeymoon period hasn't lasted long!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Sometimes you just gotta say 'well bowled mate' and be on your way.

Stunning from Boult.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

55-5.

Plus ca change... as they say in Headingley. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    264-6 at stumps though!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Sometimes you just gotta say 'well bowled mate' and be on your way.

Stunning from Boult.
    agree - he did what we wanted to do

But then top marks to JB and Overton - Hope he gets his ton tomorrow - But JB will be chuffed to score a ton on his home pitch - Top marks
    tFB Trader
    Hard luck lad - out for 97 - Still gets a well deserved standing ovation - 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9166
    Another stunning match that could go either way. England need early wickets today. I was surprised to see people saying England are ahead when NZ have a lead to take into the 4th innings, which could easily be 250-300
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:
    many of the Yorkshire clan want to know if there is a refund policy if weather restricts overs bowled
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NorthernGoonerNorthernGooner Frets: 183
    edited June 2022
    That Hawkeye ball tracker eh?  s I've got no issue with the movement off the pitch  it calculates, but when Leach rapped Mitchell on the pad with a top spinner it looked dead out but the tech had the ball bouncing two feet over the stumps which looked all wrong to me. I thought he was stone dead as did the umpire.  o
    tFB Trader
    3 tests on the trot go to the last day - Can't remember that happening for many years - And who says test match cricket is dead and/or should be changed to a 4 day format

Plus good to see us achieving such targets - Many times in the past we've just being nailed and under performed 

To win from 55-6 as well

Going to be a hard call as well for the India match - If Anderson is fit then to drop Overton would be harsh - Yet his key job is as a bowler - Hopefully he'll be back - Other option is to play Overton and rest Broad and have him ready for SA later in the summer
    Crawley a bit lucky to keep his place for the India game - especially with Hameed making a century yesterday.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    That Hawkeye ball tracker eh?  s I've got no issue with the movement off the pitch  it calculates, but when Leach rapped Mitchell on the pad with a top spinner it looked dead out but the tech had the ball bouncing two feet over the stumps which looked all wrong to me. I thought he was stone dead as did the umpire.  o

That's the nature of top spin, be it cricket or tennis. Ball dips, hit the turf, and it bounces. A lot of commentators don't get this. Topspinners don't scuttle through like a backspun flipper or the slider. That LBW referral from Bracewell at TB was a perfect example. Ian Ward and Mark Butcher thought Hawkeye was horribly wrong at TB when it showed the ball bouncing over the stumps. Within two overs, one turned and bounced through the gate at Foakes... and bounced right over the stumps. 

It's even more pronounced if you bowl leg breaks and can bowl a topspun googly and a sidespun googly. One turns more and bounces less. 

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    The mechanics of top spin on a quite high friction cricket pitch compared to a smooth table tennis table is interesting.

in theory, a ball spinning forwards should bounce flatter than one without topspin, or one with backspin, but it is more that (with the length of a cricket pitch, the height that the ball that is thrown upwards) the flight angle for a top spinning bowled ball is steeper than a backwards spinning ball, so when it hits the pitch it then bounces at the higher angle to a backwards spinning ball.

i think 

it would be really good if Hawkeye and the analysts could actually show side on profiles of a top spinning ball and a backwards spinning one 

i used to take more wickets with the forwards / top spinning balls than I ever did with ones I was trying to change direction with
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    sev112 said:
    The mechanics of top spin on a quite high friction cricket pitch compared to a smooth table tennis table is interesting.

in theory, a ball spinning forwards should bounce flatter than one without topspin, or one with backspin, but it is more that (with the length of a cricket pitch, the height that the ball that is thrown upwards) the flight angle for a top spinning bowled ball is steeper than a backwards spinning ball, so when it hits the pitch it then bounces at the higher angle to a backwards spinning ball.

i think 

There's a lot of factors influencing it. Release point of the ball is one. Simon Hughes did a piece in 2005 on Warne's top spinner versus the leg break which very neatly explains it. 

You then have to consider the pitch in question. I played most of my league cricket on a very atypical wicket for this area. It was set in chalkland so drained very quickly. It had pace and bounce. A couple of counties visited there in the days of the Natwest Trophy and rated it as one of the best wickets they'd seen outside of FC level. As a slow bowler, it didn't give you huge amounts of help so you had to be on your game otherwise you'd get carted. Because of the hard nature of the wicket, in dry conditions the conventional back of the hand topspinner really didn't do much because it couldn't bite into the wicket. The topspun googly on the other hand did get some bite and I frequently had people caught in the point area trying to cut. 

On a pitch that had a soft top surface, the conventional topspinner would bite a lot more. My topspun googly got even more though. It would stop in the wicket and the cut back and bounce would surprise a lot of batsmen because it would whistle past their nose. 

Trent Bridge and Headingley were really good exercises in different wickets suiting different spin bowlers. Bracewell at TB got more bounce and turn than Leach because he bowled more into the wicket. Leach by comparison was a bit more 'drop it on the spot'. Headingley was a different matter. Bowling it into the wicket didn't do much for Bracewell. Leach on the other hand had the dip and the bounce. it utterly worked for him. Figuring out what pace and 'style' to bowl is a real art in itself. Some wickets meant I'd bowl with a much higher arm, others way lower going for the sidespin. part of the fun playing multi-day games at youth level was realising that bowling one way worked on day 1 but day 3 was something else. It's that sort of game evolution that makes FC cricket so bloody good. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    edited June 2022 tFB Trader
    I’m going to day 3 at Edgbaston with my cricket crew.

I’ll post the obligatory beer snake photo.

Bonus it is India, as we actually booked tickets for the South Africa test, but they got swapped around. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    Stuart Broad is truly Schrodinger's bowler. He is capable of taking 8-15 but also capable of bowling like a blindfolded man in a spacesuit filled with wasps.

And, Kent fan though I am, Zak Crawley has to go. He may well have that certain something but it's uncertain just now. That said, none of our batsmen are looking like world beaters at the moment in this game. 
  • It was pretty apparent today that the India team were fired up by several pretty ordinary English players
    chirping to the press that they were the future of test cricket and the rest of the world should look out!  :s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom