Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6327
    tFB Trader

thanks I'll give these a whirl this weekend.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4263
    Anyone finding the Helix a tad spiky and brash, go to global settings and take the input impedance down from 1M to 230k, a lot smoother imho
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7559
    edited November 2015
    ThorpyFX;842646" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Oh @thorpyfx, God's cab is very good too.

http://www.freemusiciansresource.com/VST-detail/gods-cab-impulses/

thanks I'll give these a whirl this weekend.
    No problem! I like God's for heavy stuff, but the redwirez freebie is good for classic rock and Marshall type sounds. I reckon your gunshot into a clean amp into that would record great.

Edit: don't forget lecab. And all of lepous plugins. Great stuff.

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/lecab2-vst-for-windows.html?m=1

Actually, between the reaper free trial, le pou's and a half decent interface like the behringer HD utopia, you can start recording at really good quality for very few pounds. Certainly better quality than pod farm allowed, where the cabs were not true IR's.

I tend to record the dry signal as well as wet so I can reamp a good take using the same plug ins and tweak to my heart's content. It's been a while since I did any recording, but it's very addictive and the results a home musician can get these days with a laptop and free software is pretty mind blowing.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Still not quite there, however this is my first stab at my Friedman replacement patch:

My headphones aren't great to they are probably colouring the tone a bit, but any tips/comments welcome. I've already got some ideas on how to add a better solo switch and a clean channel.
    Some good videos out there now..

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Link seems to be dead.
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    Link seems to be dead.
    you have to sign up and put it in your cart (still free)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Drew_fx;843485" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Link seems to be dead.
    I can't remember how I got it, that looks like it should work though.

It's a decent cab ir though, have you tried it? Considering it's free, it's very good, much better than the shite pod farm had. Still, lecab is my overall winner. Talking all this has gotten me excited about recording again, so hopefully I'll get some time soon...

The amp sims in pod farm were all fairly decent, but the cabs were awful.
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx;843485" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Link seems to be dead.
    I can't remember how I got it, that looks like it should work though.

It's a decent cab ir though, have you tried it? Considering it's free, it's very good, much better than the shite pod farm had. Still, lecab is my overall winner. Talking all this has gotten me excited about recording again, so hopefully I'll get some time soon...

The amp sims in pod farm were all fairly decent, but the cabs were awful.
    can't try it till the weekend, ill report back here when i have though.
  • Anyone done a comparison of the Helix with the POD HD500?
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited November 2015
    Something that may have been answered but I forgot.

Is it possible to assign a parameter change and back to a stomp button?

Basically to go from [amp with low gain setting] to [same amp with different settings] with a stomp switch and only one amp block.
    sweepy said:
    Anyone finding the Helix a tad spiky and brash, go to global settings and take the input impedance down from 1M to 230k, a lot smoother imho

In the POD HD there was an AUTO setting that changed it depending on whatever was first in the modelled chain.
  • so did you all get your orders yet ? I was imagining a lot more reports than i've seen so far...

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    so did you all get your orders yet ? I was imagining a lot more reports than i've seen so far...

Yes, looking forward to some reports too ;)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10087
    so did you all get your orders yet ? I was imagining a lot more reports than i've seen so far...
    Yes, I'm a wee bit surprised that there hasn't been more forthcoming... Common guys, give us the low down !
    edited November 2015
    Been experimenting with my Helix through a pair of active wedge monitors, so far so good :) The output seemed a little hot for the aux input f my Digidesign 003r, so more experimenting with spdif, when I get a break from decorating
  • so did you all get your orders yet ? I was imagining a lot more reports than i've seen so far...
    We still haven't cleared pre orders yet. Thats before we even get to normal dealer stock orders!

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Getting some deliciously rich Robin Guthrie tones in stereo, in quadraphonic I may just need hallucinogens ;)
    hugbot said:
    Something that may have been answered but I forgot.

Is it possible to assign a parameter change and back to a stomp button?

Basically to go from [amp with low gain setting] to [same amp with different settings] with a stomp switch and only one amp block.
    Yes you can do that no problem. You can assign any parameter to a foot switch with a min and max value the switch then changes between those 2 settings. you can assign multiple blocks to a single switch and even multiple parameters on a single block and change multiple blocks with the one foot press. (EG Change amp gain, Master volume to compensate, increase delay time and feedback of a delay block, turn on a drive pedal etc all with 1 button press).
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bit of a Helix update, used it one of the local jam sessions last Sunday, direct into the PA, apparently sounded great out front, but tbh if I did it again I'd take a powered wedge with me for fold back, or at least a pair of headphones . The Minotaur/Klon clone is a bit disappointing tbh, certainly not very Klon like imho, having played a couple and compared it to my clone ( which I compared directly to an original ) it comes across as a bit "fizzy". Apart from that and I feel it needs the chrome bars as fitted to other line 6 floor units to protect the knobs, I can't see this going anywhere ;)
    Did you have no monitor at all? how did you hear yourself?