Next Crazy Guitar Paintjob...Decisions, Decisions...

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
edited June 2015 in Guitar
Some of you may recall this little beastie from earlier in the year...

Well, the artist concerned has been busy doing stuff for other local guitarists, like this (seen here about 75% completed):

She's just offered to paint me another (and this one will also be in a local exhibition later in the year), so I'm just wondering what to use as a base.

So far, I'm thinking:
  • Something sub-£150 (ideally sub-£100) - obviously, in this territory, it will most likely be secondhand (unless Harley Benton, etc)
  • Can be rendered nicely playable
  • Eminently Mod-able
  • Maybe set-neck, rather than bolt-on
Other than that, I'm fairly open, spec-wise. If secondhand, this is potentially something I can dig up at Cash Converters, Car Boot Sales, via friends, eBay/Gumtree or even on here*.

Initial thoughts...as she's done two Tele shapes, I'd prefer to move away from that (and also don't fancy a Strat) so...
  • Explorer (Epiphone/Harley Benton?)
  • Les Paul (Vintage/Epiphone?)
  • SG (Vintage/Epiphone?)
  • 335-ish (Washburn/Tanglewood/Epiphone?)

Any other suggestions re. shapes/manufacturers? Don't fancy a Flying V or any overtly pointy/naff Metal stuff.

As for the paintjob, I'm tempted to leave it entirely to her, but once again, all thoughts are welcome! :)

*Obviously, the current paint finish on the guitar is irrelevant (and indeed to some degree the hardware, although something complete/half-decent in that department would be a good start), as it will be completely refinished, so please feel free to  drop me a pm re. any projects you may have languishing in cupboards.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27486
    I vote Explorer, because Explorers are awesome.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    stickyfiddle;654846" said:
    I vote Explorer, because Explorers are awesome.
    It's what I was going to say too, get a HB explorer, set neck, plays fine (i bought one) and it will be an interesting shape to see painted up.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    SGs look superb painted like that - refer Clapton's "Fool" SG.

Plus they make you look cooler, more attractive, play better and ultimately a more rounded human being. Allegedly.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Just sold my beater WI45 to a young lass, who's going to cover it in swarovski crystals. You could've had that..
    I don't know what shape you should use, though. I'm biased against the SG option, because I can't stand the Clapton Fool guitar.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27486
    impmann said: SGs look superb painted like that - refer Clapton's "Fool" SG.

Plus they make you look cooler, more attractive, play better and ultimately a more rounded human being. Allegedly. SGs
    are great, but painted ones are a bit derivative imo. Same for Monterey Pop strats, pretty though they are.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
    impmann;654861" said:
    SGs look superb painted like that - refer Clapton's "Fool" SG.

Plus they make you look cooler, more attractive, play better and ultimately a more rounded human being. Allegedly.

As long as they don't make me play like Eric Clapton, it's OK - I've got more of a Dave Fielding/Edge/Will Sergeant thing going on. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

edited June 2015

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    Maybe not the Axe Victim graphic but it does make a good point. A big semi like a 335 or even a 175 does have the virtue of offering a larger ' canvas' to work with
    edited June 2015
    Same with an Explorer - lots of space to do stuff...

DrBob said:
    Maybe not the Axe Victim graphic

Great album though... :)

HarrySeven;654932" said:
    DrBob said:

Absolutely stunning, only came to it recently, can't believe I didn't know about it for all of these years !

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Or an old school Variax? Something like a V500...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

The Telemaster is another good one for large expanse of uninterrupted wood to paint on
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    There's always plenty of cheap acoustic guitars knocking around..?
    Nooooooo, got to be electric! :)

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I know what you mean :)
    Problem solved! :D

Picked up an Epiphone Gothic Explorer earlier - perfect for the job, apart from a home-made scratchplate and truss-rod cover, hence the request here.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12985
    Not an SG, because then people might think you like Clapton.

Les Paul would be my choice.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6916
    DrBob;654948" said:
    [quote="HarrySeven;654932"]DrBob said:

Absolutely stunning, only came to it recently, can't believe I didn't know about it for all of these years !

[/quote]

New to me. Had a quick spotify - sounds very Bowie like?

Previously known as stevebrum
    Just two words...

Bill Nelson.

Wikipedia (for the uninitiated)

Dreamsville Forum
    (fan stuff)