Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 852
    Live show starts at 8 on the line 6 Facebook page folks. If you’re really bored pop over. Something will almost certainly go wrong. 

Setting everything up for this, I’ve actually found hxfx to be much more versatile than I thought. Spare pedalboard build coming soon! 
    Thanks for answering my question on OD pedals HX FX vs in a loop, wasnt sure if I was missing something!
    No problem. You know the weirdest thing about doing those streams is not being able hear what you’re hearing. Pretty freaky. I knew something would go wrong. 
    I can imagine...rather you than me! I enjoyed it though, very useful so thanking you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7494
    Just updated..will wait til tomorrow to try out though when i can plug into my amp...rev purple into FX return should be awesome
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Jota said:
    I skipped 2.81 but not this one.
    There's a few things that might be very handy.

Ditto!

I presume the new models will also be made available to the Pod Go in due course? I'm mulling over potentially making the swap from HX Stomp to the Pod Go but haven't made up my mind yet!

2.90's models are already in POD Go 1.10, except for Distortion > Legendary Drive (which is too big to fit) and Split > Dynamic (which doesn't apply to POD Go's serial routing).
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1108
    Just updated my hxfx and didn't get past the alpaca rouge.

I know new things always sound better but to me this is the most harmonically rich of all of the drives. Lovely and smooth too. 

Well done line 6!
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 794
    relic245 said:
    Just updated my hxfx and didn't get past the alpaca rouge.

I know new things always sound better but to me this is the most harmonically rich of all of the drives. Lovely and smooth too. 

Well done line 6!
    Yep! Its very, very similar to the original if you dial some treble back in
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited April 2020
    I'm not really much of a fiddler - which sometimes makes me question my sanity using the Helix.  

I've just settled on the Michael Brett plexi which seems to cut out all the bottom end muddyness - so I just nicked his plexi crunch model then tweaked it for something approaching a useable SRV tone with a tubescreamer, verb and bit of compression for the cleans.  I'd suggest this as a route to anyone who wants to try their helix through a PA speaker as a monitor (I'm using the yamaha) to get a sensible noise quickly.  It's also not over processed which is nicer to my ears and sits well in the band mix 

I'll probably do the same to get the Lester set up for some classic rock tones.  But there's so much more to the helix that I'd like some advice about different stuff to try otherwise I'm just using it as a Marshall plexi clone

Question 1 - do we favour a crunchy amp with a drive pedal (such as the OCD clone) - I'm looking for AC/DC rhythm through to a modern "lizzy" style lead tone with oodles of sustain - that's what I'm tempted to do - the issue with the Helix is that there's too much choice!!  - so suggestions for this sort of set up would be fab please

Question 2 - are there any other amps (and suggested settings) that we really like so that I can fiddle more?  Again for live use rather than headphone/recording levels of processing.  Something fendery perhaps.  I like loads of guitarist tones - so anything from early jeff beck, or al di meola (elegant gypsy) through to Santana - I'm currently on a mission to get more "blues vocabulary and songs" so will spend this year just learning songs and solos...........

Question 3 - anyone had any success with setting up some of the Mesa clones which seem to combine fendery cleans with marshall leads - which is an interesting proposition

anyway just after some pointers for a day's fiddling...I'm not after tone matching exactly (certainly not like Jason Sadites who tries his damndest to match a recorded sound)...just good sounds kinda ballparky 

You are all most kind

• JotaJota Frets: 466
    Try the Litigator for some Fendery cleans with the gain down and Marshally drives with the gin pushed.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23156
    Jota said:
    Try the Litigator for some Fendery cleans with the gain down and Marshally drives with the gin pushed.

Gin always makes things sound better. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    Just turned on and connected my HX Stomp (after not using it for months), and it's no longer recognised by the PC. Tried a factory reset, the same cable my Kemper uses, different ports etc. but nothing works. The PC doesn't even show it as a connected device.

Have raised a support ticket, but has anyone else had this issue?
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23156
    FarleyUK said:
    Just turned on and connected my HX Stomp (after not using it for months), and it's no longer recognised by the PC. Tried a factory reset, the same cable my Kemper uses, different ports etc. but nothing works. The PC doesn't even show it as a connected device.

Perhaps download latest version of HX Edit first, install that and see what happens? 

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    FarleyUK said:

Perhaps download latest version of HX Edit first, install that and see what happens? 
    That's got it - thank you!
  • nickp said:
    I'm not really much of a fiddler - which sometimes makes me question my sanity using the Helix.  

I've just settled on the Michael Brett plexi which seems to cut out all the bottom end muddyness - so I just nicked his plexi crunch model then tweaked it for something approaching a useable SRV tone with a tubescreamer, verb and bit of compression for the cleans.  I'd suggest this as a route to anyone who wants to try their helix through a PA speaker as a monitor (I'm using the yamaha) to get a sensible noise quickly.  It's also not over processed which is nicer to my ears and sits well in the band mix 

I'll probably do the same to get the Lester set up for some classic rock tones.  But there's so much more to the helix that I'd like some advice about different stuff to try otherwise I'm just using it as a Marshall plexi clone

Question 1 - do we favour a crunchy amp with a drive pedal (such as the OCD clone) - I'm looking for AC/DC rhythm through to a modern "lizzy" style lead tone with oodles of sustain - that's what I'm tempted to do - the issue with the Helix is that there's too much choice!!  - so suggestions for this sort of set up would be fab please

Question 2 - are there any other amps (and suggested settings) that we really like so that I can fiddle more?  Again for live use rather than headphone/recording levels of processing.  Something fendery perhaps.  I like loads of guitarist tones - so anything from early jeff beck, or al di meola (elegant gypsy) through to Santana - I'm currently on a mission to get more "blues vocabulary and songs" so will spend this year just learning songs and solos...........

Question 3 - anyone had any success with setting up some of the Mesa clones which seem to combine fendery cleans with marshall leads - which is an interesting proposition

anyway just after some pointers for a day's fiddling...I'm not after tone matching exactly (certainly not like Jason Sadites who tries his damndest to match a recorded sound)...just good sounds kinda ballparky 

You are all most kind

I think the trick, and one of the more powerful things on all the digital stuff, is the snapshots.

I use a comp  tubescreasmer dual rec model eq and reverb for everything, at the mo.

Clean is comp on, gain to zero different eq and sag settings eq brightens things up.
    Crunch is comp off drive up eq etc.
    Metal rhythm adds tubescreamer and changes eq.
    Lead different eq settings and sag adding verb.
    I've even got a snapshot to help balance out the eq with my neck humbucker with distortion.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7494
    So sneaked in half an hour in between conf calls. The revv purple is excellent, was running it straight into an FX return as a preamp and it is easily useable. I expect thsi might breathe new life into some old amps even.

Also tried out the Xenomorph fuzz which was pretty entertainingly mental. Need to find a sensible sue for it now.

Also while I was there fiddled with one of my existing whammy lead patches and made a big improvement by whacking one fo the other fuzz models (think it was Tycoctavia) after the pitch effect.

Waiting for a midi cable to arrive to have another attempt at 4CM with the metering features. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    edited April 2020
    Alpaca Rouge = Red Llama
    Pebble Phaser =Small Stone phaser

is it me or does these alternative names remind you of shopping in Lidl

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    All was working fine yesteray after the update. Today the tuner doesn't work...
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4851
    My impressions. Something has happened to the speaker sims on the factory presets, they all sound fizzy.
    How do you use output meters, can't find them anywhere?

Jota said:

Also, I can only go to the tuner screen if I have the USB connected! If USB is disconnected I can't even go to the tuner screen!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13367
    @nickp I am a big fan of the "US Small Tweed" amp model, which I tend to run with the gain very low and then push with either modelled pedals or "real" drive pedals (I'm using a stomp with some added analogue pedals). Sounds great to me. 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    tuner is working on my HX effects
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1009
    Jota said:
    The tuner never works with Helix!!