What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    edited June 2020
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    TTBZ said:
    Voxman said:
    I'm going to buy a Pod Go which has the same amp models currently* as Helix (*albeit it's unlikely to get new ones that Helix will get).
    What makes you say this, has it been hinted at by Line 6 somewhere or just speculation due to a possibly more limited DSP etc? I'm very interested in the Go but this would put me off a bit, part of the fun of the Stomp was updating to a new firmware to get new toys to play with!
    This question was asked on the Line 6 forum and although the response appeared to be a little cryptic, as I recall the suggestion was that Pod Go may not necessarily get the same amp upgrades as Helix which is of course their flagship. I'm unclear what the ultimate stance by Line 6 might be here and whether there are processing considerations here also. I'll try and find the thread and report back more accurately on exactly the question asked and the answer given. 

But there are so many amp models already in Pod Go that you arguably already have some option paralysis in a unit aimed at those who need a simpler solution!!  
    OK, found the post. When asked about updates on Pod Go, Line 6 (Digital Igloo) said: 

"We can't talk about future plans, but I'll put it this way:

• If POD Go is your first Line 6 multieffects in a decade, you'll probably be happy
    • If you've downgraded from Helix/HX or pay close attention to Helix/HX updates, you may be disappointed"
    Which suggested Pod Go would be less likely to get upgrades that Helix would get. 
    Fair enough, makes sense. Could also just be on about the pitch shifting stuff which has been "on its way" for a while I think - if the DSP is less powerful I imagine it might struggle with any serious poly pitch shifting stuff. Anyway been watching some more Pod Go videos and seems like a better fit for me than another Stomp, can't wait til I can get one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @rossyamaha Random question - can you route the tuner’s input to be from the return rather than the main inputs on the Stomp? I don’t think you can but just in case I’ve missed it...
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2466
    @rossyamaha Random question - can you route the tuner’s input to be from the return rather than the main inputs on the Stomp? I don’t think you can but just in case I’ve missed it...
    You can on full Helix but not on the Stomp unfortunately. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• @rossyamaha Random question - can you route the tuner’s input to be from the return rather than the main inputs on the Stomp? I don’t think you can but just in case I’ve missed it...
    That is a shame. Is this a hardware limitation? If not, consider it a feature request!
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2466
    @rossyamaha Random question - can you route the tuner’s input to be from the return rather than the main inputs on the Stomp? I don’t think you can but just in case I’ve missed it...
    That is a shame. Is this a hardware limitation? If not, consider it a feature request!
    Great question which I don’t know the answer to I’m afraid. If you want to formally request it, go here...

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/index

that way people will see it, vote it and it’s more likely to get done (if possible to do so). Some of the really cool stuff comes from this. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4960
    edited June 2020
    @TTBZ ;'re pitch shift Digital Igloo on the Line 6 forum said that:

"Unfortunately, POD Go's semi-fixed DSP allocation wouldn't allow for hardcore polyphonic pitch algorithms. Helix/HX could, but it'd likely take up half of a single DSP (1/2 of HX Effects/Stomp or 1/4 of Helix)."

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    Well I’ve dived in and bought an LT. After a few hours with it yesterday I’m already blown away with the sound quality of this thing, it’s head and shoulders above the M13 I had in the past. And that’s just using the factory presets, which sound overcooked initially but improved with some tweaking. (I know this is standard fare for a multiFX but why do manufacturers feel they have to throw the kitchen sink at their presets?) There’s some paid-for patches that the previous owner had installed that sound way better. 

I’m going to get some powered monitors at some point, but what headphones work well with the Helix? I could do with getting some better ones. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13367
    Beyerdynamic DT 770 are very popular for Helix. I personally prefer the DT 990. About £100. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 643
    Just to muddy the waters,  I have the Beyerdynamic DT880's which sound great and are very comfortable. I went for the lower ohms version to use with multiple devices and they sound good with the HX Stomp too.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I'm happy with the 80ohm DT770 with my helix
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2256
    So, is anyone looking to sell their HX Stomp in favour of the POD Go? 

Line 6 have deffinately confused the lineup now, if that was their intention. The POD will be relevant to 90% of Helix users I suspect, who don't use the full Helix capabilities. There is no doubt the Go offers great value and a portable all-in-one gigging solution. If you can't get the sounds you want from what's available in the Pod, maybe you should take up another hobby. 

On the flip side, I'm a bit gutted at how I can see for the first time, how this digital tech is going to consume how guitar is gigged in the future. I really like amps and pedals, but in 5 years from now, will people look at you as if you're a weirdo, if you turn up with a real amp for your gig? That Pedal Show is going to become, That Patch and IR Show. Sad times! 

It's great on one hand that all these studios quality tones are so accessible now, but where's the secret sauce? Listen to any band from a bygone era and they talk about how they recorded in some random room, in a random location to get that special tone for the song or solo that can never be replicated.... now it's, I recorded it in my bedroom and sent the file to a bloke to manipulate. I do hope Dave Ghrol is right and music moves back to being imperfect analog again, but then again, when that method is so expensive to do and recorded music is losing its profitability, maybe moving everything to digital, even our instruments, is inevitable. 

I have a HX Stomp and think it's a great piece of kit, however I'm not even scratching the surface of its capabilities. I think the digital pedals arem't that great, but the amps sound good, although never as if your amp is in front of you. 

However I can great better tones from two decent amps and some real pedals than I could ever get from the Stomp. But maybe that's more to do with me. 

Anyway, I'm refusing the digital movement. I'll be the annoying guy in 5 years that still needs to be mic'd, plays too loud, has a pedal board that takes up half the stage and refuses in ear monitors. Pub gigs will be the only analog sanctuary left, if any of them remain open after this. 

Line6, I hate you for being so good! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    Barnezy said:
    So, is anyone looking to sell their HX Stomp in favour of the POD Go? 

Line 6 have deffinately confused the lineup now, if that was their intention. The POD will be relevant to 90% of Helix users I suspect, who don't use the full Helix capabilities. There is no doubt the Go offers great value and a portable all-in-one gigging solution. If you can't get the sounds you want from what's available in the Pod, maybe you should take up another hobby. 

On the flip side, I'm a bit gutted at how I can see for the first time, how this digital tech is going to consume how guitar is gigged in the future. I really like amps and pedals, but in 5 years from now, will people look at you as if you're a weirdo, if you turn up with a real amp for your gig? That Pedal Show is going to become, That Patch and IR Show. Sad times! 

It's great on one hand that all these studios quality tones are so accessible now, but where's the secret sauce? Listen to any band from a bygone era and they talk about how they recorded in some random room, in a random location to get that special tone for the song or solo that can never be replicated.... now it's, I recorded it in my bedroom and sent the file to a bloke to manipulate. I do hope Dave Ghrol is right and music moves back to being imperfect analog again, but then again, when that method is so expensive to do and recorded music is losing its profitability, maybe moving everything to digital, even our instruments, is inevitable. 

I have a HX Stomp and think it's a great piece of kit, however I'm not even scratching the surface of its capabilities. I think the digital pedals arem't that great, but the amps sound good, although never as if your amp is in front of you. 

However I can great better tones from two decent amps and some real pedals than I could ever get from the Stomp. But maybe that's more to do with me. 

Anyway, I'm refusing the digital movement. I'll be the annoying guy in 5 years that still needs to be mic'd, plays too loud, has a pedal board that takes up half the stage and refuses in ear monitors. Pub gigs will be the only analog sanctuary left, if any of them remain open after this. 

Line6, I hate you for being so good! 
    Have you seen the artist/YouTuber "look mum no computer" ? *
    Makes his own mad analogue synths and a massive modular synth. He plays it all live using sequencers and such. 
    Lugs half a ton of analogue gear to a gig. 

He's very entertaining and a good musician and in the same anti digital camp as you ! 

*Though does understand the irony or not using a computer to be in YouTube

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23162
    boogieman said:
    Well I’ve dived in and bought an LT. After a few hours with it yesterday I’m already blown away with the sound quality of this thing, it’s head and shoulders above the M13 I had in the past. And that’s just using the factory presets, which sound overcooked initially but improved with some tweaking. (I know this is standard fare for a multiFX but why do manufacturers feel they have to throw the kitchen sink at their presets?) There’s some paid-for patches that the previous owner had installed that sound way better. 

I’m going to get some powered monitors at some point, but what headphones work well with the Helix? I could do with getting some better ones. 
    Exactly how I feel about my LT and Helix Native. 

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3798
    I don't think that 5 years from now the world will be entirely digital however, if it is;
    Barnezy said:

Anyway, I'm refusing the digital movement. I'll be the annoying guy in 5 years that still needs to be mic'd, plays too loud, has a pedal board and no longer has a stage and refuses in ear monitors.
    FTFY =)
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    I think once all venues go to TV volume levels we'll have to go to digital drums... then there's no point in conventional amps. I'm still using an amp to gig but the Stomp has got me thinking about the future and how I could do without one. We still use monitors so it wouldn't be difficult to do. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3798
    I think once all venues go to TV volume levels we'll have to go to digital drums
    This I can see, although only for a certain number of venues.

Silent Discos have been popping up in recent years.  Whether this will be a short term fad or something more permanent - it is probably too early to say.  The big advantage is that you can host events in locations where live music would not be allowed.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    This has probably been asked a bunch of times, but what powered cabs are people using for the Helix live?

The Matrix stuff looks good but a bit spendy. Are the Alto or Headrush things any good?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Laney FRFR is good.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2256
    Predictions on when acoustic guitars will be considered too loud and we all need to play Yamaha Silent Guitars through a PA? 

Hang on a second.... Yamaha own Line6.... they make silent guitars, amps that sound good at low volume (THR) and are digitising amps to replace real ones! 

Clearly Yamaha hates music and is trying to slowly suck the soul and fun out of it!

It's like Pearl Harbour all over again, only this time they are attacking the loudness of American gear, instead of their boats. 

When is Ben Aflek going to step in and save the day? 

Yamaha... I hate you! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4266
    Bidley said:
    This has probably been asked a bunch of times, but what powered cabs are people using for the Helix live?

The Matrix stuff looks good but a bit spendy. Are the Alto or Headrush things any good?
    Atomic CLR, the best I have ever used, why penny pinch ?