Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• mikeneticmikenetic Frets: 71
    Cirrus said:
    mikenetic said:

Initially I had a Laney LFR112, but at the time I didn't get on with it, just felt it had quite a high amount of background hiss when running at home levels. 

How odd. I know it's natural to defend the gear one owns and likes, but genuinely mine has no hiss at all. I can hear it if I put my ear right down against the speaker, but I actually keep forgetting to turn mine off because apart from the little green light on the back, there's no way to tell that it's on even though it's right next to my left leg when I sit at my desk.
    Yeah it was odd - maybe I got a duff one. I do seem to have an unfortunate talent for picking out malfunctioning kit. In other respects I thought it was good, and certainly is decent value for money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Just ordered my DT770s so will be here tomorrow. 

As an interesting thought, I've seen that DV Mark do a 50 watt head which is tiny and can be had for around £200. Potential to use it as a power amp like the SD170
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    Jetfire said:

As an interesting thought, I've seen that DV Mark do a 50 watt head which is tiny and can be had for around £200. Potential to use it as a power amp like the SD170
    I guess one of the big pros for that approach is that you'd automatically have a backup preamp option if anything were to break on the Helix. I can see this being a good option for anyone playing live in particular, but I suppose there's also an argument to just play the Helix through your existing amp's FX loop in that case (assuming you have one that's appropriate!).
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 328
    Jetfire said:

I have just A/B’d this exact setup. I have a SD170 and a DV Mark micro 50. I used my Les Paul into a 2x12 with a V30 and G12H 75th anniversary. 

Used a HX stomp with a Greer Lightspeed and Origin Revival Drive compact before it.

I had never put the HX through the DV Mark before but it sounded fantastic. Every bit as good as the SD170, maybe slightly better in fact as it possibly reacted more ‘amp like’ to the two drive pedals.

There are a couple of points to note though. The DV Mark works best if you treat it like a ‘make louder’ device and use an amp model (not just a pre amp) from the HX exactly the same as with the SD. Also the DV is very dark naturally and I have the EQ set so the treble is almost full and the mid just slightly less than that. It sounds superb but doesn’t offer as much adjustable range with the EQ on the amp as the SD does in my set up. This is easily solved by changing the EQ of the amp model you are using, using an EQ block or even adjusting the Global EQ on the HX. One of the things I like about the SD is that it’s really easy to adjust the EQ on the fly when playing into different cabs at rehearsal studios or multi band rigs using the controls on the amp rather than delving into my presets on the stomp.

Anyway the bottom line is that yes the DV Mark works great when used the same way as the SD170 and perhaps slightly better with a few considerations as above.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    Interesting! Were you running into the input, or the FX return on the DV?
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 328
    Interesting! Were you running into the input, or the FX return on the DV?
    Into the input on the front, my DV is one of the older ones without the FX loop
  • I’ve just bought a Helix Floor (my second) and wondered what has changed since they originally launched which is when I had mine? I’ve been using a Fractal AX8 for a couple of years but thought Id give Helix another go as I love the UI. I wasn’t originally blown away but I understand things have developed?
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2465
    I’ve just bought a Helix Floor (my second) and wondered what has changed since they originally launched which is when I had mine? I’ve been using a Fractal AX8 for a couple of years but thought Id give Helix another go as I love the UI. I wasn’t originally blown away but I understand things have developed?
    Update to the latest firmware and have a play. It's a completely different unit than it was at launch. Completely different. And it's going be even better with 2.9. Due soon!

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• I’ve just bought a Helix Floor (my second) and wondered what has changed since they originally launched which is when I had mine? I’ve been using a Fractal AX8 for a couple of years but thought Id give Helix another go as I love the UI. I wasn’t originally blown away but I understand things have developed?
    Update to the latest firmware and have a play. It's a completely different unit than it was at launch. Completely different. And it's going be even better with 2.9. Due soon!
    Ooooh, you big tease you!
  • @rossyamaha ;
    I'm thinking of getting into a HX Stomp; is there anywhere I can hear what each effect sounds like? Replacing a Bitquest (which I love the sounds of) and would like to compare before buying if possible.

Also interested to know if theres any plans for improved polyphonic pitch shifting on the Helix; I understand its a weak point.

AAAND I've heard the Stomp will be getting 8 blocks in version 3.0...?
    @rossyamaha ;
    I'm thinking of getting into a HX Stomp; is there anywhere I can hear what each effect sounds like? Replacing a Bitquest (which I love the sounds of) and would like to compare before buying if possible.

Also interested to know if theres any plans for improved polyphonic pitch shifting on the Helix; I understand its a weak point.

Don't quote me on this (I can't remember) but it may be 8 blocks in 2.9. If not then definitely 3.0. 

As far as pitch shifting goes, there simply is no polyphonic at the moment. We are working on it but it does take time. The team we have on that side is basically one of the best in the industry and you will have most likely had or at least lusted after some of the stuff they have done in the past. 

Trying out the effects? Sure. Just download the free trial of Helix Native. It is Helix so what you hear there is what you will hear out of the box on any HX family product. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    edited April 2020
    Don't quote me on this (I can't remember) but it may be 8 blocks in 2.9. If not then definitely 3.0. 

Blimey - for what I'm using it for (with an amp so no need for amp, cab or IR blocks) it'll be mind blowing having 8 blocks... 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• @rossyamaha ;

As far as pitch shifting goes, there simply is no polyphonic at the moment. We are working on it but it does take time. The team we have on that side is basically one of the best in the industry and you will have most likely had or at least lusted after some of the stuff they have done in the past. 

Trying out the effects? Sure. Just download the free trial of Helix Native. It is Helix so what you hear there is what you will hear out of the box on any HX family product. 
    Nice; thanks @rossyamaha ;
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23150

@colourofsound I downloaded Native early on when released and it didn't wow me. I set up a second L6 account and downloaded it at the start of lockdown to see what was different. A week later I bought a Helix LT. I've been through most of the usual names in plugin amp modelling: the Helix for me is the best out there. The drives and amps have iproved, the delays and reverbs are strong, and really it's only the pitch shifting which is a bit arse. I even like the choruses after years of saying how the M-series pedal modulation sounds were crap. 

Definitely get Native, try it out, and see what you think. 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000

Blimey - for what I'm using it for (with an amp so no need for amp, cab or IR blocks) it'll be mind blowing having 8 blocks... 
    Likewise for me, been considering buying one again anyway but this should seal it if it works well! I want to use one basically as an FX unit in my FX loop but was thinking I could run a DI out of my amp, back to the Stomp and use it as a posh IR loader on a separate path to send to the PA. Hopefully that can be done with the IO available. Means a lot of cables to/from my board but I think its a nicer solution than buying a bigger amp to be heard at gigs!
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 422
    edited April 2020

@colourofsound I downloaded Native early on when released and it didn't wow me. I set up a second L6 account and downloaded it at the start of lockdown to see what was different. A week later I bought a Helix LT. I've been through most of the usual names in plugin amp modelling: the Helix for me is the best out there. The drives and amps have iproved, the delays and reverbs are strong, and really it's only the pitch shifting which is a bit arse. I even like the choruses after years of saying how the M-series pedal modulation sounds were crap. 

Definitely get Native, try it out, and see what you think. 

@Heartfeltdawn Epic mate, yeah I will do - Have to say I did the same on release and was really unimpressed; so keen to try again.

I want to build a board I'll not change again, the Stomp can get me Amp-free for home practice and no-amp wedding gigs, and gives me all the FX when going into my amp. Thats the plan anyway. Would be nice to not have to buy an EHX Pitch Fork etc if I don't need to.

Planned board is here if you fancy a look - whaddya reckon? https://i.imgur.com/HKzSweC.png
    (The Lillian and Supa Puss are place holders - I actually own a Small Stone and InLimbo IIc)

Whilst I'm here - how's the tuner now? I've heard from Jon Cordy on here that the looper isn't really sufficient, so elected to keep the Ditto and oust the Polytune.
    HX Stomp 8 blocks won't be in 2.9. Soz. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4905

DSP usually runs out before filling 6 blocks for me so 8 blocks isn't a massive issue!

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23150
    Tuner seems fine to me. Tested it against ReaTune in Reaper, no issues for me. 

Liking the look of that pedalboard and it makes me think about maybe building one again in the future. 

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    HX Stomp 8 blocks won't be in 2.9. Soz. 
    Boooooo!  your lucky we're on lock down or if be starting a riot in my tiny village....