Yamaha 12 String light gauge?

What's Hot
Hi,

Have a Yamaha 12 string : FG-410-12A very tough playing, should I get a light string gauge please?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    When I last had a 12-string (years ago) I used to down-tune it two semi-tones (so D- G - C - F - A - D low to high), and put a capo on the second fret - worked a treat in making it easier to play.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Depends on how high the action is. The above advice might work but you could also try to lower the action by sanding down the base of the saddle (carefully).
    Tunig down to D is a good idea, puts less stress on the neck and the bridge.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    You certainly shouldn't use anything heavier than 10s on it if you want to tune it to concert pitch (E-E). Heavier gauges than that are for tuning down, as all 12-strings were originally. 9s might even be OK if you're only playing at concert. Bear in mind 12-string sets are equivalent in tension to 6-string sets about 40% heavier, ie a 12-string set of 10s has roughly the same tension as a 6-string set of 14s.

It's also quite likely the guitar needs a set-up - an over-high action will make a 12-string almost impossible to play, much worse than a 6-string. It's not just the bridge height - the nut height and neck relief need to be even more accurately done than on a 6-string as well, if it's to play its best - and it will also play in tune better, since the intonation depends on both those things. Neck relief can change over time as the tension affects the wood, so it is quite likely it will need doing even if it was fine originally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom