SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

guitarist available

What's Hot
ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
edited May 2015 in Personnel

for those of you that don't know me, I'm a very versatile and experienced player looking to join a band

I'm most known as a hard rock / prog rock / metal player, however I play and enjoy many more styles than this

I'm looking to join a band that plays to a very high standard and performs live quite regularly. Style wise I prefer rock / prog / metal, however I'm open to pretty much anything if the songs and band are hitting the spot for me. In the past I've played in bands or done session work in a wide variety of styles [rock, prog, metal, funk, pop, reggae, soul, blues].

I'm looking for a great band that plays great music

Civilians clips [funky pop]
https://soundcloud.com/clarkymusic/hvnsgateclip02

https://soundcloud.com/clarkymusic/crygirlcry-clip

https://soundcloud.com/clarkymusic/clkyshadowsclip04

This is a piece of my own that I wrote and recorded a few years ago
https://soundcloud.com/clarkymusic/talking-to-stone-08

Something a bit heavier and more proggy

https://soundcloud.com/clarkymusic/prime-eight-07

play every note as if it were your first
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4974
    As soon as I win the lottery @Clarky you are on my permanent staff list dude. :D
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    haa… we have a plan..
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited May 2015
    Great clips. Seriously good stuff.
    Is that you singing on "Talking to Stone"? 
    A good mix of styles - really enjoyed all that!!
    Shame you're not in Scotland..!!
    edited May 2015
    Prime8 is unreal!! What time sig is that? Are those programmed drums?
    Great clips. Seriously good stuff.
    Is that you singing on "Talking to Stone"? 
    A good mix of styles - really enjoyed all that!!
    Shame you're not in Scotland..!!

erm... yes... that's me singing...

to be honest, I only sing lead vocal if there's no other choice [because I can rather than because I'm any good at it]

that is apart from the GASFest when XLR8 and I performed Word Up.. but that was for fun..

on a pro situation, I prefer just to sing BV's..

glad you like the song..

Prime8 is unreal!! What time sig is that? Are those programmed drums?

Prime8 is in many time sigs.. mostly prime numbers over 8.. which is where the name comes from..

so there's 5/8, 7/8, 11/8 in there.. the intro is in 17/8..

yup.. I 'moused' in the drums [BFD2]

Nice.
    Time sigs, something I'll probably never get round to. Respect.

Word up - got a clip of that? Love it!

Good luck finding something!

I've only seen a single photo of me and Neil playing Word Up...

time sigs are not as tough as you'd expect.. you just need to handle them in smaller simpler chunks...

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27432
    I was going to ask all sorts of questions - like do you have your own gear including a decent amp, have you had much experience playing in front of large audiences (say 50 people), can you play Stairway - all that important stuff.

But then I realised that the question that's more important than all of those put together is, quite simply,

"Do you wear full-length trousers"?

;)

I can't believe that a man of your talents is actually looking for a band.  They should be a waiting list of applicants for you to consider.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.

answers:

do you have your own gear including a decent amp? yes... and I like really big amps too..

have you had much experience playing in front of large audiences (say 50 people)? yes.. David Cross regularly attracts 50 people..

can you play Stairway? yes

Do you wear full-length trousers? no... my mum won't let me

I can't believe that a man of your talents is actually looking for a band.  They should be a waiting list of applicants for you to consider...
    --- the problem is that I'm not 19 and I'm not interested in world domination.. ah yeah... and I don't want to playing in a function band.. the other prob is that I know what I'm doing and have a pile of experience which may put off some people... and... lmao... most of the audio clips are of me shredding, progging, or funking... thing is.. I want to try something a little different.. although I don't completely know what that is yet.. maybe Royal Blood... maybe Tool.. maybe Alter Bridge.. either way.. I have no clips of me in those styles.. so of course folk don't think I can or want to play them...
    maybe I need to make some new clips..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It took me forever to find a band. Too many 18 year olds wanting to play melodic death metal and wanting to "make it big". 
    I've got the feeling it'll take a while for me too…

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Just a couple of thoughts  (feel free to ignore),   I've joined most bands through word of mouth and finding one member who then knew someone who knew someone else etc.      

Is it worth tapping up your network of muso friends to fill one slot in the band and then go from there.    

Similarly when advertising instead of putting up guitarist available ad's  try separate ad's for a drummer, bassist etc and see who is out there.

If you were in Yorkshire I'd put a band together with you in a couple of hours - there must be people in your neck of the woods who know how good you are.
    edited May 2015
    @John_P all good points matey.. and I agree with all of them
    I've already put out the word to some of my muso friends and they've said they'll let me know if something shows up..
    that said, my lil' network could do with being a lil' bigger

apart from in here and on Facebook, I've not advertised myself as available just yet..
    I've been replying to 'guitarist wanted' ads..
    trouble is.. although I've had audition offers, almost all of the bands so far have turned out to be not what I'm looking for

I don't play with anyone in my neck of the woods.. my muso pals are spread out all over the place…
    I didn't grow up where I live either so I don't have an extended circle of friends here either..

I'm not in a rush..
    I'll keep looking and hopefully I'll find a good solid / capable / talented band..

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    Have you tried your local jam nights? They're a good way of networking with other musos and showing off your playing to others.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited May 2015
    Clarky said:
    I've got the feeling it'll take a while for me too…

I'm right there with you clarky. In the end I stopped looking. 
    Being over 40, playing well and having a bit of a track record can be a handicap in some ways. 
    Most opportunities are either kids, functions or weekend blooze.
     It tends to be the less creative stuff, as well- guys 'our age' (ouch) tend to have their most creative periods behind them. 

If you're interested in doing exciting edgy, new music then you really have to be playing with younger people, and then ageism comes into it- and I refuse to lie about my age just to fit in with some idiots preconception as to when I should hang it up. 
    I did a stint in a couple of bands in my 30's, European touring, glorified session work. 
    The last 5 years has been dead, I've done some producing, the odd session- hence why I got into building, no-one else to rely on.
    "building" ?? What's that?

If I got out of this band I'd focus on recording tracks for more albums (1st one still in production!)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Building guitars. ;)
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited May 2015
    What a shame you dont live closer, you would be perfect for my new project,  and we're not a million miles away in terms of age etc....oh well, I guess i'll just have to keep watching you on tv then :)

interesting thoughts guys…
    I'll keep looking and whilst I'm at it I'll keep writing..
    if I find nothing by the time I've written enough material to gig, then I may just build a new band of my own..

@mychi so what sort of material is your band doing..
    I'm always curious to hear what folk are up to..