The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15374
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:
    Going to the test at Edgbaston. Kinda sad not to see Jimmy but I am no expert. Atkinson did well through. Judging from the first test, glad I had tix for day 2!
    Glad you have day 2 - Subject to weather you should get a full day

Just been offered day 4 at Trent bridge at a good price but turned them down based on it will be all over before then 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    crunchman said:
    scrumhalf said:
    What are the odds on Jimmy being called out of retirement later in the summer for one last hurrah?

Will be embarassing for them if he outbowls Woakes in the first test, which is highly likely.  Both of them are probably past their best, but Anderson's best was on a different level to Woakes.  He's also got a much better record overseas so he would make more sense as a mentor to the younger guys on tour.  If you are going to keep one older bowler in to guide the young fast bowlers, Anderson makes more sense.
    Isn't Anderson joining the coaching setup?

Not the same as fielding at mid on and being able to talk the younger bowlers through the game.

It's worth having a veteran in the team alongside the younger bowlers.  I just don't see the sense of it being Woakes rather than Anderson.  If the supposed reason for forcing Anderson to retire is that he won't be there for the next Ashes, then that goes for Woakes as well.  He's already 35, and on top of that, he's not got a good record overseas.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1459
    Is there any reason why it’s a 3 test series?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:
    A 2 match series v Sri Lanka to follow in Aug - Then a one day series v Australia in Sept - Then I suppose a later start due to the T20WC - Add to that, that WI are not the draw now that India or the Aussies are - Hence they share a summer with Sri Lanka 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    rsvmark said:
    A 2 match series v Sri Lanka to follow in Aug - Then a one day series v Australia in Sept - Then I suppose a later start due to the T20WC - Add to that, that WI are not the draw now that India or the Aussies are - Hence they share a summer with Sri Lanka 

It's not like it was in the 80s.  You now have South Africa, Bangladesh, Ireland, and Afghanistan (not sure about Zimbabwe's status at the moment).  If you are playing everyone on a 4 year cycle, there isn't room for many 5 test series, especially with the number of cash grabbing one day tournaments.

They need to split it into 2 divisions with promotion and relegation.  It would be good for the weaker teams to play somebody else on their own level.  Getting thrashed all the time isn't going to win fans in those countries.
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    rsvmark said:

It's not like it was in the 80s.  You now have South Africa, Bangladesh, Ireland, and Afghanistan (not sure about Zimbabwe's status at the moment).  If you are playing everyone on a 4 year cycle, there isn't room for many 5 test series, especially with the number of cash grabbing one day tournaments.

They need to split it into 2 divisions with promotion and relegation.  It would be good for the weaker teams to play somebody else on their own level.  Getting thrashed all the time isn't going to win fans in those countries.
    Plus, apart from the last few days of the last test v WI, there is no Test matches, for around 30 days, during The Hundred 
    tFB Trader
    Glad the IT issue did not stop Woods recording 97.1 mph - His opening delivery of his spell was 96 - Not bad for a warm up 
    tFB Trader
    Chances are that unless there is a collapse by the WI in their 2nd innings, that we’ll see a full day’s play tomorrow and some action on Monday 

Weather should not be an issue 
    Chances are that unless there is a collapse by the WI in their 2nd innings, that we’ll see a full day’s play tomorrow and some action on Monday 

Weather should not be an issue 

Could be a collapse by England.
    tFB Trader
    Glad to see the WI's put a fight up and show some spunk - 3 test matches like Lords would be no good for anyone - Weather going to fine, so let's see England win sometime on Monday - And hopefully the Yorkshire lads put a good partnership together today
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11668
    Well, that was an interesting last session.
    tFB Trader
    Some nice bowling as well by Bashir - On a wicket the pundits were saying offered nothing - He got the ball to talk - Looks an exciting prospect - I always felt it was a pity that Rashid stopped playing red ball cricket for both Yorks and England - But let's hope Bashir continues to prosper 
    scrumhalf said:
    Well, that was an interesting last session.
    Different match, same comment applies.

Woody's bowling after lunch was magnificent, seeing a stump cartwheeling out of the ground is one of the great sights of cricket.

And now we have to wait for a few weeks before the next test whilst a bunch of made-up teams in hideous kit play a stupid competition made for people who don't like the game in a format that nobody else plays.

Root and branch reform my arse.
    edited August 5 tFB Trader
    Sad news - Graham Thorpe has passed away - Age 55 - Stylish batsman - No age at all - Many stylish runs and big scores but recall the win in Pakistan in near dark conditions - RIP
    So, Ben Stokes gets crocked playing that ridiculous version of the game.

Still, as long as the ECB can sell a few more tickets who cares if it ruins the game? Bowing? Fuck it. Bring the boundaries in, make the bats bigger, and remove any semblance of advantage for the bowlers.

How long will test cricket survive outside England, Australia and India?

• Reading the update about Graham Thorpe has really hit me hard today.  What awful news. Completely and utterly gutting. He was clearly very unwell and, despite the best efforts of those around him, his demons got the better of him.  A reminder to us all that depression, and suicide, does not discriminate.  He was my favourite batsman when I was young, and I had a full bag of kookaburra kit to try and emulate him.  I don't know what else to say.  There's always another option, don't suffer in silence.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    So Stokes out for the forthcoming test matches 

So who comes in

Someone like Sam Curran as an all rounder or an extra bowler or batsman and Woakes becomes the all rounder 
    So Stokes out for the forthcoming test matches 

So who comes in

Someone like Sam Curran as an all rounder or an extra bowler or batsman and Woakes becomes the all rounder 

They have said they aren't calling anyone else up.

Either Smith up to 6 with Woakes at 7 as an allrounder, or 4 quick bowlers plus part time spinners.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    New captain, Jimmy Anderson ;)
    Listening to TMS earlier it was John Holder's last Ask The Umpire session. Shame, because it was always entertaining and he "got" what TMS is about, the silliness of some of the questions he was asked didn't bother him.

I hope he has a long and happy retirement and they find someone equally entertaining to carry it in.