Template for guitar body - newb question

What's Hot

I always thought that you got (or made) a template for a guitar body and then just used it as is, but I was looking into it for the first time a day or two ago, and this guy used the template to make another (thicker) template first! Is this the done thing? Seems like a lot of work ……

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited June 2015
    Hi @axisus

It depends what you are using the template for and with and how long a router bit you're using.  If you are using a top-bearing trimmer router bit:

then by the time the bearing reaches the template, the cutter is already (depending on its length) 25mm or more deep.  If you are routing around the external profile of a body, that's no problem - the cut is just that depth:

...but if you are routing a chamber - and that chamber is shallower than the router bit - then you have a problem.

The solution is that you have to raise the template up from the body surface by an appropriate amount.  In that event, I don't cut another accurate template, but just a piece of appropriately thick MDF with a big enough hole in it to act as a spacer.  I think I've got a photo somewhere - I'll try and find it.

Andy

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Was the bloke in the video making a master template first? So he can make further templates easily if the one in use becomes worn or gets damaged maybe?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    hobbio said:
    Was the bloke in the video making a master template first? So he can make further templates easily if the one in use becomes worn or gets damaged maybe?
    Ah...that's a point!  ;)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I don't think that it was a 'master' he seemed to be making a thicker template for some reason, around 3/4 of an inch I think

Come to think of it, it wasn't a video, it was a thread on TDRPI
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16917
    edited June 2015
    hobbio said:
    this is the normal reason.

if making templates from scratch its easier to get an accurate shape on 1/4" material.   But as andy says you often want to do routing with a thicker template.  so the 1/4" template becomes the master and the thicker ones become working templates

i must admit i often can't be bothered, but there are times i wish i had  ;)