Forum Jam - 'Knackered Jack' in Leicester, now with pics

What's Hot
TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
edited June 2015 in Live
Because a few people were saying that it's a bit of a ball-ache to try to trawl through umpteen pages of a thread to find the one bit you're interested in (it is, isn't it?), I thought I'd start a separate discussion about the Leicester bash on June 27.

Another point of discussion was the timing. It's currently booked from 1pm-6pm. That suits some, who'll find it easier to get home from, but not others, who'll find it harder to get to.

When I booked it the other week, the venue, Quad Studios, said that cos it was so far ahead, we could probably rearrange it if needs be.

I don't want to leave this too long, but who would prefer and evening slot and who would prefer an afternoon slot? I live within 30 minutes, so I don't care, tbh, but others who are travelling (@jonnybradford, @not_the_dj, @Alnico, @TTony, @speshul91, to name a few for instance), may have other views.

So as I say, currently 1-6, available to shift - maybe if we did 3-8, perhaps, or 4-9 again? Any views? Or should I just lock it down and if you can go fab, if not, sorry?
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    As your know Saturday daytimes are out for me, but the evenings are ok. Sundays I could make in the day but understand that might no suit others. So if it's a later slot on that Saturday I might be able to do what I did for the Walsall one and turn up for the last couple of hours, but that depends on the times of other things happening on that day (namely taking my kids to see the Vulcan flypast).

Basically if I can make it I will. Having a great time at these jams. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Wish I lived closer so I could take part!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28421
    It's about a 2.5hr trip for me, but maybe 3-8 would cover both the afternoon and early-evening crowds?  Or 2-9 and then people could turn up earlier or stay later depending on their schedules?

I'd be happy to chip in a bit extra towards the hiring cost too, so that might make an extending booking more affordable?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    @not_the_dj - so far, the 3-9 slot is looking good then. I'll give them a call and see if we can get, because it allows the early people to arrive and leave early and the late people to arrive and leave later. If there's crossover between the two, great, if not, hey ho, no one's asking anyone to stay for the entire time if they don't want to.

As for cost, it's 20 quid an hour there, so a 3-9 slot would be £120, and on last night's showing that would mean that it would be £15 each, which for one of these things is a lot (they usually work out at about a fiver each), but £15 for six hours is pretty damn good value for me.

Happy with that?
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Happy with that?
    Yup.
    Good for me.
    @Alnico - fancy working out a bit of a set list for Leicester?

Then I might actually manage to learn (and play) one or two.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Yes that's a great idea. One of the problems we had last weekend was people's unfamiliarity with arrangements etc.
    Give me until this weekend and shoot some ideas here in this thread and we can agree let's say 20 songs that everyone can learn. Even if people just have a good idea of the arrangement and the changes that will help.
    @TTony it would be great to have you there.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I am happy with whatever times suit everyone else. Honestly I couldn't care less so you guys go with whatever slot means the most people can attend.
  • I can manage the mid afternoon to mid evening slot. I may have to push off around 7:30 ish

In jazz, no one can hear you scream
  • TTony said:

The sort of stuff we played in Walsall, was your average pub rock covers band. Rockin in the free world, some ac/dc and Free. that kind of stuff. 

It would probably be worth knocking up some charts for the "set list". If we hang on to them we can use them as a resource for future events.
    In jazz, no one can hear you scream
  • 3-9 is now booked.

For everyone's info, they do teas, coffees, fizzes, choccie, crisps and stuff like that. If you want to byob, you can within reason. They have their own car park off the main drag and some excellent kit, so all you'll need is instruments, pedals and cables (and I'm sure they can lend us some cables too should the need arise). For the public transport minded, the railway station is across town, but the main St Margaret's bus station is only about five minutes walk. If anyone wants to check where it is, the postcode is LE1 3BW.

And I was wrong about the total, too - it's only £16 an hour, so the total is £96 and if we have 8 of us like last time that's £12 each. If anyone's not keen on paying that for having to leave early or only being able to turn up late, I'm sure we can work out something nice and amicable between us all.

It's on. :)
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited June 2015
    Oh, and while I'd normally be happy to put people up (eg @TTony, @Alnico, frinstance), we're having problems with the dog accepting strangers when I'm there, for some reason. So she'll let in carers for the OH when I'm not around without any trouble, but if I'm in, she'll have your legs off. Weird. Not sure what to do about it, tbh. We've had behaviourists in and they're baffled too. :-S

We can normally get her to calm down after about half an hour, but I'd hate to think what she might do if you got up for a quick wee/midnight snack at 3am, so better to be on the safe side, I reckon.

Sorry to be so anti-social.  :\">
  • whassallthisthen....?? I am in Leicester which is probably where my contribution ends :(

seriously though would love to come along.
    @TheOtherDennis is it worth adding the word "forum jam" to the title? 

It might be easy to miss this thinking you're just advertising your own bands gig.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Good point, done.

And all welcome, too.
  • Good point, done.

And all welcome, too.
    excellentio... which room have you booked?
  • No idea, he didn't say.

BTW, do we have any tub thumpers out there who can make it along? Or merely anyone who can thump a tub sufficiently in time for us? Otherwise it might get a bit unsteady...
    TTony said:

The sort of stuff we played in Walsall, was your average pub rock covers band. Rockin in the free world, some ac/dc and Free. that kind of stuff. 

It would probably be worth knocking up some charts for the "set list". If we hang on to them we can use them as a resource for future events.
    Ahhh, but I asked the question because I don't actually play in your average pub rock covers band

;)

If I know what's on the list, then there's a reasonable chance of me learning something sufficiently to stumble my way through it.

Else I'll be playing dumb (very convincingly too).
  • No idea, he didn't say.

BTW, do we have any tub thumpers out there who can make it along? Or merely anyone who can thump a tub sufficiently in time for us? Otherwise it might get a bit unsteady...
    I can give it a bash if given 10 mins to get used to an acoustic kit(have only ever owned electrics) it will be basic beats though, everytime I try to get fancy I lose time.. but looking at your setlist options I practice with some of those so hopefully I can help.