Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Check it out. He knows what hes about to inflict on us....1:19;54...
    On man.
    But i do like him ;)
    I like him in the same way I like one of those pissed up tramps who gets on a train and collapses in a chair stinking of Special Brew and urine produced at dawn. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Heartfeltdawn;835367" said:
    Drew_fx said:

Moltisanti said:

in his defence falling out with the Axe FX mob is not difficult, they get sand in their manginas almost as fast as the Ernie Ball forum guys

According to Cliff, Mr. McKenzie was squatting Fractalaudio.co.uk and Fractalaudio.eu which is apparently illegal, and when they asked him to desist, he demanded money.

After that, Tony went all "I hate Fractal" ... well of course he does... they wouldn't cough up the ransom!!

It wasn't just Fractal. Here's a few others and some of his spam sites. 

http://www.englamps.co.uk/index.html

http://www.splawnamps.co.uk/index-3.html

http://www.richieblackmore.com/

http://www.vintagevibeamps.com/

http://www.customshopguitar.com/

I remember other ones associated with him as well. DomainIQ reports that tonymckenzie@com is associated with 193 associated domains.

His Helix review was as expected. Far too much of him talking, thankfully very little playing as he is truly godawful. At least the Tone King has some humility to go with his shitty playing. 
    Will be a nice bill to renew all those every year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    guitargeek62;834955" said:
    lewisjenkins said:

I haven't got time to write a full review right now, but I've had mine for 5 days and it's amazing. I previously held on to a few of my special pedals 'just in case' but the Helix has surpassed them so they're ALL up for sale.  I haven't gone as deep as @guitargeek62 but let's just say it's so easy to create and edit patches that I haven't even read the manual. My guitar tone sounds so much more alive than it did when I had a chain of pedals, and I'm hearing harmonics and clarity that wasn't there previously.  My favourite patch right now is a Hiway 100 amp / cab combo with a Muff and some delay / reverb. It's a kind of Gimour-like tone I've spent months trying to get with pedals, and never succeeded until now. I'm so happy with it, and most importantly I'm playing music with it and getting song ideas and inspiration, so it's worth every penny.  By the way, I've had multiFX units in the past (Boss GT's, Pod HD 500X) and they are not even in the same league as this. It doesn't feel like a multieffects unit, it feels more like a bunch of cool pedals and amps that are easy to tweak and save for future use. It's seriously amazing, and everyone should buy one, even if only to try for 30 days before returning - because you WON'T return it :)

Completely agree with all of this, highlighted points in particular. I'm dialling in tones that I've been struggling to reach for quite some time.  I've not had a multi of the "last" generation, but I've been through a fair few (Boss, Line 6 XT's, TC, Digitech, Zoom G3, etc) and none of them feel as easy as this - the M series had a good interface, but this is easily a step above them. Paul - afraid I don't have one to play through it atm, I can run the whammy a -1 octave into a bass rig though if that's any use?! Or if you're in/near London you're more than welcome to bring one over and play.
    I'd love to come and play but alas I'm waiting for hernia repair surgery at the mo. couldn't carry a bass anywhere.

Maybe after Xmas if I haven't just given in and ordered one!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Is it any good I couldn't be arsed to read the 18 page 247 new threads update.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Order placed. Hopefully it will be with me tomorrow.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    How does it compare to the Axe-fx soundwise?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Not long back from seeing Paul Hindmarsh demo the Helix in Dawsons. Sounds fantastic. I reckon come Christmas I'll be flogging my HD500X and ordering a Helix!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired;836188" said:
    How does it compare to the Axe-fx soundwise?
    Couldn't tell you from experience, there's some good clips online though.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Not long back from seeing Paul Hindmarsh demo the Helix in Dawsons. Sounds fantastic. I reckon come Christmas I'll be flogging my HD500X and ordering a Helix!
    I'd sell the HD500X sooner than later .. second-hand prices will plummett.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Heartfeltdawn;835367" said:
    I remember other ones associated with him as well. DomainIQ reports that tonymckenzie@com is associated with 193 associated domains.
    This guy needs to be sued into oblivion.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Heartfeltdawn;835369" said:
    Aidanspaghetti said:

Check it out. He knows what hes about to inflict on us....1:19;54...On man.But i do like him ;)

I like him in the same way I like one of those pissed up tramps who gets on a train and collapses in a chair stinking of Special Brew and urine produced at dawn. 
    I have a theory that there's a kind of event horizon of weirdness.

Like, if you meet someone just similar to you or everyone else in most ways, but with some 'wrong' opinion it's easy to hate them. If someone's just beyond the pale, on the other hand they're 'a character' and the brain just accepts that it's not worth arguing with
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4263
    Loving mine, it has an almost 3D quality to the sound, I did get an annoying whistle and interference at first, but a bit of cable swapping narrowed it down to it not liking being connected to my keyboard on a USB hub
  • Looks like Line 6 are about to release a firmware update.
  • Will be interesting to see what get's changed - I assume it'll be a minor 0.0.0.0.1 type update.
  • Will be interesting to see what get's changed - I assume it'll be a minor 0.0.0.0.1 type update.
    I think some of the guys on TGP are expecting the firmware update to bring an end to all poverty and to herald an era of worldwide peace... either that or a few new cabs.
    :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Digital_IglooDigital_Igloo Frets: 380
    edited October 2015
    1. The interface is good, but could be slightly more flexible - I don't think you can instantly move a block from Signal path A, to B for instance; only from a mono to stereo path within the same path. Someone can correct me on this if I'm doing it wrong?!
    2. No PC/Mac/iOS editor available yet - could be very useful at a later date.
    3. Quite a few time/mod effects don't offer tap-tempo control (yet)
    4. No 3.5mm aux in jack - seems like an oversight for backing tracks/iPods etc. I could setup signal path B to do this, but that seems like a hell of a waste of one signal path. Perhaps I could run the signal in via a return block and place it at the end of my normal chain?
    1. You can't move a block from Path 1 to 2, but you can copy and paste it. This has to do with how each path has its own DSP.
    2. A full editor's in the works, and it'll appear as a large panel to the right of the current Helix application. Still a few months out, unfortunately.
    3. If all goes well, Optical Trem, Ubiquitous Vibe, and Bubble Vibrato will get Tap Tempo functionality tomorrow.
    4. If you have an iOS that supports the Camera Kit, just connect it via USB; Helix will automatically route it to the outputs. You can even choose from which output it's heard (Global Settings > Ins/Outs > USB In 1/2 Destination). For all other playback devices, yes, you'd want to connect to Helix's Return(s) and place the appropriate block anywhere you want. 1/8" jacks are kinda... consumer... for a product like Helix. :)

Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Superb - thanks @Digital_Igloo!!!

1. Yup - that's been my workaround, just seems odd to have to do an extra three clicks to perform it.
    2. Great - the wait won't be a problem, it's not exactly limiting via the hardware alone!
    3. Nice B-)
    4. Didn't realise that about the camera kit trick, will have to give that a try, thanks.  And yes, ⅛" jacks don't seem "right" for it, but I guess I'm just used to seeing them on grab & go products now.

Thanks again! :)
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    well, the morons who are Auspost have lost my Helix.. hopefully they will find it soon.

In the mean time, can anyone recommend a good set of flat sounding headphones. The ones I have at the moment are far from flat..

Also, what are people planning on using for monitoring when/if you play it live? Gone are the days of me humping a cab and valve head about (especially since I now live in a 2nd floor apartmwnt with no lift) so I want to set myself up to go direct with a monitor.. the Line6 is th obvious choice, but tempted by the Friedman one (Still have and love by BE100). Any other good options?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    I use Roland RH-200 headphones,they would be perfect for your needs...