My PRS EG3

What's Hot
bignormbignorm Frets: 196
edited August 2015 in Guitar
I bought this EG3 a while back and although I love the feel of it, the single coil set up that came as standard aren't anywhere near as powerful as the Lindy Fralins that were fitted to the next generation of EGII's.
http://i.imgur.com/tCHn0ny.jpg
The Seymour Duncan's just doesn't have the balls of the Fralins, so after a bit of research, I decided to fit a couple of single coil voiced humbuckers from Creamery Pick ups and a rewound Dragon humbucker to make the guitar a bit hotter.
Part of the delay in getting the guitar done was waiting for Jaime to respond to emails before I could actually order the pick ups. He's so bloody slow in responding to emails. Grr
My EG is now kitted out with a mirror plate from Scratch-It and sporting a couple of Creamery Domino's plus a Rewound Prs Dragon P'up in the bridge position.
The five way selector splits the bridge humbucker for inbetween the single coil tones, there's a push push switch on the tone pot which bypasses the vol pot and selector switch. This gives me the bridge humbucker on full vol which is ideal for lead breaks!
The loaded scratch plate can be easily returned to original as everything was done without modifying the guitar body.
As the first generation of EG's didn't have winged tuners, I finished the guitar off with a set of schaller locking tuners. http://i.imgur.com/U6DcnBd.jpg
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7430
    edited July 2015
    Didnt you need to route it? I've still got your ce24, still not played it because it's still being fixed haha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    Interesting looking pickup set.

That strap is an awesome colour, what is it?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I nearly bought one of those but in the end I went for a PRS with P90s. Glad I did, it's a great guitar.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248

Looks like a purple diMarzio Cliplock to me!
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 196
    guitarfishbay;703736" said:

Its a Dimarzio clip lock, I fit them to all my guitars coz I hate faffing around with straps and strap buttons.

edited July 2015
    DefaultM said:
    Didnt you need to route it? I've still got your ce24, still not played it because it's still being fixed haha.
    The EG's all came routed for humbuckers or single coils, so no major surgary was needed.
    I've just bought an original humbucker and two single coiled loaded plate from the states for £63.
    That means I can whip the strings off and swap out a choice of three loaded scratch plates for recording as the mood takes me.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Did you have an original dragon or dragon ii rewound?
    Adam_MD said:
    Did you have an original dragon or dragon ii rewound?

It's a Dragon, I got it from guitargeek62 who had one coil rewoundd by Mojo Pick ups.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3352
    My EG has a HSH set up with coil taps and the single coil is a Fralin. It's an excellent guitar and I don't appear to have the neck pocket cracking issue that some have.

I swapped my CU24 for it and some cash and prefer "the less blingy" and more versatile guitar which to me gives me great representations of a Strat, Les Paul and even a bit of a Tele.
    edited July 2015
    Kebabkid said:
    My EG has a HSH set up with coil taps and the single coil is a Fralin. It's an excellent guitar and I don't appear to have the neck pocket cracking issue that some have.

I swapped my CU24 for it and some cash and prefer "the less blingy" and more versatile guitar which to me gives me great representations of a Strat, Les Paul and even a bit of a Tele.

Ask most people what they think of when you say PRS and they'll mention expensive guitars with over the top stripes tops and bird inlays etc... They forget that underneath the bling there's a well made guitar and over the years, they've designed some classic models that are well worth a mention.
    The EG range was designed by Joe Knaggs as an entry level guitar but it wasn't a great seller.
    It didn't help that the first run of guitars were plagued by a weak neck pocket resulting in cracks in the body.
    The CE guitar range is a superb too, with its different voice due to the bolt on neck construction.
    I own an alder bodied CE24 from 1989 that is great for classic rock.
    The best non bling guitar that Prs has produced in my mind, is the all mahogany standard.
    It's a superb tone monster that just screams when used with a wound up valve amp.
    I'm always in the market for another EG so if you ever decide to sell yours give me a shout.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3352
    edited July 2015

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    Hertz32 said:

Looks like a purple diMarzio Cliplock to me!
    bignorm said:
    guitarfishbay;703736" said:

Its a Dimarzio clip lock, I fit them to all my guitars coz I hate faffing around with straps and strap buttons.

Thanks guys.  Never really paid them much attention before, looks like a cool system.
    Kebabkid said:

very nice
    Kebabkid said:

Snap... I've just picked up one too here's mine
  • Are you still looking to sell the PRS EG3?  If so I might be interested.  Email me at mbrad2112@mac.com

Thanks
    edited October 2015
    After spending a fortune on pick ups and custom made made scratchplates in an effort to make the EG3 similar to my EGII's I came across another EG5 to add to my growing collection lol.
    The thing is the EG5 felt immediately at home which made me realise the EG3 just isn't for me.
    It's nice but I haven't bonded with it, the later series with its winged tuners, rounded body and different neck profile is just right.
    So I've decided to sell it on and recoup the money I've laid out rather than make the EG3 fit. It's for sale here

PRS EG3 For Sale