Your finished projects

What's Hot

Comments

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Lovely job - bet it sounds as good as it looks 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited November 2020
    I've finished building the AmpMaker WF-55 kit. I built the case myself from some aluminium, drilled, cut, brushed and sealed.
    Pleased with out it came out visually and sonically. The sound quality of this amp is excellent, very clear and detailed. Takes pedals very well too. No issues driving my 212.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dsgbdsgb Frets: 46
    edited January 2021
    Here are some photographs of the Brian May Red Special replica which I completed building in June 2020. I appreciate that not every guitar player or enthusiast like Queen, Brian May's music and playing style and/or his home made guitar. I'm totally cool with that but this was something I wanted to do for many years and I'm finally moving on from a satisfying BM/Queen phase to learning and playing Pink Floyd/David Gilmour material.

At the link to my website below, there are 60 numbered articles covering every part of the project plus four additional articles describing the design process, covering tools and tips and listing the materials, parts & suppliers. These are richly illustrated with hundreds of detailed pictures and should be of general interest to Queen and Brian May enthusiasts including anybody who is considering embarking on a similar mission.

https://dsgb.net/projects/redspecial/

Doug

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dsgbdsgb Frets: 46
    Here are some pictures of my first ever guitar build project: a 3/4 scale Brian May Red Special. You can find full details at my website:

• 19 inch scale, 75% size body inspired by the BMG Mini May
    • 7.25″ radius ebony fretboard with 4 mm diameter mother-of-pearl marker dots following the original pattern
    • Optima Gold 2028M 0.011-0.050 strings tuned to open F to give 81 lbs total tension
    • Brown bakelite nut fashioned from a vintage radio case; black bakelite truss rod cover
    • Authentic Red Special body and headstock shape
    • Burns Mini Tri-Sonic Red Special pickup set (neck: 7.20 kΩ, middle: 7.20 kΩ reverse polarity magnet, bridge: 7.85 kΩ DC resistances)
    • Custom made original Brian May style roller bridge
    • One piece solid mahogany body (with control cavity only) and original size white plastic binding
    • Copper foil lined control chamber
    • Original Brian May style tremolo tailpiece with shortened tremolo arm and authentic spring rate
    • One piece mahogany neck mounted with four polished M6 stainless steel hex bolts and stainless steel threaded inserts.
    • Jim Dunlop 6105 fretwire
    • Switchcraft jack socket
    • Custom made 75% scaled pickguard set, 3 mm gloss black acrylic
    • 5 mm wide, 1.75 mm thick black perspex pickup surrounds
    • Hand made KZ Super style aluminium switch mount plate
    • 6 Switchcraft 46200LRX series white pickup switches for on/off and in/out of phase switching
    • Schaller locking tuning heads with Gotoh style white pearloid tuning buttons
    • Custom made 3/4 scale aluminium skirted control knobs with knurled grips
    • Matched 250 kΩ Bourns volume and tone pots and 30.9 nF tone cut capacitor
    • Stained with a mix of Rustins red and brown mahogany penetrating wood dyes to emulate the original as closely as possible
    • Weight 2.58 kg (5 lb 11 oz) compared to 2.29 kg (5 lb 01 oz) for the modified BMG Mini May

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Jinkies, some cracking stuff on here. 
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1484
    Hi,
    As I have mentioned in other threads, I got myself a knackered Epiphone so I could fix it, adapt it a bit and use it for daily practice without worrying about my kids scratching it etc. It's a plywood body with Epiphone pickups (sound good to me). The tuners were completely loose, the jack did not even engage with the contacts inside the guitar, one of the pickups had a disconnected cable, there was a missing knob... poor thing.

So I had a look on eBay (before finding this forum, regrettably) and bought the components, then with a bit of patience and help from my daughter I fitted everything. My only complaint is that the jack plate is flat and thus does not fit the curved body perfectly (suggestions are welcome). But aside from that, it plays great and sounds even better. Heck, it even makes ME sound good! 

Here are a few pictures of the before and after:

Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CheesyfeetCheesyfeet Frets: 16
    edited April 2021
    This is my first home build from scratch.  Pretty happy how it's turned out as it's mostly a learning exercise for home building after a 6 day Crimson course last October.

Plenty of things I've learnt along the way and would probably do slightly differently next time!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This is my first home build from scratch.  Pretty happy how it's turned out as it's mostly a learning exercise for home building after a 6 day Crimson course last October.

Plenty of things I've learnt along the way and would probably do slightly differently next time!
    Damn, that looks so fine. Where did you source the neck? Why did you choose that particular headstock? Did you make the truss rod cover yourself? What wood is it made of? 

Awesome work. 
    Jon

Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• The neck is mahogany, but that's a Bocote veneer on the headstock.  It wasn't originally planned, but I may have got a bit carried away reducing the headstock thickness, so needed to bulk it back up a bit.  It was a headstock veneer from Rothko & Frost and, being bocote was a bit of a PITA to work with (oily and a bit fragile!)

Headstock shape was a result of me siting down with a pencil and playing around until I came up with something I liked.

Everything made by myself except the hardware - truss rod cover is some spalted beech I had laying around.

Guess I'll need to think about making the next one now :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    The neck is mahogany, but that's a Bocote veneer on the headstock.  It wasn't originally planned, but I may have got a bit carried away reducing the headstock thickness, so needed to bulk it back up a bit.  It was a headstock veneer from Rothko & Frost and, being bocote was a bit of a PITA to work with (oily and a bit fragile!)

Headstock shape was a result of me siting down with a pencil and playing around until I came up with something I liked.

Everything made by myself except the hardware - truss rod cover is some spalted beech I had laying around.

Guess I'll need to think about making the next one now

Bocote - that's an interesting choice. As for the truss rod cover, I was asking because I am in all probability going to have to make my own (or mod an existing one) for a Vintage VS6. Wanted to have a chrome one, but I don't think I've got the tools to cut it. So I might end up getting a thin wood panel to try and put one together.

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited May 2021
    Recently finished this build with a set neck guitar from @GSPBASSES that I finished with shellac, and @Alegree wide range pickups.
    Mahogany body and neck, Ebony board, evo gold frets.
    Superb woodwork as always from Graham, that neck joint is gorgeous, 
    The pickups are excellent too, proper tele DNA in there.
    Very happy with how it turned out !

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    Beautiful job there @lysander but it does mess with my head! 
  • Lockdown projects... 

The black limba (Korina) body at the front was bought shaped and routed, the Tele has a pre-owned neck and the blue green Strat object is much older. Everything else built in lockdown along with several more lap steels and another Tele. Nothing for sale as I am happy with them but they have too many flaws to sell! The mahogany Strat/Esquire has a squier 51 type scratchplate being made and there is a sister guitar to this (mahogany body and neck plus a flame maple top) in build. All the mahogany in the picture came from the late Melvyn Hiscock’s stock when we were clearing out his storage unit a couple of years ago. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    vanlooy1 said:
    GSPBasses RB6T blacktop, first ever nitro job, looks okay from a distance but close up not so much! 
    Equipped with an OilCity wrapping wharf in the bridge and a Mojo staple P90 in the neck.
    That. Is. Stunning. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    My first build (well, assembly).  A Partscaster put together by myself and my teenage son.  I already had the complete scratchplate / pickups and tuners from my 2009 US Standard Strat (upgrade to Bareknuckles + locking tuners) so picked up body, neck and trem from Northwest Guitars.  Still some setup work to do but it already plays, and sounds, very nice.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    tFB Trader
    My Everyday Electrics Delta revival project, build details here:
     https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/206218/everyday-electronics-delta-mark-ii

• vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 453
    My Everyday Electrics Delta revival project, build details here:
     https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/206218/everyday-electronics-delta-mark-ii

Very cool!
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Just finished building a nice light LP kit that I bought off a nice bloke here on the forums. 3.5kgs 

I used McNelly pickups from Canada and had Jonathan at Feline @FelineGuitars tidy up the fretwork and set it up. Sounds and plays as good as I think it looks :+1: 

just needs some more light ageing and lacquer checking :)

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    I have posted most of my previous builds on here, but my last project was a bass amp inspired by the Ampeg B15 so I blogged the build over on Basschat. Here are some pics of the finished item: 

TuevLaXjpgdrTUciejpgHuXMkU9jpg7ZmGEVfjpg30g80kcjpgnMabmPFjpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom