Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• @Heartfeltdawn ;
    Tried Helix Native. Amp models are impressive it has to be said, but I'm not in love with all the effects. Bitquest just sounds better; more warm more - dare I say it - analog (for a digital pedal)

Tough decision.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2466
    Another heads up. Got 2 live streams next week on the official Line 6 Facebook page at 8pm. 

I’m going through HX Effects. Probably going to use the Badcat for the amp. Been messing around today and it sounds awesome. 

Tuesday I’ll be doing a live how to use lesson and Thursday I’ll be doing a live performance. No idea what I’ll be doing Thursday so tune in for what could be a complete shambles! 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4905

Enjoying the Stomp at the moment, after some issues with my last unit really glad I stayed with the stomp.
    Enjoying the sound through the monitors and pedal board integration (this clip has an ODR-1 in front)

https://youtu.be/uz22s8dOhpg

Enjoying the Stomp at the moment, after some issues with my last unit really glad I stayed with the stomp.
    Enjoying the sound through the monitors and pedal board integration (this clip has an ODR-1 in front)

https://youtu.be/uz22s8dOhpg
    Sounds killer

• @rossyamaha Do you know much about the analog preamp stage in the HX Stomp? Strymon make a big deal about their JFET amp-like preamp blah blah and I wondered how the Stomp compares.

For the record I think both units sound as good as each other; differences are minimal/subjective; just interested as Line 6 don’t really make much noise about the analog side of the Helix
    @rossyamaha Do you know much about the analog preamp stage in the HX Stomp? Strymon make a big deal about their JFET amp-like preamp blah blah and I wondered how the Stomp compares.

For the record I think both units sound as good as each other; differences are minimal/subjective; just interested as Line 6 don’t really make much noise about the analog side of the Helix
    I dont know anything about the input stage beyond its studio grade meaning high quality and quiet. 

A few people have mentioned the Jfet input stage to me and if I’m honest, while I understand jfets can simulate the feel of valves, I would think that putting at the output stage would have made more sense. 

I say this with zero knowledge about this stuff and it’s a completely uneducated statement but kind of makes sense to me. 

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Been experimenting with something I saw recently about high and low cuts. Basic advice seems to be be to defo do them but to do them using a hi/low cut block after your IR/cab rather than on the IR/Cab block itself. The end result of this seems to be you don't need as harsh a cut using a separate block as you do and the results are "better". Seems to work but can't quite work out why. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    edited April 2020
    Jetfire said:
    Been experimenting with something I saw recently about high and low cuts. Basic advice seems to be be to defo do them but to do them using a hi/low cut block after your IR/cab rather than on the IR/Cab block itself. The end result of this seems to be you don't need as harsh a cut using a separate block as you do and the results are "better". Seems to work but can't quite work out why. 
    Sounds like the filters are much steeper on the hi/low cut block - maybe 18db/oct rather than 6 on the cab/ir block, or something like that. I actually think that block's LP is a bit funky - like it's operating at lower frequencies than the number reading would suggest,

Personally, I prefer the IR/ cab filters. I don't want to eq that drastically there.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    What I mean is (sorry if it wasn't clear, I've had the exact right amount of beer)...

If you need to set the IR/Cab LP at say 7k to be happy, but you're as happy setting a separate eq block LP at 12k... you might feel like you're getting the same result with less eq, but I'm not certain that's what's happening.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    @Cirrus that's correct around your last post. I'm going to do some A/Bing 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 149
    Nearly a year in and I am still loving the Stomp, I do on rare occasions need an extra block for a patch, but generally 6 blocks have been fine for everything I do. I think if I had access to more blocks, I would get lost in a world of dual amp parallel FX tweaking and never actually record any music. Never say never though! 

Here are some of my sounds that I recorded for a friend who was also interested in buying a Stomp (he now has one).

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 328
    @IMC1980 that sounds fantastic! Great work. I have had my stomp for 4 months. Used it in line as an fx unit for gigging initially but now there are no gigs for a while I’m beginning to try some recording and setting up cab/amp blocks to go direct to desk at gigs, for in ears initially but also for front of house sound.

I use Marshall type guitar sounds mainly, were you using the stomp cab sims or IRs on those driven guitars? And would you mind me asking which ones? 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    edited April 2020
    @IMC1980 that sounds great! Also interested in knowing what settings/amps/cabs/IRs etc you used as that sounds way better and more Marshally than anything I could get out of it. I had most luck with Placater Dirty and the free Redwirez greenback cab IRs, specifically the M160 cap edge-3in one.
    @IMC1980 that sounds fantastic! Great work. I have had my stomp for 4 months. Used it in line as an fx unit for gigging initially but now there are no gigs for a while I’m beginning to try some recording and setting up cab/amp blocks to go direct to desk at gigs, for in ears initially but also for front of house sound.

I use Marshall type guitar sounds mainly, were you using the stomp cab sims or IRs on those driven guitars? And would you mind me asking which ones? 
    Thanks @mark_jwedge! The patches on that clip are the Redwirez free IRs, left side is the M160 I think and the Right/Lead is the u87 centre at 0 inch. I'll have a look at that patches this evening and confirm.

TTBZ said: @IMC1980 that sounds great! Also interested in knowing what settings/amps/cabs/IRs etc you used as that sounds way better and more Marshally than anything I could get out of it. I had most luck with Placater Dirty and the free Redwirez greenback cab IRs, specifically the M160 cap edge-3in one. Thanks @TTBZ! I used the M160 for the left, I'll post screenshots of the setting etc later on when I get on my PC. Left side amp is the Brt Term bright and the rest are the Placater. Love that amp!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cool probably not a million miles away from what I was using on my presets then! I really liked the Placater, P75 Brt & Badonk for gain, and the Hiwatt for cleaner stuff. Could take or leave the rest tbh!

The new (whenever it arrives) 8 block limit would be very interesting for running stereo amp setups. I think I'll probably end up with a Stomp again soon and want to experiment with using it live though a power amp & cab. I want the versatility of a big multi channel amp (JVM etc) but don't fancy lugging one around.
    TTBZ said:
    Cool probably not a million miles away from what I was using on my presets then! I really liked the Placater, P75 Brt & Badonk for gain, and the Hiwatt for cleaner stuff. Could take or leave the rest tbh!

The new (whenever it arrives) 8 block limit would be very interesting for running stereo amp setups. I think I'll probably end up with a Stomp again soon and want to experiment with using it live though a power amp & cab. I want the versatility of a big multi channel amp (JVM etc) but don't fancy lugging one around.
    Probably, I dialed the Placater in the same way I would have done on my Marshall DSL40C and liked how it sounded so haven't really messed around with it. The left side "Plexi" is based on a video by a guy on YouTube whose channel is called Max Carton Guitars, I think the only change I made was the M160 IR over the U87 as I already used that on my Placater patch. I use either the Placater clean channel or the Fender models for cleans, I think guitar pickups have a lot to do with will or will not work. My clean setting through a friend's guitar was like a heavy crunch!

FWIW I would love a JVM 410, incredible amps!!

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7494
    IMC1980 said:
    TTBZ said:

FWIW I would love a JVM 410, incredible amps!!

I think they're only decent amps at best. The switching delay and noise at high gain let's the down a bit. I'd actually use my jet city as a back up these days rather than my JVM and it's about a third of the price.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I haven't found the switching that laggy or gain too noisy, at least on the 205H. Overdrive orange channel is where it's at for me and the programmable footswitch makes it handy for gigs with the 2 masters etc - that said I could accomplish all that and more on a Stomp with a few snapshots, into a Powerstage 170 or something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Do you need account for image hosting to paste one in a comment?

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    IMC1980 said:
    Do you need account for image hosting to paste one in a comment?

Yes, see here:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54246/how-to-post-pics-imgur#latest